• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American gen 2 options for new “plinking” bolt gun

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
So am looking at the new RA G2s ranch for a possible fun plinking rifle. Ideally I would like to shoot out to at least 1k yards and in. I would reload for this but would also like factory ammo availability. What do you guys recommend?

RA 5.56- I used to own a RPR in 5.56 a long time ago and it was a fun gun to shoot. Plenty of good factory ammo support. I know some people stretch out the 5.56/.223 to 1k but it might be a struggle.

RA 22 ARC- interesting fast round with good barrel life from what is said which is a pro. Not much factory ammo support as of now but it seems like 1k should be easier to reach than with the 5.56.

RA 6.5 Grendel- I have own a RA G1 in Grendel before and it was fun. Am sure with a good load 1k would be easy to achieve. Plus I already have a good supply of light 6.5 bullets.

Another thing to consider is that I would get rid of the factory stock and drop it in one of the new MDT field stocks and run AICS mags. It seems like that shouldn’t be a problem but what do you guys think?

Why is that a better option for you?
Well, 6mm bullets are heavier and bigger than .22 bullets. Therefore it's going to be better for long range than anything .22 caliber. And the 6mm 110-115gr bullets are going to have a MUCH better BC than the 123gr 6.5mm bullets for the 6.5 Grendel.

And I've been shooting the 6.5 Grendel for like 10-15 years. But that was way before the 6mm ARC came along. I also have a 6mm ARC in a bolt gun, and my ballistics speak for themselves with the Nosler 115 RDF's moving along at 2,575 FPS muzzle velocity. Ballistically stomps the 6.5 Grendel with 123gr bullets with a much lower BC.

Reactions: Islas82
Since you already have 6.5 bullets just go 6.5 creedmoor. That’s the super easy button or 6 creedmoor if you want to be different. If you want to do .224 bullets I would probably do a 22 creedmoor or Valkyrie

Since you already have 6.5 bullets just go 6.5 creedmoor. That’s the super easy button or 6 creedmoor if you want to be different. If you want to do .224 bullets I would probably do a 22 creedmoor or Valkyrie
My main rifle is a 6.5 creedmoor.

Well, 6mm bullets are heavier and bigger than .22 bullets. Therefore it's going to be better for long range than anything .22 caliber. And the 6mm 110-115gr bullets are going to have a MUCH better BC than the 123gr 6.5mm bullets for the 6.5 Grendel.

And I've been shooting the 6.5 Grendel for like 10-15 years. But that was way before the 6mm ARC came along. I also have a 6mm ARC in a bolt gun, and my ballistics speak for themselves with the Nosler 115 RDF's moving along at 2,575 FPS muzzle velocity. Ballistically stomps the 6.5 Grendel with 123gr bullets with a much lower BC.
Something to consider for sure. Thank you

Reactions: FuhQ
Yeah I get it. Guess I’m just a poors because my 6 creed is my precision and fun rig lol 😂

I just want something to shoot and have fun with. My 6.5CM is my precision rig.
If it’s just a fun gun, to me the answer is 100000% the 556. Very fun in a bolt gun and will be much cheaper to load for than the other 2, easier to find ammo if you don’t load and still able to ring something’s clock out past 500 yards pretty easily

Reactions: Islas82