• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger M77 Mark 2 30.06 blew up in my face today - I just now see why

Danilla_Ice

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2019
I just got home from a terrifying range experience. I'll start by saying that I've been reloading for years, am very diligent and attentive to detail, tend to load conservatively and am generally a pretty cautious person with all things reloading.

That said, I picked up a new old stock Ruger M77 Mark 2 rifle from an online seller this past week. I wanted something with less carbon fiber and modern tactical vibes like most of my stuff is these days, and something with a walnut stock and some classic lines seemed perfect. The rifle came packaged just like I had teleported back in time to the 1990s. I loaded up some "conservative" rounds to get it on paper and start sighting in the scope I had mounted early today.

I went to the range, got setup to get it on paper at 50 yards after bore sighting it in. I load in 3 rounds thinking, chamber the first and setup for the first shot.

Then a boom, but the bad kind.

I saw a crazy red flash in my face and the rifle stock exploded all over the place. My worst nightmare as a reloader.

I escaped with some small cuts on my face and trigger hand, and of course some shock.

The RO and others at my club came over to help inspect and assess the situation. A gave up a couple of my loads for them to examine, captured it as a "range incident" and I was on my way.

Of course I was immediately questioning myself and what I might have done wrong with the load, imagining myself contacting Ruger to have the rifle examined, and wondering what I could learn from this and if I had just made an expensive mistake without recourse.

I got home and went to my reloading bench. One thing I had told the guys at the range was: "I don't load pistol cartridges, or possess any powder with unusually fast or slow burn rates". (given I primarily load for 4-5 calibers using a narrow range of powders - I have 4350, RL17, 4381, etc.).

I couldn't possibly have loaded the modest 30.06 case with enough powder from one of those to explode my rifle, right?

I went to my bench and pulled out the jug of RL17 I had used....to see that it was RL7, not 17. I've never intentionally ordered any 7, as I've not had any use for it. I did however order 3 jugs of 17 many years ago to stockpile for my 6.5cm that seemed to really like it. Apparently I received 2 of the 17 and one of the 7 and just never noticed it.

I had always remembered to keep the powder jug used for a given load, adjacent my chargemaster to ensure I knew what was being loaded at all times - standard best practice. Yet I stupidly assumed the only Reloader powder I owned was the 17 and didn't even notice the missing "1" from the front of the jug. Lesson learned. Now to see if the destruction is limited to the bottom metal and stock. Ruger will have to open the action for me as the bolt is jammed in place. I'm fearful the entire receiver could be damaged enough for this to be a total write-off attributed to sloppy reloading. I'm crossing my fingers Ruger has a decent proposal for to salvage it.
IMG_1789.jpeg

Nice first post 4 years later... I am happy you are alright, I have been there with a pistol and gladI walked away with all my parts intact,it can be a butt puckering experience for sure.

What was the load, I will dial it up on quick load and see just how close you came to meeting Jesus.

Reactions: Danilla_Ice
Your story of not noticing the label not having a '1' is not the first time I've read this. The rifle looks like it was purdy. Glad to hear you're okay.

Nice first post 4 years later... I am happy you are alright, I have been there with a pistol and gladI walked away with all my parts intact,it can be a butt puckering experience for sure.

What was the load, I will dial it up on quick load and see just how close you came to meeting Jesus.
It was 50gr (of RL 7) w/ Barnes 175gr LRX (Lapua brass, federal 205)

I'm glad you are okay! Maybe Ruger can get that one fixed back up for you.

I accidentally substituted Universal Clays with International Clays in 45ACP many years ago when I just started reloading. I got halfway through a mag in a 1911 when the gun had a small kaboom. The case ruptured and blew the mag out the bottom. Zero damage to the gun and I found the error when I got home.

The same thing is going to happen with all these different Staball powders that are coming out if people aren't careful.

Telling the story for others to hear as a caution is a good thing.
Everyone needs to consider how easy that mistake was to make.

Very glad you were not hurt. The rifle can be replaced, your eyes and fingers not so much.
Really sorry about the rifle, it looked like it was a classic.
Hope you shake it off and get back in the saddle.

This is a problem I have with most powder packaging. It all looks too similar and it's too easy to mix up. Not too difficult to put a color-coded label based on relative speed or intended use. I've never mixed up powder, but I can certainly see how it could happen. So many of the Alliant powders are the worst - they all have nice big numbers, but they're all red and look too similar.

Thanks for the reminder about staying diligent to details in ALL aspects of reloading, OP.

Glad you're okay.

106,000PSI...wowzers.

Send it back to ruger as you said, I bet they spin the barrel off relieving tension from the brass and it works again, probably they will do one of those crack tests on it but the metal bits still look good externally.

Reactions: lash
018R0701.jpg
018R1701.jpg

I know there's people reading this thinking "yeah right, how could you not notice?" I know for me, someone with dyslexia/dyscalculia issues, regularly seeing/not seeing numbers, letters and even whole words at times, I could easily do this.

Last edited:
They used to have a better way of ID on them bottles. They had a different color circle backgound for each powder. RL-7 had yellow and RL-17 had Red

Reactions: RegionRat
View attachment 8268751View attachment 8268752

I know there's people reading this thinking "yeah right, how could you not notice?" I know for me, someone with a dyslexia/dyscalculia issues, regularly seeing/not seeing numbers, letters and even whole words at times, I could easily do this.
yeah, it was a dumb mistake but one that I could see someone else making as well, which is why I thought it was worth highlighting. I don't know if I was tired or what. The fact that I didn't even know I had any RL7 around made it worse!

Send it back to ruger as you said, I bet they spin the barrel off relieving tension from the brass and it works again, probably they will do one of those crack tests on it but the metal bits still look good externally.
Yep! I got off the phone with Ruger today and their customer service (first time I've ever had to call them) lives up to the positive experiences my friends have described. They sent me a Fedex label and I'll send it to their factory today where a guy who's been inspecting rifles for 30 years will do an evaluation and they'll repair it or provide an alternative solution - possibly a discounted Hawkeye (which is basically a "Mark 3"). I'd love to be able to rebuild the same rifle though, at least there'd be a story to it!

That was a close one . Glad to see this story has a happy ending .

Reactions: RicRap
But how did it shoot 🤪
funny you ask. I had only bore sighted it, and it was centered but 8" high at 50 yards, which I think is pretty good...I only wish I had chrono'd it, was probably traveling at 4000fps lol (although looking at the chart above, maybe not even 3000? Woulda thought higher)

Just out of curiosity I took a trip over to the Alliant site...

There is one recipe for RL 7 and 30-06. Data is for a 100 gr Speer RNSP... Max charge is 47 gr.

OP loaded a 175 on top of 50 gr.

The fact he is still here has zip to do with luck. A well-engineered design and some divine intervention seem more likely.

Glad you're still with us.

Mike

I know Ruger has touted themselves being the leader in the investment casting technology sector for many decades. Your loading mistake has proven their investment castings can take the pressures. Your Rifle is an older Rifle.

I'd bet that 50 grains of Re-7 would have blown up other receivers.

I hope Ruger can get your Rifle back up & running. We need photos & range report if they do.

Last edited:
Well give Ruger a Pat On The Back. From what I could see in the picture; 106,000 PSI and the receiver / bolt / barrel appeared to hold. Says a lot for Ruger’s metallurgy, construction and Peter Mauser’s design.

That's probably the single best ballistic performance event in the 30-06 four centuries of existence.

And for my next trick, I'll show you how to achieve 300 Norma speeds in your 30-06.......... once.

Reactions: RTH1800 and BGE541
I believe I have a M77 stock I will give you if you want it, it came off my 30-06 when I moved it to a v block a few years back, likely fit like a glove. Let me know if you want it and I will send you an early Xmas present for all the trouble you have had lately.

This rifle is exactly the same rifle, we used as a donor rifle to build a .35 Whelen. The difference is that our rifle was in rough shape when we purchased it.

Still, I have a barrel in .30-06 if you would like it. I will be out of pocket for a bit, but can get it too you sometime in early December. Not the greatest barrel in the world, but better than nothing.

Glad you survived this mishap without any serious injury.

There are some realistic things that distributers can/could do to help prevent this and other types of error. Hodgdon's IMR labels with different colors are probably the best, but even that can be an issue. But ultimately the responsibility is on the user. Probably the best answer to prevent a mistake is to label the Caps with the powder type. Not two many times that two powders would be open at the same time where caps could be mixed up. It's the last thing we see before use and the first thing when returning powder to the container.

I believe I have a M77 stock I will give you if you want it, it came off my 30-06 when I moved it to a v block a few years back, likely fit like a glove. Let me know if you want it and I will send you an early Xmas present for all the trouble you have had lately.

This rifle is exactly the same rifle, we used as a donor rifle to build a .35 Whelen. The difference is that our rifle was in rough shape when we purchased it.

Still, I have a barrel in .30-06 if you would like it. I will be out of pocket for a bit, but can get it too you sometime in early December. Not the greatest barrel in the world, but better than nothing.
This is really generous of you both, and I sincerely appreciate it.

Ruger acknowledged receipt of the rifle today and so I'll wait and see what they tell me with respect to the integrity of the action. It's possible they repair the bottom metal and give the green light for reuse of the receiver and barrel. Or they might tell me to scrap the whole thing. I'll let you know either way if I can make use of those other parts, thanks so much in advance!

Ok....update: Ruger got back to me the other day, the rifle is toast and unrepairable. They offered me a discounted Hawkeye (which as many of you probably know, is essentially a M77 "Mark 3," so I'm out the original but I'll be stepping into a newer rifle for what I assume is roughly wholesale (800) and it'll have a better trigger and a few other nice upgrades. I didn't really "need" to replace it, as I have many rifles, but I was really set on having a modern controlled round feed, which I lacked before I added the now blown up M77 to the safe.

Also worth noting, and an accidental omission from the original story. I realized after the fact that I had shot the same 106k psi pressure load through my Heym SR30 a few weeks before and the gun didn't blow up, but just had a very sticky bolt, which is why I had the rounds still lingering in my ammo box. I've since shot many normal pressure rounds through it and it works great. So if anyone wonders about the strength of that really interesting ball bearing lockup-straight pull bolt design.....now you know!

When a firearm is subjected to a pressure beyond the proof load pressure they are not going to do anything in terms of repair or approval for use. I doubt that once in their possession they will return it. The liability is just too great.

Reactions: 264win
Even if OP rifle was salvageable ( very likely)
No way any smart company if going to do it. To many ambulance chasing lawyers.

Last edited:
yeah, I had a sliver of hope that perhaps they'd repair it along with a signed waiver that would limit their liability, but even that was wishful thinking in hindsight.

It was an expensive mistake in the end, but I didn't lose any fingers or blow my face off....so I'm considering myself lucky to have learned a really valuable lesson prompting me to triple down on reloading rigor and attention to detail, without any long term physical scars. I think it's easy to lose sight of the dangers of these kinds of mistakes after you've been reloading many years without any mishaps.

I blew up a remingtom 700 with aa#5. Shit happens no how long you have been reloading.

I was lucky. I just lost the bolt. It scared the hell out of me. I am pay a lot closer attention now.

This is a problem I have with most powder packaging. It all looks too similar and it's too easy to mix up. Not too difficult to put a color-coded label based on relative speed or intended use. I've never mixed up powder, but I can certainly see how it could happen. So many of the Alliant powders are the worst - they all have nice big numbers, but they're all red and look too similar.

I agree. Its one thing I like about the Hodgdon, Win, and IMR labels; they still use a unique color for a particular powder. Accurate and Alliant powder used to have different colors also, but they have both gone to a single color style that isnt as good in my opinion. I was hoping Hodgdon would change the Accurate and Western labels to have individual colors again.

I just got home from a terrifying range experience. I'll start by saying that I've been reloading for years, am very diligent and attentive to detail, tend to load conservatively and am generally a pretty cautious person with all things reloading.

That said, I picked up a new old stock Ruger M77 Mark 2 rifle from an online seller this past week. I wanted something with less carbon fiber and modern tactical vibes like most of my stuff is these days, and something with a walnut stock and some classic lines seemed perfect. The rifle came packaged just like I had teleported back in time to the 1990s. I loaded up some "conservative" rounds to get it on paper and start sighting in the scope I had mounted early today.

I went to the range, got setup to get it on paper at 50 yards after bore sighting it in. I load in 3 rounds thinking, chamber the first and setup for the first shot.

Then a boom, but the bad kind.

I saw a crazy red flash in my face and the rifle stock exploded all over the place. My worst nightmare as a reloader.

I escaped with some small cuts on my face and trigger hand, and of course some shock.

The RO and others at my club came over to help inspect and assess the situation. A gave up a couple of my loads for them to examine, captured it as a "range incident" and I was on my way.

Of course I was immediately questioning myself and what I might have done wrong with the load, imagining myself contacting Ruger to have the rifle examined, and wondering what I could learn from this and if I had just made an expensive mistake without recourse.

I got home and went to my reloading bench. One thing I had told the guys at the range was: "I don't load pistol cartridges, or possess any powder with unusually fast or slow burn rates". (given I primarily load for 4-5 calibers using a narrow range of powders - I have 4350, RL17, 4381, etc.).

I couldn't possibly have loaded the modest 30.06 case with enough powder from one of those to explode my rifle, right?

I went to my bench and pulled out the jug of RL17 I had used....to see that it was RL7, not 17. I've never intentionally ordered any 7, as I've not had any use for it. I did however order 3 jugs of 17 many years ago to stockpile for my 6.5cm that seemed to really like it. Apparently I received 2 of the 17 and one of the 7 and just never noticed it.

I had always remembered to keep the powder jug used for a given load, adjacent my chargemaster to ensure I knew what was being loaded at all times - standard best practice. Yet I stupidly assumed the only Reloader powder I owned was the 17 and didn't even notice the missing "1" from the front of the jug. Lesson learned. Now to see if the destruction is limited to the bottom metal and stock. Ruger will have to open the action for me as the bolt is jammed in place. I'm fearful the entire receiver could be damaged enough for this to be a total write-off attributed to sloppy reloading. I'm crossing my fingers Ruger has a decent proposal for to salvage it. View attachment 8268349
I wouldn’t’ Reuse any pressure containing components you probably exceeded the yield stresses of the metal. I missed putting powder in a case once. After I tapped out the bullet I framed it and hung it on the wall as a reminder. Suggest you do the same. Glad you’re ok.

View attachment 8268751View attachment 8268752

I know there's people reading this thinking "yeah right, how could you not notice?" I know for me, someone with dyslexia/dyscalculia issues, regularly seeing/not seeing numbers, letters and even whole words at times, I could easily do this.
This should really be taken up with Reliant Powder From a Human Engineering standpoint This is too easy to mistake. They should at least spring for a new rifle. A lawyer might be interested (I am not one). Good Luck to you.

I was copying some loads out of a manual and writing them on "stickies", then I was going to load a bunch of of ammo to shoot over the chronograph come the weekend.
I would go to my favorite spot in the hills and st up, spending all day in quiet contemplation of what changes to make the following week. The rifle I was using that day was an FN Mauser with a custom stock in 6.5x257 Roberts Improved in a Varmint barrel with a 20X scope with the end-game being the tightest group I could could get from that rifle.
I would go through loads with several different powders, and several different bullets, none would be anywhere near hot.
I would be shooting from my pickup from a bench that I carry around with me. The target was to be set up at 100 yards and I've done this for years.
I would write in my ledger the load information, the day's conditions and the results to be contemplated in my recliner over the next few nights.
The day I went out was a still, windless, warm but not hot, peaceful day.
I would shoot a group, then mark the target with the load info, and prepare to shoot another group. the rifle cooling down between groups. Nobody came by to interfere with my activities. and I shot several groups, some that I found interesting.
Suddenly, there was a loud "pop" that I could hear inside my ear-plug assisted ear muffs, and I was shoved back in my chair, numbness all over my face, and confusion reigning.
when I could see what had happened, there was wrecked rifle laying on the ground, next to my bench, and splinters in my cheek with small droplets of blood coming from them. I was fine, but it was time to start cleaning things up and head for home.
The rifle looked just like yours...but mine was a single-shot and when the gas from the split case went down to the magazine, it was deflected sideways and came out both sides. so the pieces were from both. Quite a mess!
Going through my notes, I found that my load of Rx#17 had a substitute of number Rx#7 in the case, and the other, unfired , cases still had it in them.
The bolt was sure stuck tight. I finally got it beat open with a rubber mallet, and found the locking lugs were displaced enough that you can feel the bump when you work the bolt without a round in it. It won't cycle with a round in the extractor. I have the action sitting next to my bench as a reminder whenever I am reloading.
That combination of bottles of #17 and #7 is quite a problem, and I believe that the two different-colored labels is a good idea, even if it wouldn't have helped in my case.
Have fun,
Gene

I was copying some loads out of a manual and writing them on "stickies", then I was going to load a bunch of of ammo to shoot over the chronograph come the weekend.
I would go to my favorite spot in the hills and st up, spending all day in quiet contemplation of what changes to make the following week. The rifle I was using that day was an FN Mauser with a custom stock in 6.5x257 Roberts Improved in a Varmint barrel with a 20X scope with the end-game being the tightest group I could could get from that rifle.
I would go through loads with several different powders, and several different bullets, none would be anywhere near hot.
I would be shooting from my pickup from a bench that I carry around with me. The target was to be set up at 100 yards and I've done this for years.
I would write in my ledger the load information, the day's conditions and the results to be contemplated in my recliner over the next few nights.
I would shoot a group, then mark the target with the load info, and prepare to shoot another group. the rifle cooling down between groups. Nobody came by to interfere with my activities. and I shot several groups, some that I found interesting.
Suddenly, there was a loud "pop" that I could hear inside my ear-plug assisted ear muffs, and I was shoved back in my chair, numbness all over my face, and confusion reigning.
when I could see what had happened, there was wrecked rifle laying on the ground, next to my bench, and splinters in my cheek with small droplets of blood coming from them. I was fine, but it was time to start cleaning things up and head for home.
The rifle looked just like yours...but mine was a single-shot and when the gas from the split case went down to the magazine, it was deflected sideways and came out both sides. so the pieces were from both. Quite a mess!
Going through my notes, I found that my load of Rx#17 had a substitute of number Rx#7 in the case, and the other, unfired , cases still had it in them.
The bolt was sure stuck tight. I finally got it beat open with a rubber mallet, and found the locking lugs were displaced enough that you can feel the bump when you work the bolt without a round in it. It won't cycle with a round in the extractor. I have the action sitting next to my bench as a reminder whenever I am reloading.
That combination of bottles of #17 and #7 is quite a problem, and I believe that the two different-colored labels is a good idea, even if it wouldn't have helped in my case.
Have fun,
Gene

Thank You for sharing your experience. We all learn and benefit from these troubles. I think a root cause here (and there certainly are others, is the ease of mixing the 7 and 17) are there other examples of this waiting to happen like 1 and 11. This is truly a failure of human engineering by the manufacturer which is easy to fix. Writing out the numbers or using a European 7 that is a 7 (with a bar through the vertical part). Not that I want to engineer this but the manufacturer should make a contribution to safety.

As far as color, be warned. SR4795 and IMR4350 have label colors very close to identical. Might be hard these days to find any 4759 (except in my powder closet where i have plenty, my goto powder for 7BR and 7TCU in my handgun silhouette days) But 4759 has roughly the same speed as H110/Win296 and would be pretty tough when a rifle case is loaded to volume capacity. Problem is, the two powders look very close to identical in appearance as well. Further problem, the use of light charges, 10 to 15 grains, works great in rifle cases due to 4759’s tolerance. So, it requires caution when the two might be still used regularly. (Current replacement for 4759 is Western Powders 5744).

Have fun,
Gene
Bummer. Glad that story ended without being worse.