• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American predator PSA

M76

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2019
I know there are some folks here just getting started and building on a budget. I wanted to pass something along I discovered today on a Ruger American in 223 I was setting the scope up on for my father in law. I put my level on the factory installed rail and leveled the rifle. After installing the scope and rings I put a bipod on it and went to site it in. When I shoulderd the rifle the crosshairs were canted. I checked the bipod to insure both legs were collapsed completely. All was good. Being a budget rifle I figured maybe the sling stud was off center or maybe the hole for the sling attachment wasn't perpendicular to the stock. Nope that wasn't it. Long story short it turns out the factory rail was built backwards. The hole spacing for the rail mount is the same front and back on the American. However, the top of the action is not an equidistant arc centered on the mounting screw holes. I was able to flip the rail 180 degrees and everything leveled out. Judging by the relief cuts on one end of the rail it was intended for the relief cuts to face the back of the rifle to allow bolt clearance when cycling the action. They aren't actually needed but they mimic the lines along the back of the action. Just thought I would pass this along and maybe save somebody else some frustration. Pictures attached for reference.

Attachments

• 20200705_165552.jpg
    20200705_165552.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200705_211313.jpg
    20200705_211313.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200705_211429.jpg
    20200705_211429.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 61
I know there are some folks here just getting started and building on a budget. I wanted to pass something along I discovered today on a Ruger American in 223 I was setting the scope up on for my father in law. I put my level on the factory installed rail and leveled the rifle. After installing the scope and rings I put a bipod on it and went to site it in. When I shoulderd the rifle the crosshairs were canted. I checked the bipod to insure both legs were collapsed completely. All was good. Being a budget rifle I figured maybe the sling stud was off center or maybe the hole for the sling attachment wasn't perpendicular to the stock. Nope that wasn't it. Long story short it turns out the factory rail was built backwards. The hole spacing for the rail mount is the same front and back on the American. However, the top of the action is not an equidistant arc centered on the mounting screw holes. I was able to flip the rail 180 degrees and everything leveled out. Judging by the relief cuts on one end of the rail it was intended for the relief cuts to face the back of the rifle to allow bolt clearance when cycling the action. They aren't actually needed but they mimic the lines along the back of the action. Just thought I would pass this along and maybe save somebody else some frustration. Pictures attached for reference.

I have seen a lot of Americans before via two FB groups and have seen no one mention this. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing