• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Ruger M77 Hawkeye -vs- Remington 700 SPS

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
Hi Guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to decide between these two rifles. There both within my budget of $650 (Need to stay in that range) and both are available.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye 270cal;
Houge Green OverMoulded Stock
Matte Stainless Finish
Non-Rotating, Mauser Type Controlled Feed Extractor
Scope Rings Included
22" Barrel
$625

Remington 700 SPS 270cal;
Synthetic Stock
Stainless Finish
24" Barrel
$615

I can't decide to save my freaking life. I was ALL about the Ruger, love the Houge stock, Stainless Matte finish, short barrel, and free scope rings, positive feed. Then I was bumping around the Internet, and a couple of guys were kind of harsh on Ruger as a whole. I own a Ruger 25-06 MKII Varmint and used it to make my longest shot on a deer (400 yrds) The gun is more than capable of outshooting my abilities. 3 weeks ago I bought my first Remington Rifle. SPS 700 Varmint 300wsm (limited production run) for $560 and slapped a Nikon 4.5-14 Mil-dot on top. The jury is still out on the Remi, because it's been raining every freaking weekend since I bought the gun.

CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE offer some advise/share some of your experience?

Thanks,

-Pat

Forgot to mention this 270 will serve as a back-up to the 300wsm for Elk hunting this fall, and as a general purpose/all around rifle.

Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye -vs- Remington 700 SPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ykrvak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as the ruger is concerned. Run.... Run VERY far away. Never look back. </div></div>

Alright now you've got me laughing. What is it about the Ruger you don't like, go ahead, I can take it.

-Pat

One of my cousin had a Ruger and sold it because he could get it to shoot under 1.5" at 100yds.

I would go Remington. Just because of the aftermarket parts like triggers, stocks, and DBM systems. Picitany rails for mounting scopes and the use of tactical rings. The list is endless for them. And alot of BR shooters that use custom actions have all lost to a Trued M700. They are extremly accurate when built by a good gunsmith.

I just answered in the other section but, I have the 77 hawkeye in .243 that I use for coyote and deer. Great rifle, sub MOA without mods and the LC6 trigger is way better than anything Remy could think about putting in a stock rifle. Get the Ruger, it's worth the extra 10 dollars.......

It depends what you want it for. Ruger has finally fixed their terrible triggers and clunky stocks. The HE is a fine hunting rifle (as was the 77), the REM will also work fine. The Savage is usually more out of the box accurate and the new Marlin (a Savage/700 best points clone) is also very accurate and DIRT cheap.

There are no really bad modern rufles, just differences of opinion.

I've owned 6 77s from 7.62x39 to 300 winmag. They always worked just fine, and a few hours work make the triggers acceptable. The MK I tang safety was the best feature the early guns had. Also own/ed a ton of 700s from 222 mag to my custom 400 H&H. The only problem I had was with my custon 244 H&H that needed a SAKO extractor conversion to reliable extract this very hot and somewhat tapered cartridge. IMHO the 721/2 were better rifles than any 700 non custom shop rifle. Smoother and more accurate.

Buy what you want, you'll be happy with either. Good shooting!

Hmmmmm...Phil Shoemaker, world famous beer guide up in Alaska uses an Alaskan Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. IN a recent article for RIFLE Magazine, he stated that the Ruger bolt action in .338 Win Mag is the most popular guide gun currently in use up there.

For most hunting there is nothing wrong with those you picked out, but I'd take a Howa over either of them...they are all forged and good machining...a great quality for the money.

The new Marlin is a nice little rifle with interesting design features for about 1/3 the money.

I like the RCM in the Ruger line...any of these rifles will get the job done for you at 400 yards.

TC

Buy the Ruger .270. I'll have a factory synthetic camo stock for sale in a few weeks.

Joe

I have two Rugers and had four at one point. Al of the shot very well. My 22-250 shot sub MOA and my 7mm magnum will do sub MOA if I do my part.

I also own Remingtons and am pleased with them. I don't think that you will be unhappy either way you decide to go.

Krummarine,

What sort of stock will you be putting on your Ruger? The one I'm looking at already comes with a Houge Stock.

Here's a link; http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=100810

It's been a pretty even split so far, with the Remi slightly ahead. I'm just having a hard time giving up on that Ruger. My very first gun was a Ruger 10/22 and after (I think 30yrs) and a zillion rounds and rarely cleaned it's still the best gun I've ever owned.

I think I'll try a little head to head competition between my Remi and Ruger this weekend and see who comes out on top.

I will say this; If I buy that Ruger and I feel like selling because it isn't accurate, I WILL spend the rest of my life telling others not to EVER buy one.

-Pat

Other choice are the Tikka line of rifle that are very accurate and also the Weathery Vanguard that you can buy the sub-moa that has to shoot a 3 shot group .99 or less from the factory.

I'd go with the Remington because of service and parts avaible.I've got a Ruger M-77 all weather in a .300 wm cal. I cab cut holes-touching on the first two shots,the third shot will pull 3/4 inche to the left,but its my hunting rifle,please withit,but not much it aftermarket parts....nothing wrong with the Weatherby Vangruad,got one for my boy in the 7MM Reg Mag for $400.00 at Wally World,but I'd still go with the Remington,who knows,maybe someday it will become a GAP!

IMO,
The Remingtons are generally more out of the box accurite, but I like the Rugers CRF, and one piece scope mounts. I have several of both and like them for what they are, good solid hunting rifles.

I have both. I own the Remington SPS in 30-06 and the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 7mm Rem Mag. Both equipped with Buckmaster 3-9x40 scopes. I use them both in the field and have never had an issue harvesting an animal with either. They're both hunting rifles and I've never measured the holes in the paper however I have always felt I got better out-of-the-box accuracy with the Ruger.

Equip both and buy whatever is more comfortable for you and go kill some dinner.

I just had a vangaurd 3006 crack the action down the center with 100 factory rounds

I've got this thread in two different spots, and I wanted you guy's to see what happened over the weekend.

Well.....the results are in.....the Remington and the Ruger both kicked-ass, couldn't be happier.

The 300wsm varmint right out of the box was deadly (less than 3/4" at 100yds average and one group less than 1/2"). The only beef I have so far is having to push....wouldn't call it a shove to get the cartridge in the chamber. Now that may have everything to do with the design of the cartridge itself and the gun being very "dry" (didn't lube, my bad) The other thing I don't like to see is how susceptible the matte finish is to surface rust. It had a little on it when I pulled it out of the box. I just wiped it off with my thumb, threw it in a case and didn't think much more about it until I pulled it out to shoot. The area had doubled in size, and another spot popped-up. Again my fault for not oiling the thing up, and who knows how long it sat in a warehouse before I bought it.

I also need to mention how pleased I was with the Nikon 4.5-14x. Solid scope, very clear, bright, no issues, period.

You know.....one of guys could have took a moment to say "Hey Pat, that 300wsm has a little kick to it" I believe the first words out of my mouth were "Sweet Baby Jesus" followed by me taking a moment to helicopter my right arm a couple of times to make sure everything was cool. My buddy was cracking-up. I hadn't shot anything quite like that. I was all loose, working on my breathing, just starting to ease-back on the trigger....then Kaa-freakin-zoooom! The cool thing is, it's not really that bad, but I don't see myself running 2 boxes of shells at one sitting anytime soon.

Then it was time to break-out the ole Ruger Varmint 25-06. Now I will give you Remington guys this; The trigger on that old Mark II is NOT as smooth as the Remington, but that gun shoots straight! I pulled two shells out of a box that were at least 15 years old and put them both within a 1/2" of each other, and that's after taking a beating from the 300. That gun and Leupold scope is shooting just as good as ever. Oh....forgot to mention, the action was about 5 times as smooth as the Remi.

In conclusion, I've settled absolutely nothing...Baahaahaahaa. I guess I'll wind-up having to buy them both.

-Pat

Okay Ruger haters,

how does 1/2" groups at a 100yds grab ya? hehehee Oh and just to talk a little more shit, I did that with factory 130gr Winchester Super-X ammo.

As you may have guessed, I picked the Hawkeye over the standard SPS and couldn't be happier. Maybe I've gotten lucky twice but this thing shoots so nice.

I LOVE the Houge stock, matte stainless finish, (totally grey actually) controlled round feed, FREE scope rings (for cast pieces of shit, their perfect) and the big bonus that I had no idea about.......a free floating barrel. That wasn't in any of the advertisements. (limited Run)

I like this thing so much, I may even by it in the 30-06 model and I have no real need for a 30-06!

I had already bought a leupold VX II 3x9 with the long range duplex to put on it for $329 from Able Ammo when I came across the sale Midway had going on a silver VX III 3.5-10 for $420. Things just happened to fall into place, my buddy needed a scope for his Tikka Varmint. (bad-ass gun btw, smoothest action I've ever come across) He gave me the money for the one I had on order, and I bought the VX III. They both came the same day via UPS even though I ordered it 3 days later. Midway was on it as far as getting the scope out the day I ordered it.

$625 for the gun, $420 for the scope = Happy Pat ;-)

Btw Remi boys, don't think I wasnt sweating balls over your Ruger doesn't shoot worth a shit comments. I was going to come clean good or bad. I'm just really stoked I didn't have to throw that rifle through the front window of the Ruger factory. ;-)

-Pat

Love my Hawkeye in 223. 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 with American Eagle 63gr sp with a Nikon 2-7 monarch on top.

I had doubts when I bought it but they proved me wrong. These rifles seem to "fit" better than the mark II. I'd buy another. Especially for $540 in stainless to match the other Rugers in 223 and 260. Definitely a good rig.