• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger M77 Hawkeye -vs- Remington 700 SPS

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
Hi Guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to decide between these two rifles. There both within my budget of $650 (Need to stay in that range) and both are available.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye 270cal;
Houge Green OverMoulded Stock
Matte Stainless Finish
Non-Rotating, Mauser Type Controlled Feed Extractor
Scope Rings Included
22" Barrel
$625

Remington 700 SPS 270cal;
Synthetic Stock
Stainless Finish
24" Barrel
$615

I can't decide to save my freaking life. I was ALL about the Ruger, love the Houge stock, Stainless Matte finish, short barrel, and free scope rings, positive feed. Then I was bumping around the Internet, and a couple of guys were kind of harsh on Ruger as a whole. I own a Ruger 25-06 MKII Varmint and used it to make my longest shot on a deer (400 yrds) The gun is more than capable of outshooting my abilities. 3 weeks ago I bought my first Remington Rifle. SPS 700 Varmint 300wsm (limited production run) for $560 and slapped a Nikon 4.5-14 Mil-dot on top. The jury is still out on the Remi, because it's been raining every freaking weekend since I bought the gun.

CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE offer some advise/share some of your experience?

Thanks,

-Pat

Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye -vs- Remington 700 SPS

Forgot to mention this 270 will serve as a back-up to the 300wsm for Elk hunting this fall, and as a general purpose/all around rifle.

-Pat

52 views, and not one opinion, good or bad? Where's the love? Baahaahaa!

I'll swing this over to the hunting section, and see if I can get any action.

-Pat

hey, I have a ruger 77 hawkeye .243 that I use for coyote and deer. It's a great rifle, better than MOA and the LC6 trigger is way better than anything remy could think about putting in a stock rifle. Get the ruger, it's worth the extra couple of dollars...

One of my cousin had a Ruger and sold it because he could get it to shoot under 1.5" at 100yds.

I would go Remington. Just because of the aftermarket parts like triggers, stocks, and DBM systems. Picitany rails for mounting scopes and the use of tactical rings. The list is endless for them. And alot of BR shooters that use custom actions have all lost to a Trued M700. They are extremly accurate when built by a good gunsmith.

Thanks you guy's! If anyone else wants to chime in, I'm all ears!

-Pat

I am guessing this is for a general use/hunting rifle? If so, I would haunt the gunshops and pawn shops and look for an older M700 in .270 if that is your preferred caliber. A five to ten year old M700 will have a better trigger than any of the new X-Mark triggers with the J Lock. Chances are it will be in a wood stock which is infinitely better than the older Remington synthetic stocks or the new SPS synthetic stocks. The wooden stock is easily replaced with a good aftermarket synthetic and the wood can be sold to offset the cost.

Rugers are generally good firearms, but as the receivers are made from castings, they aren't always as square and true as they could be. The angled front guard screw arrangement and associated recoil lug, make obtaining a good bedding job problematic at best. Triggers can be tuned, but aren't easy to work on and aftermarket replacement triggers aren't much better. If there are any inconsistencies or deviations from specs on the machined receiver when the scope "bases" are machined, then your scope could be kinked. These are all worst case scenarios and not necessarily inherent in the breed.

As much as I love a Mauser/Winchester/Ruger external claw extractor and controlled round feed, I would say go with a used/older Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to mention this 270 will serve as a back-up to the 300wsm for Elk hunting this fall, and as a general purpose/all around rifle.

-Pat </div></div>

You're going to haul an SPS Varmint around while elk hunting? You're either in far better shape than I am or you're on a guided hunt with horses or quads...

Anyway, if the 270 is going to be the backup to your 300 WSM, it might be a good idea to have it on the same platform as your primary rifle, ie. Remington 700. However, if CRF is a high priority, the Hawkeye should provide more than adequate accuracy at reasonable hunting ranges. Another option would be to search the used market for a Win 70 Classic Stainless Featherweight in 270 - that'd be my choice.

Man you guys that's some solid advise, very grateful. There's a gun show coming up at Cal Expo, and their are plenty of Pawn Shops that will be getting my attention.

"You're going to haul an SPS Varmint around while elk hunting? You're either in far better shape than I am or you're on a guided hunt with horses or quads..."

That made me LOL! I've been getting s*^t from my buddies over that issue since the early 90's I went from a HK SR-9 Orion (a.k.a. HK91 in sheep's clothing, and heavier) to my Varmint barrelled 25-06, and now the 300wsm. Baahaahaa! that's one of the reasons I'm buying the 270. To be perfectly honest this first started out with me taking a long look at the Tikka t3 lite
in 7mm-08, but I wasnt sure if the 7mm-08 was enough gun for Elk. that's why I moved up a pound or so to the 77/700 models in 270. I don't know? *shrugs*

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...7mm-08, but I wasnt sure if the 7mm-08 was enough gun for Elk. that's why I moved up a pound or so to the 77/700 models in 270. I don't know? *shrugs* </div></div>

Shot placement and bullet selection are even more important than the caliber, of course within reasonable limits. That said, for an elk rifle, 7-08 would most likely suffice, but 270 or 280 would probably be the minimum for my comfort zone. I'd definitely spring for premium bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...7mm-08, but I wasnt sure if the 7mm-08 was enough gun for Elk. that's why I moved up a pound or so to the 77/700 models in 270. I don't know? *shrugs* </div></div>

Shot placement and bullet selection are even more important than the caliber, of course within reasonable limits. That said, for an elk rifle, 7-08 would most likely suffice, but 270 or 280 would probably be the minimum for my comfort zone. I'd definitely spring for premium bullets. </div></div>

Agreed...I'm sure if I slipped one between the ribs, I could take one down with something as small as the 25-06, but why take the chance. I even met a guy who hunted elk most of his life with a 25-06. I just cant see myself losing my first Elk because it hit a shoulder and didn't finish the job.

I just bought my first box of Federal shells w/Barnes 165gr TSX bullets. I then later read that the 180gr would've been a better choice. The shop I bought them from will NOT exchange my 165 for 180's which pisses me off since they were like $52. Oh well, live and learn.

-Pat

I'd love to take my Ruger .270 on an Elk hunt! Stainless steel, synthetic stock (the newer type) and MOA with several loads up to the third or 4th shots when the sporter weight barrel starts getting warm! Not a rifle for extended range sessions but damn sure up to the task of hunting.

Cost $419.00 bucks three years ago. Couldn't pass it up. All other things equal though, I'd prefer a Remington or a Savage as the triggers on either are way better than on my M77.

Can't speak to the new Ruger triggers however. Tough to beat the accutrigger on those Savages!

You know, that Savage trigger and gun keeps popping up. My local gun shop owner has one in 223 and LOVES it. I just don't seem to be able to bring myself to buy one. Every time I think about a Savage, I just keep seeing all those old crappy looking one's they built in the past. Maybe I should lighten-up a bit, come up with another cal. I just have to have and go for it! hehehehe

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just bought my first box of Federal shells w/Barnes 165gr TSX bullets. I then later read that the 180gr would've been a better choice. The shop I bought them from will NOT exchange my 165 for 180's which pisses me off since they were like $52. Oh well, live and learn. </div></div>

Pat,

I highly doubt that the elk will notice the difference...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just bought my first box of Federal shells w/Barnes 165gr TSX bullets. I then later read that the 180gr would've been a better choice. The shop I bought them from will NOT exchange my 165 for 180's which pisses me off since they were like $52. Oh well, live and learn. </div></div>

Pat,

I highly doubt that the elk will notice the difference...

</div></div>

Baahaahaahaa!! No doubt...I just read that they have a better BC in the TSX bullet and like 250 more lbs of energy at 400 or 500 yards, can't remember.

Remington over a Ruger anyday of the week. The Rugers lock time is forever and I have never felt a trigger that I liked from Ruger. This is my 2 pennys

I have the Ruger you are talking about and it shoots great. 3/4 min. of angle at 100 yds with Rem. 130 gr. PSP, 5 shot group. I can't comment on the Remington you described cause I haven't shot one. But it would have to do pretty good to out shoot the Ruger.

Old 77 triggers are suspect at best, but the new LC6 is far and away better than Remy. If your looking to buy, scope and hunt without mods the Ruger works great. If your looking for a .25"MOA rifle call George. And I have fired stock Remy's so I can compare the two. Not just the trigger, but the balance of the hawkeye is very nice and the Mauser action is bullet proof. With practice, which we all know is key the lock time on the Ruger is just as fast. Try them both and see which one works best for you. Those of you knocking the Ruger because of the old 77 trigger need to get with the times.

and why is it that both the Army and USMC use Remington actions for there Sniper Rifles and not Ruger. Im sorry the Lock time is much much slower on a Ruger.

N. W. Shooter,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and giving me your opinion. I would be lying if I said I wasn't leaning towards the Ruger. To be perfectly honest, I'm no longer steady enough to make proper use of a gun that's capable of .25" accuracy. I do however want as accurate as gun as possiable, even if it can out-shoot my abilities.

Hilbilee,

You are just the guy I was looking to hear from. Please make up as many lies as possiable so I can convince myself I'm doing the right thing. hehehehehe

-Pat

Pat,

Here's another thought: since your primary is an (!) SPS Varmint in 300 WSM, how about getting another Remington in the same caliber but in a lighter configuration for your backup? That way, the manual of arms will remain the same regardless of whichever rifle you grab, and there's the added bonus of only having to take one load with you on your hunting trips.

There's a couple of Remington 700 XCR's in 300 WSM on Gunbroker right now - a good corrosion-resistant platform.

Purchase a Remington,there are a few options on the market for them.
And they will out shoot most of their users!!

The Ruger is an investment cast PIECEOfSHIT like all of their rifles/revolvers & pistols.
The only weapon that isn't cast in the Ruger line is the MKI & MKII pistols....

before his passing-
Bill's opinion was that no civilian needed any semi-auto-firearms.

F_CK him & the horse he rode in on.

N.W. shooter i think you misunderstand the term lock time. Practice does not shorten lock time. Stiffer springs and a lighter firing pin shorten lock time. As far as Ruger VS. Remington I'm a Remington fan. I was a Ruger fan for years till I bought a Remington. My Rugers shot well. Averaging 3/8 to 1 in. depending on the rifle. However none of them shot as well as my Remington does. In a hunting rifle I'd personally go for which rifle handles and balances the best and after handling that SPS Varmint either will feel like they where made for ya.

i think you will be limited with what you can do with the ruger in the way of a rail, finding somone to true the action... i believe rugers are more of a hunting rifle than a precision rifle. i am so obsessed w/accuracy that i would go with the remington just because it seems like there are more options to tune it. i own a ruger 22-250 and i was let down with the performance verses the cost. i have never owned a remington, i just think it will be at least equal to the ruger out of the box, plus you can find things like stocks easier and and have an easier time finding people to work on it. good luck, and there is my 2cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, that Savage trigger and gun keeps popping up. My local gun shop owner has one in 223 and LOVES it. I just don't seem to be able to bring myself to buy one. Every time I think about a Savage, I just keep seeing all those old crappy looking one's they built in the past. Maybe I should lighten-up a bit, come up with another cal. I just have to have and go for it! hehehehe

-Pat </div></div>

For my first .308, I bought the package short action Savage model 112 or what ever (I can't keep their model numbers straight!) It is a blued steel, nothing-special-hard wood-stocked rifle with a sporter contour barrel and a 3-9X Simmons scope. I replaced the scope (it's on my oldest girl's .22 savage MK II now!) and put a Leupy VXII 3-9X on her (the Savage not my dughter!). The trigger is fantastic at 2.5 lbs and it is, like the .270Win I mentioned above, 1 MOA capable with some loads until the barrel warms up. Then she gets a little stringy. I bought it for the build potential it harbors.

With that action and trigger, a replacement heavy barrel of some noteworthy accuracy, I have only to drop it into a good stock and have a great new LR rifle.

As it is now though, it is a very decent hunting rifle. Don't discount the Savage. Lots of after market accessories for Savages too! I have rifles by all three and like them.

Just wanted to complicate your decision making process.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Rugers are generally good firearms, but as the receivers are made from castings, they aren't always as square and true as they could be. The angled front guard screw arrangement and associated recoil lug, make obtaining a good bedding job problematic at best. Triggers can be tuned, but aren't easy to work on and aftermarket replacement triggers aren't much better. If there are any inconsistencies or deviations from specs on the machined receiver when the scope "bases" are machined, then your scope could be kinked. These are all worst case scenarios and not necessarily inherent in the breed.

</div></div>

+1 good post. That there is the reason I would steer clear from the ruger. Investment casting is not a good thing in a rifle action, if you get a good one its ook but if you get a bad one there is not much you can do about it. I would get the Rem for this reason not to mention the "FREE" rings that ruger send are free for a reason!

The Ruger rings priced any more than $1.00 are cast-junk!

Before removing a barrel on an investment cast Ruger receiver put a parting cut into the barrel first, so that you don't crack the receiver removing the barrel.

Well with a name like "Dans40X" I did expect you to be on the Remington side of this thread, but gooooood gracious Dan when you get done humping my girlfriend, why don't you go ahead and take a S*^t in my bowl of corn flakes while your at it!

BAAHAAHAAHAA!

Kiddin bub, I asked for it, and by goodness your bringing it, thanks.

Did any of you catch the gun show (can't remember its name) might have been Guns & Ammo TV last night? Its the one where those two mischievous bastards (think their editors) do everything possiable to destroy a perfectly working weapon. Sacrilege I tell ya, sadistic bastards! They took a Ruger....ya that's right a investment cast Ruger, removed the springs, firing pin, and a few other things that would easily be destroyed by heat and threw it in the barbeque, straight into the coals just to see if they could screw-up the steel. Then they put it back together, and started shooting in an attempt to see if it would blow itself to pieces. The damn thing shot fine. You should've seen the look of disappointment on their faces, priceless.

T44,

my gun buddy like your idea of one type of bullet/gun idea, but I'm using this as an excuse to pick-up another caliber of gun. that, and I think I may have enough 30cal's already. 7.62x39/51/54, 30-30, .303, 300wsm, etc.

I was leaning toward the Ruger, but after the countless beat downs by the Remington boys I've leaned back to the dark side, and my buddy told me I'd be a dumb-ass not to. (he's buying the 700 DM in .270)

So, the weather's clear tomorrow, and it's ON. I will be knocking the dust off my Ruger, and it will be up against my Remington....we shall see. I'll let you guy's know the results, good or bad.

-Pat

I just bought a new 700sps 20" 308. I figured what the heck for a little over 600 including tax..what the hell see what it does. I put a mark 4 base and a new leupold mark 4 6.5x20 on it. Picked up a box of federal gmm 168's to see what it would do. I got to the range at 3:20 and they said" you have till 4:00 and it closes" I jogged over to the fifty and got in about 5 shots until I got it about one inch low. Packed it up and Ran down to the 100 and set a target. I shot six consecutive rounds attempting to forget about my lung and heart issues. Shooting off a bipod not completey tightened(realized later). It put one in each corner of a one inch square with one in the center. just one shot went off 2" way right. Now its about 3:40 Did I mention the cup of espresso I had also!
As of now I believe this shoots much better than my ruger a touch better than my winchester and about the same as a auto I got over 3grand into. For me I like to crawl around the bush. I kick the shit out of my guns..its hard not to. I wont feel bad crawling around with this. Remington hey GOOD JOB BOYS!

Well.....the results are in.....the Remington and the Ruger both kicked-ass, couldn't be happier.

The 300wsm varmint right out of the box was deadly (less than 3/4" at 100yds average and one group less than 1/2"). The only beef I have so far is having to push....wouldn't call it a shove to get the cartridge in the chamber. Now that may have everything to do with the design of the cartridge itself and the gun being very "dry" (didn't lube, my bad) The other thing I don't like to see is how susceptible the matte finish is to surface rust. It had a little on it when I pulled it out of the box. I just wiped it off with my thumb, threw it in a case and didn't think much more about it until I pulled it out to shoot. The area had doubled in size, and another spot popped-up. Again my fault for not oiling the thing up, and who knows how long it sat in a warehouse before I bought it.

I also need to mention how pleased I was with the Nikon 4.5-14x. Solid scope, very clear, bright, no issues, period.

You know.....one of guys could have took a moment to say "Hey Pat, that 300wsm has a little kick to it" I believe the first words out of my mouth were "Sweet Baby Jesus" followed by me taking a moment to helicopter my right arm a couple of times to make sure everything was cool. My buddy was cracking-up. I hadn't shot anything quite like that. I was all loose, working on my breathing, just starting to ease-back on the trigger....then Kaa-freakin-zoooom! The cool thing is, it's not really that bad, but I don't see myself running 2 boxes of shells at one sitting anytime soon.

Then it was time to break-out the ole Ruger Varmint 25-06. Now I will give you Remington guys this; The trigger on that old Mark II is NOT as smooth as the Remington, but that gun shoots straight! I pulled two shells out of a box that were at least 15 years old and put them both within a 1/2" of each other, and that's after taking a beating from the 300. That gun and Leupold scope is shooting just as good as ever. Oh....forgot to mention, the action was about 5 times as smooth as the Remi.

In conclusion, I've settled absolutely nothing...Baahaahaahaa. I guess I'll wind-up having to buy them both.

-Pat

Glad to hear that you have decided you will have to end up buying both of them...lol. If I had ever shot the 300 WSM I woulda warned you bout it. I did own a Rem. PSS in 300 Win. Mag and it kicked like a mule. Actually kinda hurt. Seemed to have alot more punishing recoil than my 50 cal. But I guess that's cause of the muzzle break on the 50.

Okay Ruger haters,

how does 1/2" groups at a 100yds grab ya? hehehee Oh and just to talk a little more shit, I did that with factory 130gr Winchester Super-X ammo.

As you may have guessed, I picked the Hawkeye over the standard SPS and couldn't be happier. Maybe I've gotten lucky twice but this thing shoots so nice.

I LOVE the Houge stock, matte stainless finish, (totally grey actually) controlled round feed, FREE scope rings (for cast pieces of shit, their perfect) and the big bonus that I had no idea about.......a free floating barrel. That wasn't in any of the advertisements. (limited Run)

I like this thing so much, I may even by it in the 30-06 model and I have no real need for a 30-06!

I had already bought a leupold VX II 3x9 with the long range duplex to put on it for $329 from Able Ammo when I came across the sale Midway had going on a silver VX III 3.5-10 for $420. Things just happened to fall into place, my buddy needed a scope for his Tikka Varmint. (bad-ass gun btw, smoothest action I've ever come across) He gave me the money for the one I had on order, and I bought the VX III. They both came the same day via UPS even though I ordered it 3 days later. Midway was on it as far as getting the scope out the day I ordered it.

$625 for the gun, $420 for the scope = Happy Pat ;-)

Btw Remi boys, don't think I wasnt sweating balls over your Ruger doesn't shoot worth a shit comments. I was going to come clean good or bad. I'm just really stoked I didn't have to throw that rifle through the front window of the Ruger factory. ;-)

-Pat