• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Rifle .308

Pyzik

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
SE Michigan
I'm new here so I hope I am in the apropriate area and am not beating a dead horse...
I've done a search and am not finding ANY info on this rifle.

I have been looking for getting my first modern bolt action rifle (I have an old stock Carcano given to me) and looking at the .308 round. I like Ruger and the new American Rifle looks good to me, especially for the price. It’s supposed to have a bedded stock out of the box.

ruger_american_inset.jpg

What’s the thought on this rifle?

EDIT: I wanted to add that this will be for plinking first and foremost. I would be shooting at 100 yards starting out. The closest range further than that is quite a drive.

Re: Ruger American Rifle .308

What do you want to do with said rifle?

That's more important than whether or not a rifle is good.

Is a Jackson sledge hammer good? Not if you intend to roof a house with it.

I see you edited.

For "plinking" a .308 is overkill. Its also overkill at 100 yards. Just buy a .22lr. If you're not hunting, there's no reason to buy a lightweight sporter. The barrel gets hot, the recoil is worse, and the aftermarket support isn't there for the Ruger. I'd look more at the Tikka, Remington 700 SPS-V/Tactical, Savage 10, etc.

Thank you so much for your input.
I do have a scoped 10/22 that I've been learning on. I want to get a nicer scope for it.

I know it's overkill but I want one to round out my collection. It's one thing I don't have.

These days, a rifle in the hand is worth a dozen on backorder.

I recently held one of these in hand at the gun store, and it was solid, well balanced, and everything seems to have operated smoothly. I would consider it's handling to be among the leading half of the less expensive rifles on the market today. I usually recommended the Savage Axis to folks looking for a lesser than long range precision utility rifle, but this Ruger catches my attention equally well, maybe better.

Here is the Guns & Ammo Magazine Review. It says all the good things about the Ruger American that I would usually be saying about the Savage Axis.

It's a bunch better than the Carcano, packs a decent wallop that no 22 ever will, and I wouldn't mind having one myself (but my next rifle will be a shotgun, the Savage 220 slug gun). It should be able to hit anything you can sight in on with a conventional 3-9X hunting scope.

Greg

If you simply want opinions, I'll provide mine.

Before I purchased a Ruger rifle, I'd look at Savage, Remington, CZ.

I do like their 10/22, 77/22, red/black hawk, MK2,3 22lr's but their centerfire rifles I've never been impressed with...especially with accuracy. Ok for hunting but if you like to paper punch there are better more accurate guns available for not much more money.

If price is what's driving this...look in the used market for maybe a savage 10, 110, 700 varmint. You'd be surprised what you can get here, gunbroker etc.

Don't sweat the 308 as a "plinker"...it's a fun caliber to shoot. Expensive for a plinker but still fun.

if you really can't go to a further range...maybe consider 223.

Thanks Greg and Sean.

I do have a .223, no scope on it thought. Just irons.

I only chose the .308 because of price, popularity, load options and availability. I wouldn't be opposed to looking at a 30-06, 7mm or another .30 cal.

As far as price of the rifle itself, it's somewhat of a determining factor. But the Remington isn't out of the ballpark.

I do plan purchasing reloading equipment toward the end of the year (too many other plans going on right now).

My guess is that the American will perform relatively well with most factory ammo offerings.

The .308 with a 22" Length and 1:10" Rifling Twist is about as generic a rifle barrel as you can find, and it is probably pretty what the great bulk of the factory hunting loads are optimized to shoot out of. Believe me, a 2MOA rifle is what you'll likely have, and as much accuracy as you'll need for all but competitive shooting.

For plinking, a lighter load will probably be better. I often recommend the Remington Managed Recoil 125gr .308 (and .30-'06 too) load for kids, smaller adults, and folks who don't need hammering terminal performance.

This load will be highly adequate for most deer out to about 150yd; and seriously, unless you are out for Elk, a monster buck, or a distance out beyond 250-300yd, the 150gr softpoint hunting loads will anchor just about anything you need to anchor.

You just gotta hit 'em reasonably right.

Greg

If you want a hunting rifle, it would be fine, though I am no fan of Ruger rifles.

If I was going to be "plinking" at the range, I would consider the Howa heavy barrel in the laminated stock LONG before I would consider the Ruger.
They are reintroducing the laminated 24" barrel versions after a hiatus of about two years. They were selling mostly hogue stocked short barrel rifles for that time.

VERY attractive package, good action, good barrel, excellent trigger and a nice, one piece bolt.
Not available now, but to give you an idea:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...8+Win.+Bolt+Action+VarmintBlue+Heavy+BarrelNu

Sorry to revive an old post like that...
Here's my input... I use to shoot a mossberg 4x4 in 270... was interesting at first but accuracy kept getting worst over time... Bad barrel???
I sold it and bought the American Rifle from Ruger last week..
I can only say wow, for the price! Impressive!
Read the review online and in the magazine, they are right on! The only downpoint for me is the lack of ridgity of the forend of the stock.. make contact with the barrel if you are not carefull where you rest the gun on...
Nothing a bit of lapping cannnot fix though...
Also, so far, no aftermarket support...
Awesome trigger compare to my mossberg..

heres the first target I've shot after zeroting.. 3 shot group at 100 yds.. 5th, 6th and 7th round to go down the tube... cleaned between each shot.. so no barrel heat...
Target is graduated in inches and quarter inches...
I'm seriously impress by this short, light hunter's rifle!

906210_10152699870265527_529932298_o.jpg - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Ammo used was some basic CoreLokt Ultra bound

Hope this intesrest some of you!
Cheers!

Last edited:
I recently had an opportunity to handle and inspect one of these rifles. The action seems like a quality product and feature-rich for a possible build platform, except for the total lack of aftermarket parts. It's a solid top action with 3-lug fat bolt with bolt release. It might fit a Savage inlet stock & bottom metal (with modification). Too many projects at the moment, but something to think about.

Ruger American Rifles | Guns Magazine I know the gun they shoot in this article is a .30-06 but for what the gun cost, and you can buy them a lot cheaper in my part of the country than he quotes in the article, I think it is pretty impressive. Besides Ruger firearms have always kinda been the rodney dangerfield of the firearms industry.

A recent gun magazine reviewed several "entry level" bolt action rifles. The Thompson Center Venture was judged best overall with the Weatherby Vanguard second and the cheap Remington "Whatever" as last. Unfortunately the Ruger American was not in the group reviewed but it has been shown to be very accurate so it would get my vote as third, partly due to its great bedding V block system and also for its 3 lug bolt, which (IMHO) beats a 2 lug bolt for speed of operation.

I've handled both the Ruger American and the TC Venture. The TC Venture has a much more solid feel but... it is about $100. more. To me it is worth, at the least, that extra $100.

I bought one last year in 308 as a back up hunting rifle. Its a good, well built gun. It gets 1 moa with three shot groups and 1.5 moa with 5 shot groups, with my 150 handloads. My dad just moved out west from a shotgun only state and was impressed with mine and bought himself one in 30-06, his shoots 1.25 moa with 3 shot groups with 180 corlokts, didn't do 5 shot groups with his.

I have one in 30-06 and I also have a savage 111 in 30-06 with the accu-trigger. I'd say the savage is more accurate but i've only put 15rds down the Ruger. I like the action on the Ruger better as well as the handling. I will also say I was absolutely shocked when I looked down the barrel of the Ruger and couldn't find a single machine mark anywhere! It's literally glass smooth where as my Savage is rough as hell ( but shoots 3 shot clover leafs all day). In time I'm sure there will be an aftermarket for the Ruger since It uses the same barrel nut system as the Savage. I think once I develop a load for the Ruger it'll shoot damn close to the Savage. Just my $.02.