• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Ruger M77 tang safety ring alignment help

LoneStarBrian

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2020
Figure this is a good place to ask

Ruger M77 270. Has the factory rings on it and I was setting up another rifle/scope and decided I would check the ring alignment on this gun.

I put a set of Wheeler alignment rods in the rings and the points are a good 1/16-3/32" out of alignment left/right (looking down from above)

I have looked online and can't find any way to correct the issue.

I would prefer to leave it original but so far the only hope I see is buy a rail that attaches to the receiver and then different rings or have a smith do some modification?

I think it is the back ring that needs adjusting but the way they are made / attach has me at a loss as to how I can

Can't post pics from this computer (work) but if needed I can post some when I get home

You can sand the lug down a bit but I wouldnt worry about it. If you do worry still try a set of leupold rings, see if that fixes it.

I had the same problem with my Scout rifle. Setting the scope in the rings, there was not enough windage adjustment to get the cross hairs on center while bore sighting. In my case, I needed to carefully file down the claw integral to the rear lower ring mount, test fitting and bore sighting a number of times until I could get the scope and bore aligned. I then lapped the rings and epoxy bedded the scope into the rings. All this involved only the lower rings; the ring caps were not touched.

After talking about this issue with other M77 owners on a Ruger forum, it seems to be pretty common. The integral ring and base mounting system is a great idea, but Ruger doesn't execute it very well.