• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ruger jam

wmr264

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
eastern. OR
I have had a few 10/22's and love them.I bought the target model and have been having trouble with the spent round not clearing before the action closes.I have changed ammo,cleaned,oiled,what do I need to do never had a problem with the carbine

Re: ruger jam

IMHO a 10/22 stovepipes when the ammo is especially peppy, Guessing this is HV stuff. One good solution is to install a buffer pad, or try Standard Velocity ammo.

Extractor tuning works every time and is easy to do.

Instead of looking like this:
58844012.jpg

Just put the extractor in a vise length wise and compress it until the fit is right.
58844071.jpg

Then it will look like this:
58844121.jpg

The reason this works, is by fitting the extractor so that is securely holds the case to the bolt, the ejector will make positive contact with it every time.
Since the extractor is holding one side of the brass, the impact of the ejector on the opposite side results in it being flung at a 45 degree angle out of the ejection port.
When stove piping occurs in a 10/22, the brass travels to the rear with the bolt, but instead of being flung out the ejection port, the ejector just knocks the brass forward because the extractor is not in the properly engaged with the brass.

FWIW,
Since the 10/22 is a blow back action, the extractors only job is to remove un fired cartridges and to perform the function outlined above.
(It extracts nothing during the firing sequence since the brass is what is actuating the bolt.)

*(Images taken from Rimfire Central.)

I did a little mod like that. It was easy to do, didn't take long, and I have had no problems with mine. Also, you may want to check your barrel alignment. If the barrel is canted, it can cause problems.