• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical Rifle

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I tried the "Search" function and could not find anything on this rifle. Is listed on the Ruger website; however, I've not seen one at my local dealer. Has anyone seen this rifle or has any thoughts about it?

I've like some of Ruger's other weapons and wondered if they have a winner with the tactical rifle?

Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical Rifle

Maybe a photo will help solicit some comments.

RugerTactical.jpg

Getting a ruger that will shot is a crap shoot at best.
They make a very handsome rifle, but if you can't hit your target, they are not much use.

<span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE</span>

I've had Ruger hunting rifles in the past and they proved to be accurate shooters with proper load development. I had hoped that their "tactical" rifle would be an upgrade with improved accuracy "out of the box". Since Ruger's website is lacking in information, I've spent the past two days trying to find the answers to some basic questions. Frustratingly, I can't get anyone at Ruger headquarters to tell me if the barrel on this rifle is "free floated" or not. Their technical staff can't tell me how the action is "bedded" in the composite stock. They did tell me that the trigger is adjustible (by the factory). When I asked if I could have the trigger adjusted when ordering a rifle, the technician calmly told me I would have to take delivery of the rifle and then ship it back to the factory for adjustment - are you kidding me?

While I can't say whether or not Ruger's tactical rifle an improvement on thier regular offerings, I can say Ruger will not get me as a customer. It makes me wonder if Ruger simply assumes that folks will buy thier rifles on reputation or loyalty alone?

Very dissapointing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE</span>

I've had Ruger hunting rifles in the past and they proved to be accurate shooters with proper load development. I had hoped that their "tactical" rifle would be an upgrade with improved accuracy "out of the box". Since Ruger's website is lacking in information, I've spent the past two days trying to find the answers to some basic questions. Frustratingly, I can't get anyone at Ruger headquarters to tell me if the barrel on this rifle is "free floated" or not. Their technical staff can't tell me how the action is "bedded" in the composite stock. They did tell me that the trigger is adjustible (by the factory). When I asked if I could have the trigger adjusted when ordering a rifle, the technician calmly told me I would have to take delivery of the rifle and then ship it back to the factory for adjustment - are you kidding me?

While I can't say whether or not Ruger's tactical rifle an improvement on thier regular offerings, I can say Ruger will not get me as a customer. It makes me wonder if Ruger simply assumes that folks will buy thier rifles on reputation or loyalty alone?

Very dissapointing.</div></div>

I was under the the impression that the Hogue stocks are pillar bedded and have an option of a aluminum bedding block?

I am also going to say that it is not free floated because it is not advertised on there website. The only reason why I say that is because they say everything BUT that.

Don't take my word for it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the the impression that the Hogue stocks are pillar bedded and have an option of a aluminum bedding block?

I am also going to say that it is not free floated because it is not advertised on there website. The only reason why I say that is because they say everything BUT that.

Don't take my word for it though.</div></div>

GunGuru:

You are correct about the Hogue stocks, they are typically pillar bedded with the aluminum block option. That being said, I also know that when a company like Hogue does a proprietary stock for a major gun manufacturer like Ruger; changes to the SOP could occur - that is why I wanted to confirm with Ruger. Silly me, I thought that the manufacturer would know how they build their rifles.

That is what really bothered me about this situation - the total lack of information available to me (a prospective consumer). From website, to retailers, to Ruger itself; no one had the ability to answer many of the questions that I thought were basic to someone considering the purchase of this weapon.

Another item - I posted the orignal question on this forum and two others. All have very experienced members. I can count on one hand the total number of replies I've received. This tells me that Ruger is simply not very popular amoung hunters/shooters that value extreme accuracy and down range performance. If I had asked the same question about a particular model of Remington or Sako or Savage; I would have been buried in replies and comments.

It is somewhat sad for me to accept that an old established company like Ruger can become complacent. I've always thought well of their guns. Oh well, time to look else where.

Thanks.

Funny you brought this topic up . . .

I was in a gunshop this afternoon and saw one of these. It was not impressive, but they hold it dear. The price was $1400+!! Holy mackerel.

Forgot to add, it did have a cheesy scope on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny you brought this topic up . . .

I was in a gunshop this afternoon and saw one of these. It was not impressive, but they hold it dear. The price was $1400+!! Holy mackerel. </div></div>

Holy Crap! $1400.. isn't this a direct competition to the SPS Tactical? at under $600

YIKES

Just found suggested retail is under $1200, and it comes with a 2-stage adjustable trigger, also says it ships with a swivel harris bipod. Still not a screaming deal vs the SPS Tac.