• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Gen 2

Dgtrnr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 28, 2019
    Picked up the new gen 2 for a cheap truck gun. It’s a 600$ rifle so the things associated with one of those like a flimsy stock , an okay trigger , okay action etc are all there .

But holy crap this thing hammers in the precision category.

With reloads for my custom 6.5 it did two groups .45 - one unsuppressed one with a suppressor . Load was 140 eldm, 41.7gr H4350 , set at 2.81, fed 210 primer , Hornady brass neck sized only.

With factory Hornady 129 grain SP it did two .8 inch groups.

Will try the 143 eldx and 140 match next.

If anyone was curious about the gen 2 , my sample size of one is a hammer for a factory rifle . Hopefully more guys can chime in when they get theirs up and running !

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpeg
      IMG_9091.jpeg
      480.4 KB · Views: 100
    • IMG_9090.jpeg
      IMG_9090.jpeg
      235 KB · Views: 117
    Picked up the new gen 2 for a cheap truck gun. It’s a 600$ rifle so the things associated with one of those like a flimsy stock , an okay trigger , okay action etc are all there .

But holy crap this thing hammers in the precision category.

With reloads for my custom 6.5 it did two groups .45 - one unsuppressed one with a suppressor . Load was 140 eldm, 41.7gr H4350 , set at 2.81, fed 210 primer , Hornady brass neck sized only.

With factory Hornady 129 grain SP it did two .8 inch groups.

Will try the 143 eldx and 140 match next.

If anyone was curious about the gen 2 , my sample size of one is a hammer for a factory rifle . Hopefully more guys can chime in when they get theirs up and running !
    Mines a Gen 1 Ranch 556. The two 3 shot groups at 100 yards are hornady 55 grain steel match ammo

Center left group is initial zero on this gun and a tikka 300 WM shot
    IMG_3767.jpeg

Reactions: Dgtrnr
    It’s pretty wild how precise these things are for the cost. Does your gen 1 have the zipper sounds on the bolt ? These gen 2s seem to not have the zipper effect .

I had no idea they shot that well, pretty impressive for the cost if that's the norm!?

Seems to be a common theme for these little guys ! Two gripes I have: the AI mag well is tight and the bolt needs to be open to seat the mag. Kind of tough to pull out too.

Second the locking lever for the mag is in the way of the rear action screw. Ruger YouTube says to use a ball head allen but it’s hard to put accurate torque on it that way. I just took out the roll pin for the lever !

Fit and finish isn’t perfect but for a gun that cost less than most barrels that’ll do 1/2 min it’s hard to beat .

Reactions: tex68w
    the eldx went .57 suppressed / .72 without can

eldm , which is a hand load for a bergara b14 hmr I owned a couple years back went .63 suppressed/ .95 without can

Definitely likes to be suppressed!

Attachments

• IMG_9107.jpeg
      IMG_9107.jpeg
      319.8 KB · Views: 26
    • IMG_9109.jpeg
      IMG_9109.jpeg
      324.1 KB · Views: 25
    Big problem is that there is a burr where the blot lugs engage the receiver . It’s putting a fairly shallow scrape on the neck of my case. If I didn’t reload I wouldn’t care but it’s bugging me!

Anyone got any idea how to fix that !? I don’t want to send it off really but if that’s the only way I’m in . Tried to take a picture of the burr, you can kind of see where the brass is coloring it. It’s on the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_9110.jpeg
      IMG_9110.jpeg
      366.5 KB · Views: 114
    • IMG_9100.jpeg
      IMG_9100.jpeg
      353.9 KB · Views: 115
    Big problem is that there is a burr where the blot lugs engage the receiver . It’s putting a fairly shallow scrape on the neck of my case. If I didn’t reload I wouldn’t care but it’s bugging me!

Anyone got any idea how to fix that !? I don’t want to send it off really but if that’s the only way I’m in . Tried to take a picture of the burr, you can kind of see where the brass is coloring it. It’s on the right side.
    How about either some lapping compound or 600 grit sandpaper on a popsicle stick? Go slow and check your progress often.

Man, the Biden buck reality check stings.
    Tikkas are $600 rifles, last I looked at these, they were $350 gundeals all day.

Reactions: Bender and Dgtrnr
    Great to see some reports on these guns. Want to snag a 556 or 6.5G ranch as a truck gun.

How about either some lapping compound or 600 grit sandpaper on a popsicle stick? Go slow and check your progress often.
    That sounds good, just worry about putting abrasives in the action !

That sounds good, just worry about putting abrasives in the action !
    Flush it out thoroughly before you shoot it again. My gen1 American cleaned up very nicely and was very smooth after some light polishing and lapping the lugs. Just remember you’re deburring only, so don’t go hog wild. No power tools and you’ll be fine.

I just bought one in 7mm-08. It's an impressive deer catcher for the value you get out of it. I've also got a gen 1 American Predator in 6.5 creed that I've shot a few half minute groups with using factory Hornady loads and a cheap Vortex scope. Excellent rifles. Not a huge fan of the aesthetic on the new stocks but they are still an upgrade over the gen 1's.

Do we know if gen one aftermarket support will work with these? Things like chassis, triggers, etc.

Do we know if gen one aftermarket support will work with these? Things like chassis, triggers, etc.
    That’s a good question that I hope someone has answers to. Want to try the 12$ spring kit , if that’s not quite right the JARD trigger looks sweet . Just not sure if they are compatible with these gen 2

Reactions: TxShoalPatrol
    That’s a good question that I hope someone has answers to. Want to try the 12$ spring kit , if that’s not quite right the JARD trigger looks sweet . Just not sure if they are compatible with these gen 2
    Trigger might be an issue because of the new 3 position safety which seems to be connected to the trigger like on the gen 1. Is there a ruger rep on the hide?

Reactions: TxShoalPatrol
    Get the Timney trigger…. My experiences with Jard and their products have been less-than stellar.

I agree about Jard. Good people for sure but my experience has been below expectations. The triggers that I used have been squishy. Triggers are supposed to be sharp and then break.

Reactions: FuhQ and Dgtrnr
    @FuhQ sounds like the timney is Next up after the 12$ spring ! It’s a truck gun/beater trying to keep it cheap

@FuhQ sounds like the timney is Next up after the 12$ spring ! It’s a truck gun/beater trying to keep it cheap
    A couple buddies went with the springs, I went with the full Timney... Hands-down no comparison. While the springs are a huge improvement over stock, the full drop-in Timney will go down to like 1.25 lbs... It's crisp and very nice. For $150, it's a big upgrade in how much it will improve your shooting experience with the Rugers.

A couple buddies went with the springs, I went with the full Timney... Hands-down no comparison. While the springs are a huge improvement over stock, the full drop-in Timney will go down to like 1.25 lbs... It's crisp and very nice. For $150, it's a big upgrade in how much it will improve your shooting experience with the Rugers.
    I wonder if they are cross compatible with the gen 2? And does anyone know if there is a ruger rep floating around here !