• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American barrel fluting

Diabeetus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2022
Louisiana
Alright,

I’m thinking of picking up a Ruger American in .308 for a project. What I am thinking about doing is eventually getting the barrel cut down and fluted as well. Anybody have experience with doing this and how your gun turned out. I know the Gen 2s have fluted barrels but I want the barrel to be 16 inches, which the Ranch are. But they are not offered in .308.

Thanks

Alright,

I’m thinking of picking up a Ruger American in .308 for a project. What I am thinking about doing is eventually getting the barrel cut down and fluted as well. Anybody have experience with doing this and how your gun turned out. I know the Gen 2s have fluted barrels but I want the barrel to be 16 inches, which the Ranch are. But they are not offered in .308.

Thanks
If you can find one of these, they're already cut down to 16" and chambered in .308 Win... It's got a true heavy barrel, so it's heavier than the Ranch or Predator models, but you could always have it fluted by someone.

Because the Ranch uses an AR length action.
This is incorrect information. The Ranch uses a regular American short-action. The stocks have an adapter in them to allow you to use AR mags. I know, because I own one, and have it in a standard Ruger American short-action Magpul stock, and use AICS .223 mags for it, instead of the AR mags.

They offer the Ranch in 6.5 Creed, which is the same action as a .308 Win. Not sure why they don't offer it in 16" 7mm-08 and .308 Win, maybe next year...

I doubt you’ll find many people buying $400 economy rifles and then spending as much or more as the whole rifle cost on machining work to cut, thread, and flute it.

If you’re dead set on this I’d just make sure you shoot it for accuracy first.

Personally though I’d just buy the gen 2 and deal with another 4” of barrel or buy one of the new 700 SPS tactical 16.5” 308’s for less money than you’ll have into the Ruger. At least that way if the barrel has stress and shoots like shit after it’s fluted you have a decent action to work with and out of the box it comes with a much better trigger and aftermarket support is far better as well.

Reactions: Modoc