• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger LCR vs Smith and Wesson 642

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I need a lightweight double action only revolver. I like both of these but I can't decide which way to go. Which is the best choice? Which has the best trigger?

Lcr trigger is a lot lighter. S&w are pretty tried and true but those damn 5 shot hammerless 38s seem to be set at 12lbs or more. Both are good for what they are. It is easier however to short stroke the Lcr and skip a chamber if you don't let the trigger out all of the way after firing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I went Smith in the 340 model. I think they need a little trigger work to get them more in line with reality. more like 6-8 lbs is safe enough for me.

A friend of mine has the LCR. I liked it a lot but the short stroking was a problem for me. I think I could get over it if I had some extended practice with the pistol though. I like that the LCR has front sight options.

I carry the LCR / .357 in the summer when its hot and its really the perfect pocket pistol.
The .38 & .357 are the same size but the .357 is about 4 ounces heavier with a stainless steel frame.
VERY smooth trigger.

I have the S&W Bodyguard, great pistol. Trigger is fine and I like the factory lazer sight. Priced right at 416.00 bucks. I shoot 125g +p hp with no problems. I took a hard look at the Ruger as well. Good luck with your choice.

I have a S&W and LCR, I choose the LCR on a daily basis. I just shoot it better, It has the front fiber optic on it which helps a lot. THe smith has had some trigger work, just still liking the ruger more

Thanks for the replies. I am probably going to get the LCR. But I will handle both if my shop has them before I make a decision.

If you like the 642 better, for whatever reason, you can make the trigger better with an Apex kit. 25 bucks and a short installation video about 30 minute job.

LCR will have a better trigger and the ability to put a better front sight on without gunsmithing. Get that one.

That being said I live my M&P 340

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went yesterday and looked at both. After trying the trigger on both I bought the S&W 642. I like it a lot. I have dry fired so much today that my finger turned purple but the trigger has smoothed out nicely now at about 12 pounds. I might try that apex kit though.

Smart move taking a look at them side by side and getting what you like the best.
Not a bad pick between the two.

I went yesterday and looked at both. After trying the trigger on both I bought the S&W 642. I like it a lot. I have dry fired so much today that my finger turned purple but the trigger has smoothed out nicely now at about 12 pounds. I might try that apex kit though.

It is well worth the money.

Had them both sold the ruger cant beat the 642. Installed an apex kit a while well worth the money