• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ruger american predator 223

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
i know these aren't high end rifles but they do check some boxes-barrel length,twist etc. does anyone have one,shot one,watched one fired. yea,i know tikka,cz etc are superior. $ are an issue and most 223 bolts out there are 1/9 or slower.

I have a friend who has an American predator 223 . I can't really say anything bad it shoots pretty good but long strings of fire will open up the groups the stock is nothing to write home about but sufficient . obviously the action isn't as smooth as higher end rifles but its not bad . For the money I think it's a nice rifle . I had an American predator in 6.5 creedmoor and dropped it in a magpul stock and added a v6-gamma muzzle brake . I was surprised at how well the rifle performed I kind of wish I hadn't sold it but in a moment of weakness I let it go to a relative .

yea,i know tikka,cz etc are superior. $ are an issue and most 223 bolts out there are 1/9 or slower.
i looked at one but the action and all the reports of the jamming scared me and for a little more i just got a t3x lite. gunzonedeals has blued for 650

I have the Ranch 556

Below are 2-3 shot groups with hornady 55 steel match HP at 100 yards with the Burris RT6. (2 other shots are sight in for this and a 300). Uses Magpul pmags

IMG_3767.jpeg

Reactions: xsn10s
Magpul was supposed to come put with a chassis years ago that could use ar mags like the .223 and 350 legend. They still haven't. I sold my .223 and bought a trainer barrel and bolt instead. Much happier. Still have the 350l as it's a deer slayer.

Hello all:

For what it's worth I have a Ruger American Ranch (the short barreled version). I followed some internet advice (I know, I know) and used some honing compound to smooth out the bolt and put in a lighter trigger. I added an adjustable plastic cheek riser. It shoots really well out to 500-600 yards.

With a suppressor it's a great, handy, fun rifle to shoot. And I don't have too much money into it. I had a young lady that was shooting with us last week use and even though she was a new shooter she really enjoyed it and had a lot of success ringing steel.

Obviously the cartridge can only do so much and match 223 costs basically as much as match anything else these days so it doesn't really save much money unless you shoot bulk-type ammo.

Cheers,

Steve.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
No experience with the Predator model, but the Ranch version in 5.56 is one of the handiest bolt rifles I've used, and it shoots very well.

Also have a Hunter model 20" 6.5 Creedmoor. Only have about 30 rounds thru it so far. First 3 rounds out of the gun using Hornady Black 140s were all touching at 100. Threw together a random hand load with that same bullet and it stacks them into nice clusters. Only complaint I have on this one is it will not run with magpul AICS mags, only metal AI or Accurate Mags. You would think the damn thing should work with the magazine that comes with it.

The new Remington 700 ADL 223 has a 1-8" twist. Sportsman's price is close to their Ruger American Predator price. I just cancelled one in lieu of a 7mm RM. I'm still not sure I made the right choice. The standard ADL has a 24" 1-8" 5R barrel. The ADL Varmint has a 26" 1-8 5R barrel. The ADL Varmint is more of course.

thanks for replies all. will look closer on the rem models. but,i have seen nor heard anything positive about new 700s. even had one that didn't have rifling go all the way to the crown. heard nothing good about new 700s from friends or smiths. hope yours work out and i will look again.

thanks for replies all. will look closer on the rem models. but,i have seen nor heard anything positive about new 700s. even had one that didn't have rifling go all the way to the crown. heard nothing good about new 700s from friends or smiths. hope yours work out and i will look again.
Hmm I've heard nothing like that. Any links?

My local ffl had an order of 10 Rem 700’s. 3 had either no rifling or no chamber cut. Can’t remember which but all 3 had the same issue

no just word of mouth and my own experience. i looked all over for 1/8 reasonably priced ones. some around and yea prices are close to rugers. will look local at bass pro or cabelas. i can't believe that most sites that sell rifles won't show twist rate! kinda important i'd say.

My local ffl had an order of 10 Rem 700’s. 3 had either no rifling or no chamber cut. Can’t remember which but all 3 had the same issue
And just to clarify these were the new RemArms Remingtons? In any case it looks like mine was ordered so I'll know Monday if this is the case. I'll report on rifling and chamber if/ when I see it.

forgot. my LGS had an order of 10 870s express 12g had to return 7 of them wouldn't feed. a shame. the wingmaster was a great shotgun. don't see em as owners aren't selling unless they're rode hard put up wet. same goes for 700s. when they came out they were everything the model 70 was plus some.

And just to clarify these were the new RemArms Remingtons? In any case it looks like mine was ordered so I'll know Monday if this is the case. I'll report on rifling and chamber if/ when I see it.
Sorry, I believe this was prior to what you’re referring to. Supposed to be better recently but I’ve signed off on owning any Rem 700 factory rifles for the time being. Probably a couple years ago to what I’m referring to. As of recently I’ve bought and recommend Tikka

Sorry, I believe this was prior to what you’re referring to. Supposed to be better recently but I’ve signed off on owning any Rem 700 factory rifles for the time being. Probably a couple years ago to what I’m referring to. As of recently I’ve bought and recommend Tikka
Not a problem. It's understandable with the reports on some of the late Remingtons. It's funny I remember when Tikkas were considered the "economy" division of Sako. They are a fine, accurate rifle. Strange how things can come full circle.

Reactions: mosin46
forgot. my LGS had an order of 10 870s express 12g had to return 7 of them wouldn't feed. a shame. the wingmaster was a great shotgun. don't see em as owners aren't selling unless they're rode hard put up wet. same goes for 700s. when they came out they were everything the model 70 was plus some.
Yeah I heard some of the late 870's were just horrible. The one I did see about three months ago looked fine. But some of the videos of the fit and finish of the near bankruptcy 870s looked bad. Mine has been running fine since the 90's.