• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American.450 bushmaster

nagantguy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
Not by any means a precision or long range rifle by any means but I did get my hands on one of the flat dark earth stocked examples. It’s inside the first 1000 made for Randy’s guns in Bad Axe MI. For those that don’t know MI has a limited firearms zone for deer hunting where until a few years ago only slug guns and muzzle loading rifles were allowed for the firearms deer season- now straight walled rifle cartridges 1.8 inches in length and below are allowed.
Randys guns saw a market and asked ruger to make this specific rifle and said he could sell 10,000 ruger was skeptical and the first run was 1000. This rifle is inside that first 1000- initial range report is brief because of rain but the first 3 rounds were inside one inch at 50 yards. The Vortex Strike Eagle I had sitting around for a future project seems a good fit . Keeps with the short light footprint of the system.
been loving my AR in 450 had been wanting a bolt gun in same flavor and came across a screaming deal with some ammo and extras. Funny as it may sound this is becoming my favorite cartridge. Does exactly what is advertised- good accuracy inside 250 yards with devastating results on game . Cheap enough brass- easy to load for- not found a stinker combination yet and hunting farm and swamp land in my AO over 300 yard shot is almost never a possibility. Of course out west and further north in MI I hunt with rifle sized cartridges. I’ve shot at 3 MI bucks with the 450 AR thus far- small cull buck to decent 7 point to large 7 point and all dead inside 40 yards with insides spaghettified. For 80% of my hunting needs this fits the bill as good or better than any other tool I’ve used . To me it’s a winner!

Reactions: b6graham
I don’t have a have a ruger American but I too am a Michigan man and have come to love the 450. Fairly easy to reload. I have a CA Mesa in 450BM and used to hunt with a 450 AR. I have taken some nice bucks with it as well!

I bought one of them, and had it reamed to 45 Raptor (basically 460 S&W magnum with a .308 bolt face). It's not *exactly* a 45 Raptor because the 450 Bushmaster case has a bit of taper to it, so my once fired (45 Raptor) brass come out a bit funky looking. Right above the web of the case, they blow out to the 450 BM OD, but they're longer than the BM case. I call it my 45 BushRaptor.

Anyhow, that thing, with some 60k PSI loads and a SiCo Hybrid is a hell of a lot of fun... and I don't doubt that it'd do what needs doing on any game animal in North America.

I bought one of them, and had it reamed to 45 Raptor (basically 460 S&W magnum with a .308 bolt face). It's not *exactly* a 45 Raptor because the 450 Bushmaster case has a bit of taper to it, so my once fired (45 Raptor) brass come out a bit funky looking. Right above the web of the case, they blow out to the 450 BM OD, but they're longer than the BM case. I call it my 45 BushRaptor.

Anyhow, that thing, with some 60k PSI loads and a SiCo Hybrid is a hell of a lot of fun... and I don't doubt that it'd do what needs doing on any game animal in North America.
I’ll be playing with some 300 xtp mags and some Cutting Edge monos and some heavy cast lead boolits and no doubt you are correct- any game in North America inside 300. Becoming my favorite cartridge like i said . This short little compact bolt gun just seems to fit my hunting style and is kinda the walking around rifle ive always envisioned and have like many of us built and bought several that were close but not “it”.

Well it can shoot sub moa groups with factory and handloads 92CFF4E2-DCCA-48DC-AB27-E98CA7F3FF15.jpeg
Pretty good for a “budget rifle” that costs about $400 new.
the hand load was Hornady 240 XTP mag over a healthy dose of LILLGUN. Deer bear and pig are the main menu- I think this may be “the” little walking around rifle .

Reactions: E. Bryant
Well my second American- other in 7.62x39 and I’ve haven’t done much with it- but on an example that went through actual quality control you get a short light handy little free floated carbine with an adjustable trigger- on both th x39 and the .450 the set screw backed all the way out gives a 3.5 lbs trigger with just a little creep and grit. The plan for both is a walking around hunting /varmint rigs and decent accuracy and under 6 pounds isn’t bad for an out of the box mass produced rifle.

Reactions: Laskey0104