• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Ranch 556 - Chassis?

Peahi2

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
Hi folks,

Quick question: Is it a crazy idea to purchase a chassis for my Ruger American Ranch 556 (AR mag version) given how much the rifle is worth?

I purchased my rifle at the beginning of the covid "period" on a whim. I mostly shot pistols and AR at that time and wanted to dabble with a bolt gun.
Anyhows, the plastic stock fits me horribly in the length of pull department. It has a stated length of pull of 13.75 and its too long. I can get by, but with R shoulder bladed a bit and feeling stretched out....not a good shooting position. Funny, on my cz 457 pro varmint, with the same length of pull, that stock fits perfectly and I can be squared up on the bench. Two different stocks with same length of pull, but one (CZ - which I believe is a Boyd's stock) has good cheek rise and good overall fit.

My dilemma is that I think this would be a perfect situation to put the gun into a chassis, and I was looking closely at the MDT LSS-XL Gen 2. The problem is the cost of chassis will far exceed the cost of the original gun. The chassis, stock, and maybe folding stock adapter will take the chassis cost up to about $800.

To be honest, I'm only shooting 100 yards for the foreseeable future since there are no real longer ranges near me. I don't shoot competition. I like this gun, but am not wedded to it. Any other reasonable chassis options out there? I do like the MDT chassis though. Originally, I was wanting to try out an MDT chassis for my cz 457, but in this case, the need to get a better fit for the Ruger is a real need.

Get a magpul hunter for it

Get a magpul hunter for it
I looked into that..and I don't think it supports the 556/223 model. I would be cool with that stock if they do make one that fits though.

Reactions: CarbonMTN
My 300blk would not feed reliably from a mdt or accurate mag. I dont believe the 223 version will be much different with the issues I was having. I ended up putting the rifle back into the factory stock.

indian creek has a unique chassis that can take ar handguards

If it were me, (i have the same gun but it fits me fine), id consider altering the buttstock somehow to shorten the LOP. Maybe remove, replace, or shorten the recoil pad and dress it up somehow.

Reactions: Odindad
When i first got my ranch, a guy told me "you should sent that thing to a custom shop and have them fix it up...". I just shook my head, apparently he didnt understand the point of buying the thing in the first place. Im confident you could remedy your problem without changing the stock.

Have you looked at the Oryx chassis? Doesnt take AR mags but might solve issue on a cheaper side compared to the mdt. Its also made by mdt

You could always get a boyds stock for it, chassis will all push you to aics mags which sounds like a downgrade for you.

It also sounds like your main problem is that your scope needs to be moved forward. Either it needs more eye relief than the scope on your CZ or its mounted further back. You probably also need a cheek riser but if the LOP works on your CZ then start looking at adjusting your scope forward.

+1 on the Boyd’s. I have the Ruger in .300 BO and the Boyd’s stock for AR mags was a huge improvement over the OEM stock and not nearly as expensive as a chassis

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Because of the conflicting information and some of the older posts on the Magpul stock compatibility issues, I put in an email to Magpul to clarify if their stock with work with the American Ranch 556 AR mag.

I think the approach to get a Boyds stock built for the AR 15 PMAG version of the rifle is more sensible at this time, especially since I don't trust my handiwork doing a bubba gun mod on the stock.

I think I will eventually get a chassis for my cz 457 at some point since that is my favorite rifle and the Ruger is just a beater/fun gun.

Spending $900 or more on a chassis for a sub $500 gun wasn't making sense.

Boyd's stock - didn't see this until this am. I need to improve the google skills.

Maybe the pink and black stock might be suitable to be "non-binary" lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memberberries
I have a Predator with the 5 round Ruger mag. Added a cheek riser like this one, shortened the LOP a bit, drilled down through the length of the forearm and put two 1/4" steel rods to stiffen it, and then filled the stock with industrial grade epoxy a little at a time. The thing probably weighs at least 20 lbs, it's not a hunting rifle anymore LOL Instead of epoxy, some people use "rock hard water putty". I also put in a 3/4" tube half filled with lead shot...kick is about the same as a 22LR now. Only time I went for any distance it got to 500 yards easily...at 600 you couldn't see the hits on steel. Found 69gr GMM worked the best
1607535158366.png

The magpul chassis uses aics mags not the ar mags. Magpul has been advertising their version of the aics 223 mag but it’s only been talk so far.
Boyd’s seems like a good option. Also ruger made a compact version of the ranch that you might be able to call and order from them.

I just finished up my Ruger American Ranch 223/5.56 build last week. I am currently waiting on a magazine from Accurate-mag with the extended feed lips. I have done a lot of research before i decided to put the time and money into the build. Weather permitting and my work schedule, i am hoping to take it out to the range, and shoot it in this weekend.

Build List for the rifle:
~ MDT Oryx chassis
~ MDT Vertical Grip
~ Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42mm
~ Timney 1-3 lb. Trigger
~ Magpul Bipod
~ Ultradyne muzzle compensator
~ Anarchy Outdoors Threaded Bolt Handle
~ Anarchy Outdoors Dragon Scale Oversized Bolt Handle
~ 223 Accurate Mag (with extended feed lips)

Attachments

• C01541FD-5544-43E4-9B1F-0E624F12DAA5.jpeg
    C01541FD-5544-43E4-9B1F-0E624F12DAA5.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 3,213
Last edited:
I just finished up my Ruger American Ranch 223/5.56 build last week. I am currently waiting on a magazine from Accurate-mag with the extended feed lips. I have done a lot of research before i decided to put the time and money into the build. Weather permitting and my work schedule, i am hoping to take it out to the range, and shoot it in this weekend.

~ MDT Oryx chassis
~ MDT Vertical Grip
~ Timney 1-3 lb. Trigger
~ Magpul Bipod
~ Accurate Mag
How much easier is it to cycle the action with the Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle? I’ve been considering one.

Reactions: Carson83
How much easier is it to cycle the action with the Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle? I’ve been considering one.
It makes a world of difference, I also ordered the AD Arms Billet Ruger Precision/American Rifle Cocking Piece from Anarchy Outdoors. I am anxiously awaiting for that piece to arrive as well.

~ MDT Oryx chassis
~ MDT Vertical Grip
~ Timney 1-3 lb. Trigger
~ Magpul Bipod
Looks good! Looking forward to hearing about it after you shoot! Especially looking forward to hearing about the MDT grip and the Ultradyne!

If you have the ruger ranch that takes AR mags, I’m pretty sure MDT makes a chassis for that. But do not listen to these guys and drop it in a chassis that takes 223 aics mags, the bolt on the ruger AR is cut to accommodate an ar magazine. That’s why it won’t feed from aics.

Reactions: clcustom1911
If you have the ruger ranch that takes AR mags, I’m pretty sure MDT makes a chassis for that. But do not listen to these guys and drop it in a chassis that takes 223 aics mags, the bolt on the ruger AR is cut to accommodate an ar magazine. That’s why it won’t feed from aics.
Yes, yes they do make a chassis for the American Ranch AR mags version. In the first post, the question is are there any alternatives because the MDT set up, after all is said and done will be over $800...and putting that on a $500 rifle. I like the rifle and I like the MDT setup...if money were no object, I would it in a heartbeat. The cost is what makes me pause and ask for advice. I already have an MDT chassis on another rifle and its a sweet setup.

~ MDT Oryx chassis
~ MDT Vertical Grip
~ Timney 1-3 lb. Trigger
~ Magpul Bipod
I am interested to hear how it works out. I was one of the guys that bought the older American 223 and a Magpul stock before reading about how 3 lug 223's can be problematic. Magpul sent me a generic response that it would work but it wasn't worded so that I'm even sure they understood my question but it's a moot point because the mags don't exist. Should have just bought something else.

I am interested to hear how it works out. I was one of the guys that bought the older American 223 and a Magpul stock before reading about how 3 lug 223's can be problematic. Magpul sent me a generic response that it would work but it wasn't worded so that I'm even sure they understood my question but it's a moot point because the mags don't exist. Should have just bought something else.
Well i was able to get to the range this morning. I am throughly impressed with this setup including the magazine with extended feed lips from accurate mag. I had no issue with feeding from the magazine. I shot about 50 rounds with the rifle. I am so glad i dumped the factory stock and went with the oryx chassis now. Thank you to everyone on the forum regarding the magazine issue with the RAR, and solutions to look into when searching for a magazine for it!!!!!

Attachments

• 2CABD36D-0163-46A3-8ECB-CEE0866D2832.jpeg
    2CABD36D-0163-46A3-8ECB-CEE0866D2832.jpeg
    487.7 KB · Views: 632
  • F59F5299-973F-4981-B769-549CC00EAB0B.jpeg
    F59F5299-973F-4981-B769-549CC00EAB0B.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 437
Reactions: spife7980
So do you have the part numbers on the mags? I would like to ask accurate if they think it would work with my setup.
I spoke with Mark at Accurate Mag, and I explained the issue with the RAR magazine issue. He was aware of the issue, and said that i would need the “lengthy 223 magazine.” There was no part number listed on the invoice that I received from them other than “lengthy 223 magazine.” He said he would personally pull the magazine, and ship it. The quality of the magazine was exceptional.