• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American essentials?

4O6shootist

F. J. B.
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
First off......I rarely buy cheap shit. Go by the buy once cry once get what you pay for philosophy. However I was in desire for a cheap truck gun of low value. Wanted it threaded for my ultra7, cheap available ammo, and low recoil. I found a 6creed predator on sale for 430$ locally, and with 5 boxes of Horandy match and Sierra tgk ammo, was out the door for 600$. I'll be topping with an Athlon Helos g2 2-12x42. Debating of throwing it into an Indian creek chassis since I don't much care for the stock. So ruger owners, help me make some changes, trigger mods, bolt knobs, shroud levels, whatever you suggest? Tips on lighting the bolt lift? All input in the ruger American would be appreciated!

Not really helpful, however just finished up my “truck” gun. Ruger Ranch 556. Trigger is about 3.5 lbs and not terrible. For a lightweight beater it’s a decent factory setup. The paper contains (2) 3 shot groups. Other 2 rounds are initial sight in with the Ruger and my tikka 300. Shot at 1/2 moa with the Burris 1-6
1B2671AF-AA4C-4284-A8F8-FFD036FBCDF4.jpeg

I had one and lightened the trigger pull on my own. All I did was look for a different spring with less tension and significantly brought it down. You have to play around with different springs until you find the right one. At least that's what I did. I am in no way saying this is safe for everyone and anyone to do. In my personal rifle, it was safe as I drop tested it multiple times. Do not attempt modifying your trigger if you are not competent.

Ok, now that we got that outta the way, you should look into the Oryx chassis, I know magpul makes their hunter stock for this rifle. I suppose that is a decent option as well.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I bought one for my kid for his first deer rifle. I got the package with the cheap vortex and it's surprisingly good. He has killed a few deer with it and I didn't want to spend too much since it was going to be used and abused. I've shot it a few times, but I don't think I've done anything to it at all.

Honesty I was in the same boat as you. Looked for a cheaper beater truck gun. I have a bunch of customs, but sometimes it’s nice to just throw around a cheap gun or have a buddy come with you and not give him something crazy expensive! I adjusted the trigger and left mine as is. The second I put more money in it, it begins to defeat the purpose! They shoot really well.

I upgraded with the Timney trigger and a Bell and Carlson stock. Both were really good upgrades.

Left mine as is. Shoots hornady match ammo around .6 inch groups . I even thought about taking it to the nrl hunter match in factory division. If I can get a arca rail on it I just might

Plans at the moment:
Cut 2 coils off factory trigger spring, as from research this will give me 1# trigger pull.

Ordered the Athlon Helos g2, seekins rings with 30mm bubble level.

Ordered an Anarchy outdoor bolt handle w/ long A419 bolt knob.

This should lighten bolt lift with more leverage and decrease trigger pull to acceptable levels.

Really considering the Indian creek mofo chassis, Johnny forend and a smoke industries carbon buttstock. Will increase the rifles weight approx 5oz.

Left mine as is. Shoots hornady match ammo around .6 inch groups . I even thought about taking it to the nrl hunter match in factory division. If I can get a arca rail on it I just might
Unfortunately af that point, you'll no longer be in factory class under nrl hunter regs, unless you're utilizing factory mounting points. I've pondered a good starting point for nrl hunter factory class gun. The Christensen MPR, seekins havak, and Springfield waypoint are the best options for using an arca.

I got a RAP in 6.5 creed as a beater truck gun and was surprised at how well it shot. I clipped a couple of coils off of the factory trigger spring (search for Dan Newberry instructions) and replaced the bolt handle with a factory RPR. The flexible plastic stock drove me nuts so I replaced it with the Magpul. It is a great shooter and it works better than I imagined in the role.

I have had 3 of these in 6mm cartridges and I still have the 243 I bought. The one thing I can say that I consistently did with all of them was replace the the factory scope with an EGW 20moa base. just clean the threads in the receiver extremely well and use blue Loctite. Best $35 I spent.

I have had 3 of these in 6mm cartridges and I still have the 243 I bought. The one thing I can say that I consistently did with all of them was replace the the factory scope with an EGW 20moa base. just clean the threads in the receiver extremely well and use blue Loctite. Best $35 I spent.
Did you have the first gen rifles with 0moa weaver style rail? Mine looks to be mil spec picatinny 0moa. This will likely not be shot past 600y so feeling 0moa is enough.

Did you have the first gen rifles with 0moa weaver style rail? Mine looks to be mil spec picatinny 0moa. This will likely not be shot past 600y so feeling 0moa is enough.
It's possible but they were purchased years apart and the last one I bought was the 6 creedmoor predator rotary mag version. They had the same goofy weaver with 6 or so slots. I have just standardized on 20 moa bases on my bolt rifles.

Mine liked the Berger 105 VLD Hunter btw.

It's possible but they were purchased years apart and the last one I bought was the 6 creedmoor predator rotary mag version. They had the same goofy weaver with 6 or so slots. I have just standardized on 20 moa bases on my bolt rifles.

Mine liked the Berger 105 VLD Hunter btw.
Mine is aics mag, pic rail. Have lapua SRP brass and 108 elite hunters en route. Gonna push em fast with RL26.

I’m looking to build a Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39. I’ve found everything except the receiver. Anyone have any leads? Building because nobody has them in stock anywhere.

I got a RAP in 6.5 creed as a beater truck gun and was surprised at how well it shot. I clipped a couple of coils off of the factory trigger spring (search for Dan Newberry instructions) and replaced the bolt handle with a factory RPR. The flexible plastic stock drove me nuts so I replaced it with the Magpul. It is a great shooter and it works better than I imagined in the role.
Jimichanga,

What are your feelings on the Magpul stock? My son has outgrown his compact and I am looking for a full sized stock. We are not really into the precision shooting to justify a regular chassis at this time.

Thanks.

First off......I rarely buy cheap shit. Go by the buy once cry once get what you pay for philosophy. However I was in desire for a cheap truck gun of low value. Wanted it threaded for my ultra7, cheap available ammo, and low recoil. I found a 6creed predator on sale for 430$ locally, and with 5 boxes of Horandy match and Sierra tgk ammo, was out the door for 600$. I'll be topping with an Athlon Helos g2 2-12x42. Debating of throwing it into an Indian creek chassis since I don't much care for the stock. So ruger owners, help me make some changes, trigger mods, bolt knobs, shroud levels, whatever you suggest? Tips on lighting the bolt lift? All input in the ruger American would be appreciated!
anarchy outdoors has replacement arms and knobs along with a bunch of other items for the RAs

My cheap beater Ruger American rifles both shoot very well and have not to bad triggers - made sure everything was tight added decent glass and they bounce around truck and camper and tractor and in and out of tree stands and one lives in the barn- can’t ask any more from a rifle at any price .
Actually killed my last 5 deer with one in .450bm

Jimichanga,

What are your feelings on the Magpul stock? My son has outgrown his compact and I am looking for a full sized stock. We are not really into the precision shooting to justify a regular chassis at this time.

Thanks.
The crappy factory stock on the Ruger American is definitely the weakest link. The Magpul stock while not fancy by any means is a good upgrade. The stock will not flex like the factory stock if you put a bipod on it. Moreover, it has adustable comb height and length of pull for a growing boy. I would purchase it again.

Reactions: Modoc