• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ruger american compact in .243?

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
has anyone used one and care to share some groups?

i was grazing at the local gander mtn, they had a used axis there for 250.00, got me thinking about adding a coyote only rifle. can get a new ruger american compact for 300.00, would rather go that route i think.

i like the idea of the factory 18" barrel (no need for cutting down for handling), and if running .243 58gr vmaxes, i should still be able to pull off 3600+fps out of the shorter barrel. shorter LOP ok, i got stumpy arms.

i reload, so mid weight bullets shouldn't be a problem either

any input on accuracy of the compact in .243?

Not 243,but I picked my 10year old son up the compact 223 and it will keep the 62gr barnes triple shock inside a quarter at a 100 I say go for it cause when it gets cold and u have all that clothing on the lop won't feel that short.

that's what i was thinking on the LOP, with all the insulated stuff i got on during our "hot" coyote season, it should be even steven. just hafta site in with the same amount / similiar padding, or if not working out just order another full size stock from ruger parts catalog.

i recently got a ruger american rimfire, very impressed with it for the price both in build and accuracy for the price.

this year i've played around with a .243 rem700 heavy varmint, it's quickly becoming my favorite cartridge.

any other .243 ruger american inputs?