• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Predator?

Steve_O

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Hey all, I have a new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and was thinking about putting that barreled action into a chassis as a beginner PRS/hunting rifle. Is that barreled action worth putting into a chassis accuracy wise?

I think there’s some good info already on the hide. But I’ve read some good reviews. I think it’s a similar action to the RPR which is a reliable moa shooter out of the box based on the RPR thread here on the hide.

Hey all, I have a new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and was thinking about putting that barreled action into a chassis as a beginner PRS/hunting rifle. Is that barreled action worth putting into a chassis accuracy wise?

The barrel is pretty thin for PRS, but I’ve read where people have done that. It’s way thinner than anything I would be willing to take to a match where you’re blasting 10-12 shots at time.

They’re usually pretty accurate even with the garbage stocks they come in from the factory. My dad has one in .223 and it shoots consistently under .5”

Have you shot it yet, to see what it’s capable of?

The barrel is pretty thin for PRS, but I’ve read where people have done that. It’s way thinner than anything I would be willing to take to a match where you’re blasting 10-12 shots at time.

They’re usually pretty accurate even with the garbage stocks they come in from the factory. My dad has one in .223 and it shoots consistently under .5”

Have you shot it yet, to see what it’s capable of?

no it’s box stock not even a scope on it. I was thinking well since I have it I would like to put a chassis on it and learn PRS then build a nice rifle after I figure out what I like and get better ect.

accuracy likely wont improve from the chassis alone

but...if you're more comfortable then yes it could be more 'accurate'

fuck putting 12-15 shots through that in 75-90 seconds though that barrel is gonna get fucked

Also talking about a lower end chassis like a Orxy or other budget MDT.

Reactions: b6graham
I've always wanted to see complete rifle in that stock linked below. It's a neat looking stock. It already comes with v-block so no bedding necessary.

Your other option is the Oryx. The Oryx should be a decent upgrade.

accuracy likely wont improve from the chassis alone

but...if you're more comfortable then yes it could be more 'accurate'

fuck putting 12-15 shots through that in 75-90 seconds though that barrel is gonna get fucked

I really don’t like the factory stock that also is motivation lol. As far as barrel life goes I guess once I burn that barrel out maybe get it rebarreled with something good. I do want to build a ground up custom rifle after I learn PRS.

i wouldnt sink money onto a RAP/hunting rifle for anything close to PRS competition

Since you're looking to upgrade the stock either way, I would go with a Howa barelled action with a heavy barrel, not a pencil thin barrel.

Good idea. Would you recommend a Howa over say a Tikka? I completely new to this that’s why I ask.

Also talking about a lower end chassis like a Orxy or other budget MDT.
Yes
893F939F-9F68-465D-8F07-EEE8F221C207.jpeg

Sorry for asking simple questions but why a 6mm over a 6.5 and 24 vs 26 inch barrel?

6mm is more popular for PRS type shooting, has less recoil, and that's what i found available. Why 6.5 over 6?

As far as barrel length, it doesn't matter. Both will work. You need to call and ask which one has the heavier contour, that's what I'd be asking instead.

Reactions: Steve_O
Howa 6.5 26" heavy barrel was discontinued last year, I got one of the last 26" semi heavy barreled actions Sept of last year. I don't know if they were discontinued too, I haven't seen anymore when I remember to look. I don't know about 6mm, have a look at Brownells and see. They are the distributor for Howa.

Yea if you want to start shooting matches on a budget, I would look at the Howa Bravo rifle, Howa Oryx Rifle, Bergara HMR or a Tikka CTR 24” barrel.

If you haven’t bought anything differently yet, I’d say it’s worth it. You could probably practice enough to burn out your factory barrel before jumping into an actual match

I personally like the Indian Creek Design MoFo chassis. You get more modularity for your money, the customer service is unbeatable, and it’s made by a small American business. It’s compatible with virtually any AR15 buttstock and hand grip, and there are currently 4 differ interchangeable fore ends offered, one of which is an adapter to utilize AR15 Handguards. Only ONE foreend comes with your purchase, you can purchase other Handguards separately if you like. I personally run the Johnny fore end on both of mine. Full length integrated ARCA rail on the bottom, and well as m-lok slots running the full length of the fore end on all sides

There are a few companies offering aftermarket barrels. After I burned out my factory barrel I put on a 26” Heavy Palma contour from Patriot Valley Arms and when I can do my part of the work it’s 1/4” at 100 yards, stressing when I do my part. A rifle system can only be as good as the nut pulling the trigger
0BC66D32-EDDB-4991-B4AA-9A9C2AE4A79C.jpeg
02FBD38C-9D30-4BE4-B003-AEF5E6F58293.jpeg

I've always wanted to see complete rifle in that stock linked below. It's a neat looking stock. It already comes with v-block so no bedding necessary.

Your other option is the Oryx. The Oryx should be a decent upgrade.

Not a Stockys but here’s my RAP I’m turning into a custom 22 Creedmoor for coyote hunting in the McMillan Game Warden stock, it comes with a SOL M5 DBM already installed.

Grayboe is also going to be doing inlets for the American including the Phoenix, Ridgeback, and Renegade. I believe they plan to release it with the DBM already installed as well
E09F4085-1447-4897-AD24-6BEB92C6EF51.jpeg