• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Ranch trigger upgrade?

919th

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2017
North Dakota
So I just got a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56mm as my new coyote gun. I want to upgrade the trigger and my choices were going with a Timney trigger or an Mcarbo spring kit. The Timney is in the ballpark of $150ish and the Mcarbo spring was like $20 shipped. Being a budget gun, I went with the budget option (I already ordered a Magpul stock to replace the flimsy factory stock and a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X44 Tactical scope) but now I wonder if I’m missing out not going with the Timney trigger or is the Mcarbo option “good enough” to get a better trigger. What’s your opinion?

Reactions: TC.TURTLECREEK
I have the same rifle. Had big plans to upgrade the stock and trigger. After testing it for accuracy quite a few times I decided it didn't need any upgrades other than a front rail to mount a bipod.
IMG_8448.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg

Reactions: tucaz
I put the Timney on my 300BO RAR and didn't really consider the spring change. It is much better than the factory trigger and that's what I expected. Considering what else I've done to the RAR without any huge improvements, the $150ish was well worth it.

It is a good little rifle and a lot of fun with subs and accurate with supers.

So I just got a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56mm as my new coyote gun. I want to upgrade the trigger and my choices were going with a Timney trigger or an Mcarbo spring kit. The Timney is in the ballpark of $150ish and the Mcarbo spring was like $20 shipped. Being a budget gun, I went with the budget option (I already ordered a Magpul stock to replace the flimsy factory stock and a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X44 Tactical scope) but now I wonder if I’m missing out not going with the Timney trigger or is the Mcarbo option “good enough” to get a better trigger. What’s your opinion?
Do the Timney and don’t look back. Got buddies who did the springs, I did the full drop-in. There is no comparison. Anyone who says the springs are “just as good” is only lying to themselves. My Timney is about 1.25-1.5 lbs. and breaks like glass. Zero creep, zero sponginess…Just breaks consistent every time. Best $150 I spent on that gun.

I stuck an M-Carbo spring in a RAR .22 LR. It helped the factory trigger a lot. That said; I’ve not shot the Timney but wouldn’t doubt the Timney would be better.