• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger M77 Heavy Barrel

Old Iron Sights

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2023
Kansas
Hello everyone. A while ago I inherited a Ruger M77 Heavy Barrel in .308. The rifle had not be shot for decades and looks minty new. I understand that some of these rifles had issues shooting well depending on the barrel manufacturer. The original owner barely shot it and it was so long ago he remembers very little about how it shot. I contacted Ruger with the serial number and they said it was a contractor barrel. Because I am still new to shooting with magnified optics (at any considerable range) I am wondering if it would be worth my time seeing how it handles. I wouldn't be able to tell if I am just a poor shot with it or if the rifle has a defect. Can any of the members share some of their knowledge about these rifles and the likelihood that I have one with a sub par barrel?

We can speculate all day but it would be give you to clean it, grab a slip on limb saver pad, and a few different types of good ammo and see how it does.
Mine shot fine, I was content with it as is for a decade but with a bedding trigger and barrel it shoots great.

Reactions: Modoc
I’m going to echo spife, Get some Federal Gold Medal Match and some Black hills or HSM ammunition to see how that rifle shoots.

I have become a follower of the target tells You more than the (insert the whiz bang accessories here) crowd.

Paper/Steel At distance will tell you more than anything else.