• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Rimfire Target

manki77

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Looking at getting this model due the following:

Cost is relatively low ( $350)

Has appealing features: bull barrel, threaded ( suppressor use), relatively cheap magazines

Compared to other 22LR bolt actions how does this model compare?

Also are there any aftermarket stock options besides boyd's and MDT?

will be running a steiner 3-15x50 with vortex precision matched rings (1"), harris bipod, rugged oculus 22

But why, when CZ--generally believed to butt up to Anschutz in holes-in-targets ability--is right there for the taking?

Heavy receivers, better triggers, aftermarket barrels already available..

...proven.

The Ruger may be fine, but a CZ will do those groups at twice the range. Don't get the idea that they are a $400 Annie because they ain't...but they do just flat outpace the Marlins Savages Rugers I've seen with thin receivers and feature-packed barrels.

Last edited:
just as good of a trigger....and much better magazine feeding system....and made in America...by Americans....

just as good of a trigger....and much better magazine feeding system....and made in America...by Americans....

Here's the thing. I own, or have owned, and put fair numbers of rounds through rimfire rifles from Mossberg, Remington, Kimber, Anschutz, Keystone Accuracy, Savage, Ruger, and CZ. I will freely admit not owning a Ruger American, though I've handled them.

In general, my observation is that the thin-walled rimfire bolt actions do not perform at the level of rifles with heavier receivers, regardless of manufacturer. Whether that is correlation AND causation, I can't say, but it's been Truth.

If this were INGO or some other general firearms forum, maybe I wouldn't be so pointed, but being as this is a "Sniper" forum, I do operate under the assumption that indeed:

Nothing matters but accuracy.

Trust me, I DEARLY loved the Savage Mark II BV/Leupold Ultralight that I ran for about 15,000 rounds. Great little rifle, good hits on small targets as far as 186 yards.

But I wouldn't spend 'new barrel money' on it either. The same cannot be said for receivers like the Anschutz 54, CZ 452/5, Remington 40X, Winchester 75/52, and Kimber 82.

You may notice that CZ is the cheapest on that list, but I want to make sure it is pointed out. At this time, unless you get lucky with an old rifle and know what you're doing, CZ is the most affordable "big rifle" out there.

Last edited: