• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Gunsite Scout Upgrades

shovelstrokeed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2013
I'm contemplating rework of my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.

New 24" bbl in 6.5 CM.
Maybe a new stock or Chassis.

I would probably need the receiver drilled and tapped for a rail.

Anybody doing any work on these guns?

I think that rifle is best left as is and resold if you're trying to make something better out of it.
If you swap stocks you're looking at a custom inlet for the DBM.
A lot of smiths don't like to bed Rugers.
Lord knows whose chassis you'd use.

I'd sell it and use the classifieds here to work up the build you want.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I'm contemplating rework of my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.

New 24" bbl in 6.5 CM.
Maybe a new stock or Chassis.

I would probably need the receiver drilled and tapped for a rail.

Anybody doing any work on these guns?

Agree with the prior post. The Ruger Scout is a purpose built gun. What you propose is similar to converting a lawn mower into a roto-tiller.

Yes, it could be done, but at three times the cost with a poor quality result.

Keep the scout.

Build a Creedmore.

BMT

I will say that a 6.5CM chambered scout would not be a bad thing at all.

I already have a Pierce action, Rock bbl, AIAX chassis 6.5 CM rifle.
I like the caliber.
I also have the scout, wouldn't mind a Snout at all.
My days of hauling a gun around and murdering hoofed creatures are pretty much over at 71.
308 is a PITA in that gun, too short for any longer range, too loud, and not all that accurate.
Maybe I'll just sell it after all. From the sound of it, I'll just be polishing a turd.

• Haha
Reactions: TheChief
Hmmm . . . . .

Additional facts . . . .

Since you have the 6.5 CM. A simple re-barrel to a 20" 6.5 CM is not a bad idea. It should function fine and have less recoil and blast.

A simple 2.5-8 or 2.5-10 optic would make it a nice shooter.

BMT

Last edited:
I already have a Pierce action, Rock bbl, AIAX chassis 6.5 CM rifle.
I like the caliber.
I also have the scout, wouldn't mind a Snout at all.
My days of hauling a gun around and murdering hoofed creatures are pretty much over at 71.
308 is a PITA in that gun, too short for any longer range, too loud, and not all that accurate.
Maybe I'll just sell it after all. From the sound of it, I'll just be polishing a turd.

As there is plenty of very accurate .308 chambered rifles around. Dare I say that maybe, just maybe it is the Ruger that is not all that accurate?
With that said im sure that the Ruger GSS is plenty accurate for the intended purpose of the rifle?

Nothing wrong with the accuracy of the thing, with FGMM 168g it is sub MOA at 100 yds all day long, even with the stock trigger.
I bought the gun as a hunting/plinking rifle and it works in that role, just hunting isn't really my thing anymore and once in my possession, I hate to do nothing with it or give it up.

I had rws rebuild mine with 16" in brux, true action, pillar and glass bed and work trigger. Leupold make a decent set of 30mm rings.
Rifle shoot just over .5 moa with a 5x scope. Robert did a awsome job.
1695A0B4-678D-4B91-95E6-88AE6796916B-3736-00000B0D1A1085A9_zps62ecc00a.jpg

Reactions: TheChief
Man, I love my GSR. It's sub moa accurate with factory ammo, and pretty dang impressive with my 155TMK handloads. I ordered an Accurate Mag chassis for it today, and Im pretty dang excited to set that up. I have an XS rail on mine and a Trijicon Credo HX 1-8 scope on it. It's fast and accurate. Recol is pretty much non existent with that 155 load as well, and it stays supersonic past a grand. Those are my two favorite rifles to shoot and carry. They're two that I'll damn sure never get rid of.
Short Rifles.JPG