• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger long range target rifle

Bluegrassvw

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2017
Chesapeake Bay area
Thoughts on the Ruger as a trainer? Haven't seen one in person. Comes in at 8lbs.

ruger-long-range-rimfire-american-rifle.jpg

I haven't shot one, but I thought it was a pretty good rifle to practice a lot of PRS-like fundamentals. Has a full m-lok bottom to allow you to run an arca rail, has some weight/length like a PRS rifle. Good price.

Downsides I heard is you can't change the barrel on Ruger Americans, so what you get is what you get in terms of accuracy.

rubber made .. mmm plastic . don't leave it in the sun it will melt other than that it could be a gun or a colored chocolate bar shaped like a gun are they out seasonal around Easter ? all joking aside I have little fact based opinion on the they could be real nice I just don't know I am not really a big fan of composites

What are your accuracy expectations for 100?
Maybe someone here knows some moa value where most of the rugers land within.

What are your accuracy expectations for 100?
Maybe someone here knows some moa value where most of the rugers land within.

Ruger non match barrels land in the 1.1" - 1.5" at 100 yards. I've never seen a sub moa 6x5 @ 100 yards with their factory standard barrels.

I had the Ruger 10/22 competition model which had a match barrel on it, and that shot me in the .7-.8's @ 100, but I don't believe this one uses one of those match barrels.

The stock is laminate iirc and the barrel has pins like a Anschutz , suhl , walther , some people have rebarreled the American rimfire same trifle / principle

Buy a cz 457, any of them and you will have a better gun. I would lean towards the provarmint

Reactions: Bluegrassvw
Buy a cz 457, any of them and you will have a better gun. I would lean towards the provarmint

Why? I have a Ruger 10/22 race rifle and it shoots 1/2” groups at 50 yards with CCI mini mags when I do my part. Pretty reliable for a 22 as well. I am looking at getting a bolt 22 just to have some more practice. I really want a Vudoo but may have to settle for a sub 1k gun due to this virus.

"...10/22 race rifle..." I also have a 10/22. After a new barrel, trigger and stock, it is a pretty darn good rifle. Before, not so much. I almost bought a RPR but after researching what others had to go through, I bought a 457 MTR. Yes, I know it costs more. But after adding up what I spent on the 10/22, I decided that it is worth it. The 10/22 is a fine rifle but a tack driver it isn't. YMMV

Reactions: nakoa01
Why? I have a Ruger 10/22 race rifle and it shoots 1/2” groups at 50 yards with CCI mini mags when I do my part. Pretty reliable for a 22 as well. I am looking at getting a bolt 22 just to have some more practice. I really want a Vudoo but may have to settle for a sub 1k gun due to this virus.
Interesting?
Do you have any 6x5 submits with that race rifle?

Personally I have given up on any Ruger rifle, RF or CF, as the quality is sub par. Buy a CZ or a Tikka and you will be much better served.

Reactions: 260284