• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American long range Target ❓

mulish

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2012
N.Texas
The Ruger American long range Target . Does anyone have any Hands-On experience with this rifle , any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

I've been interested in getting one for a while (can't have too many threaded .22LR rifles), just don't find much info on them...

Reactions: mulish
Not seen one of these in the wild yet. This and $461 MSRP for a scope for a NRL22 Base class setup looks interesting.

ETA:
22" barrel, someone at Ruger was reading threads here. Is missing the faster twist to go with that though.

I've been interested in getting one for a while (can't have too many threaded .22LR rifles), just don't find much info on them...

It is definitely a very interesting looking rifle with a nice setup on it. I have not gotten to handle one yet but I am looking forward to it hopefully it will be a shooter

Ruger has other priorities I’m guessing ( higher sales on other products?) I emailed a couple of weeks ago if they were still producing / manufacturing these , I received a reply in a couple of days about this that and the other , kind of generic and they didn’t know when more would be produced , told me to contact a dealer yada yada , a few days later I was goofing around looking at American rimfire and boom several long range for sale they sold out quick and I didn’t get one , so I guess I got a real generic email as they didn’t tell me we just finished a batch and shipping them out , oh well wait for another batch

Any updates on this rifle. Very interested in these.

Ruger has always built rifles that appealed to a lot of people. They also always used contracted barrels of “questionable quality” at best.

I finally got one and so far it is shooting decent I'm still trying to get the barrel broken and then I'll do more extensive testing. But I am not disappointed so far.

Reactions: RTH1800
Screenshot_20230302_222853_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
There’s a bunch of them for sale on Gunbroker right now.

VuHNQwG.jpg

Had one for a few months but, got rid of it. It wouldn't shoot anything much better than 1.5 MOA at 50 yards. Replaced the factory trigger with a Timney hoping that would help. It didn't.

VuHNQwG.jpg

Had one for a few months but, got rid of it. It wouldn't shoot anything much better than 1.5 MOA at 50 yards. Replaced the factory trigger with a Timney hoping that would help. It didn't.
Unfortunate. Ruger has an opportunity here - definite market for this type of 22LR IF it shoots accurately.

Reactions: GoggledIt
Unfortunate. Ruger has an opportunity here - definite market for this type of 22LR IF it shoots accurately.

Well, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must've got one of the early production models because I purchased it in November 2019. I wasn't expecting Anschutz/Vudoo accuracy but, I wasn't expecting it to be as bad it was at 50 yards. The bladed trigger came out of the box at 3lbs. but, on the plus-side, it extracted and ejected empty shells like champ. No feeding issues, either. I mounted a Meopta Optika6 4-20x50, which is a decent scope, on-par with (IMO) Leupold VX3's and the best it would do was MOA at 50 yards. Most of the time, it was consistently in the 1.25-1.5 MOA range. I spent $150 on a Timney trigger (as seen in the photo) hoping it would help but it didn't make any significant difference. I sold it after putting approximately 1500 rounds thru it. I didn't like it well enough to make the effort to fix it but have heard that addressing the half-assed way Ruger bedded it (or just dropping it into a better stock) improves accuracy somewhat.

Last edited:
VuHNQwG.jpg

I have a Ruger American Rimfire Target, same action but stainless, with a 18" stainless bull barrel. I also put a Timney trigger in mine. Accuracy is almost on par with my Ruger 10/22 Target with 20 stainless bull barrel...almost. Being a bolt action it should be better accuracy than a semi-auto, it isn't. The Timney trigger was a good improvement over the factory trigger, but that doesn't take much....and that Timney trigger is at the very bottom of all the aftermarket triggers I've put in .22lr guns. I'm not trying to say all Timney triggers set the bar low, but the one I got stumbles over a seam in the sidewalk trying to get to that low bar.
Timney1.jpg

Reactions: GoggledIt