• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Ranch - Which Caliber?

Which Ruger American Ranch Caliber?

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • 7.62x39

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 300 Blackout

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

USAF Ret

Saved by Grace
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2023
North Carolina
They have the rebate going now for $100. Been looking at ranch rifles for a while. Don't really need one, but with the price. Just don't know which caliber. I reload for all listed except the 7.62x39.

Truck gun for deer, 4 legged predators and 2 legged predators.

What caliber and why?

I got one in 300 blackout, that way I could run supers or subs. Throw on a can and use subs for critters.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
I got one in 300 blackout, that way I could run supers or subs. Throw on a can and use subs for critters.
Running 110 and 120’s with ours its a good short range deer killer. Plenty accurate for the task. A very handy little rifle. Having shot 300 Whisper’s a long time before its twin, the 300 Blackout even existed, much less was cool, I can attest, it hits far above its weight class with the 110’s designed for it.

Reactions: USAF Ret
I have the 300 BO and the 7.62 x 39 , both kill deer just fine . I load for both , the 300 BO gives you many more options when it comes to bullet selection . I have killed plenty of deer with .223 , I prefer a .30 caliber at twice the bullet weight .

I have both a 223 and a 6.5 Grendel. But having to choose only one, it’s the Grendel. It packs more punch for what I would want in a truck gun. They are both ridiculously accurate. I have the Grendel shooting in the 2’s and 3’s with a 120smk and 105 Blitzking. The 223 shoots about the same with 77tmk’s. Both were removed from the original stock. The 223 sits in a Magpul Hunter and the Grendel in a Trybe defense chassis. But, both shot 1/2” groups in the original stock. Plenty good enough for what you are wanting I assume.

• Love
I have the 556. Uses AR mags. Awesome gun and surprisingly accurate. If you were just looking for a coyote or Varmint type gun I’d say get it. May be on the small side for the bigger critters you mention.

These little rifles are a hidden gem. I vote for 223 with a good general purpose load such as federal fusion or similar class load. My second choice would be 300BO.

James Reeves on TFB TV on YouTube has a good video on the 300BO model.

Last edited:
.223 guys , do you hunt deer with them ? If so, what is your bullet/load of choice ?

.223 guys , do you hunt deer with them ? If so, what is your bullet/load of choice ?
I haven't in the past but am considering it this year with fusion 62 grain MSR. 65 Sierra game king would be another choice if you can find them. Deer in these parts are small, and it doesn't take a 30-06 to harvest them.

There's multiple threads on it, and yes.
75gr Hornady HPBT, 77 Sierra TMK, the 60-70gr hunting bullets, have all performed very well on deer.

I would not be hesitant to take deer with it, provided you practice and can hit your mark.

I was just curious , I have used the Barnes 62 grain and the 77 TMKs on deer . The swamp bucks I get are often over 200 pounds and shots can be 300 yards , just trying to convince myself I won't be handicapped with the .223 at that distance .

I was just curious , I have used the Barnes 62 grain and the 77 TMKs on deer . The swamp bucks I get are often over 200 pounds and shots can be 300 yards , just trying to convince myself I won't be handicapped with the .223 at that distance .
You just need to run the numbers.

This is a 69 TMK I loaded. I think 300 yards is pushing it on energy. I would keep it at 200 yards.

69 TMK.jpg

Reactions: Haney
Go with the grendel

Keep in mind that rebate is actually their online store credit and they dont have all that much on there.

I’d choose the Grendel, or the 300 BO. Honestly I go back and forth. I think the Grendel would fit better into MY use. But, the giggle factor of subsonic 300 BO from a bolt gun can’t be ignored…

But, the Ruger promotion isn’t a “rebate.” It is $100 in Ruger rewards that can be used at shop Ruger dot com. If that’s cool, March on, but I don’t think you are going to get a check for $100 from them…

I’d choose the Grendel, or the 300 BO. Honestly I go back and forth. I think the Grendel would fit better into MY use. But, the giggle factor of subsonic 300 BO from a bolt gun can’t be ignored…

But, the Ruger promotion isn’t a “rebate.” It is $100 in Ruger rewards that can be used at shop Ruger dot com. If that’s cool, March on, but I don’t think you are going to get a check for $100 from them…
Ah, stupid me. I got info second hand. Just looked at the site and didn't read the fine print. Thanks.

Still planning on getting a ranch rifle, anyway.

6.5 Grendel hands-down... But if they ever make one in 6mm ARC, then that would be my recommendation, since they now make 115gr bullets for 6mm's with better BC than the 123gr 6.5mm bullets for the Grendel.

Reactions: Modoc and USAF Ret
Arc would be tits in that rifle.

Soooo tempted to go Arc in a mini, and a Ranch would not suck.

Friend has had two .223’s (Ranch) and both were shooters.

I think the grendel and blackout are pretty interchangeable. The 6.5mm Barnes 115gr TAC TX at 2500 and the .30 cal Barnes 110 TAC TX at 2450 are very similar. At least with BO you get subsonic capability for shits and giggles.

Had a x39 for a while and just got the Grendel. The rewards are great, just got the extra mags delivered yesterday. Can’t go wrong with any of them honestly. Awesome for the money.

So how well does the Grendel feed in this platform? Seems like I saw a video where the guy was fighting the hell out of it to get a 6.5 round into the chamber.

So how well does the Grendel feed in this platform? Seems like I saw a video where the guy was fighting the hell out of it to get a 6.5 round into the chamber.
Before I put my Grendel into a chassis, it fed fine from AR mags. realizing it’s only a sample size of one.

OP, you buy the Grendel yet? You know you want to……

cktvau.jpg

9oje4y.jpg

gl1z5u.jpg

qgeh0i.jpg

Reactions: Eo12
If you buy some nice Stainless AR15 DuraMags (formerly C-Products Defense) it will feed fine. Those are what I run for my 6.5G DMR, and never had an issue.

Arc would be tits in that rifle.

Soooo tempted to go Arc in a mini, and a Ranch would not suck.

Friend has had two .223’s (Ranch) and both were shooters.
If you buy the 6.5G, a simple prefit barrel swap would get you a RAR in 6 ARC, since they’re both based off the same parent case… Just saying. 😈

Years ago, when my wife was still deer hunting I bought her a American Ranch in 300BLK. It was the older model with the rotary magazine - it's a lot nicer for carrying. She loved the gun compared to the 9lb model 70 she borrowed from her dad.

I loaded up some 125gr SST's and she was shooting cloverleafs with them offhand at 50 yards.

My vote would be 300BLK or 6.5 Grendel.
Good Luck,
R

If you buy the 6.5G, a simple prefit barrel swap would get you a RAR in 6 ARC, since they’re both based off the same parent case… Just saying. 😈
Yep as soon as I find another Grendel cheap, I’m going to buy it to simply make it a six arc

Before I put my Grendel into a chassis, it fed fine from AR mags. realizing it’s only a sample size of one.

OP, you buy the Grendel yet? You know you want to……

cktvau.jpg

9oje4y.jpg

gl1z5u.jpg

qgeh0i.jpg
Outstanding groups!

Have not. Just sropped money on a Vortex scope on sale from Midway and got more reloading components and a case of 9mm. LGS says people are panic buying again. 5.56 went from $400 a case to $700 a case over the weekend.

Outstanding groups!

Have not. Just sropped money on a Vortex scope on sale from Midway and got more reloading components and a case of 9mm. LGS says people are panic buying again. 5.56 went from $400 a case to $700 a case over the weekend.
I’m sure they’ll be some deals come Black Friday this year.

It’s the cheap Trybe defense from optics planet. The pricing fluctuates on these and I paid $239 for mine. Just gotta catch it on sale.

1. 77SMK 5.56 NATO due to availability of ammo, mags, and 77SMK does best with mag restrictions.
2. G.5 Grendel due to a little more ass on target and neat bullets. Magazine aspect a more challenging.

I don’t have a Ruger Ranch, but have two identical rifles in 22/5.56 and 6.5 G. They are both very accurate, but I have a tendency to grab the Grendel more often just for the bigger bullet.

None of those calibers ...I'd choose the 450 Bushmaster and hand loads...502 gr cast subs and 185 to 500 gr supers...resize .458 bullets for heavier bullet needs or light bullet subs...cheap bulk pistol bullets...almost too much fun.

Put this poll out on several forums. They all puked out, but this one has some good participation. This is what I have so far with all results combined. I am pretty well hung up on .223 and 6.5 Grendel. Grendel has more horsepower, but the .223 is so cheap with reloading. Shoot it all day long.

7.62x39223 Remington300 BO6.5 Grendel
1​
25​
13​
18​

Put this poll out on several forums. They all puked out, but this one has some good participation. This is what I have so far with all results combined. I am pretty well hung up on .223 and 6.5 Grendel. Grendel has more horsepower, but the .223 is so cheap with reloading. Shoot it all day long.

7.62x39223 Remington300 BO6.5 Grendel
1​
25​
13​
18​
You did worry me with the .223 chamber thing. Looked on website and it’s 5.56 NATO thank god. If it were .223 chamber you couldn’t shoot the hotter NATO rounds.

You did worry me with the .223 chamber thing. Looked on website and it’s 5.56 NATO thank god. If it were .223 chamber you couldn’t shoot the hotter NATO rounds.
In a solid steel bolt-action I don't think he'd have to worry about that problem... Just the pot-cast aluminum AR15's...

None of those calibers ...I'd choose the 450 Bushmaster and hand loads...502 gr cast subs and 185 to 500 gr supers...resize .458 bullets for heavier bullet needs or light bullet subs...cheap bulk pistol bullets...almost too much fun.
450 bushmaster is the answer yes… because it THUMPS op

In a solid steel bolt-action I don't think he'd have to worry about that problem... Just the pot-cast aluminum AR15's...
Case rupture, fire & forget brass because the primer pockets are gone? Still not a good idea to shoot 5.56 Nato in .223 Rem chamber.

I think the grendel and blackout are pretty interchangeable. The 6.5mm Barnes 115gr TAC TX at 2500 and the .30 cal Barnes 110 TAC TX at 2450 are very similar. At least with BO you get subsonic capability for shits and giggles.
^^^This. HeySuess has spoken