• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ruger making a 1911

JMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2007
Wisconsin
Well I can say that I'm suprised by Ruger over the last few years. I'm sure that much of what they've done over the last few years such as the LCP, the LCR and the Scout Rifle would never have made it into production if Bill Ruger were still alive. But seeing them making a 1911 is still a suprise, and being a "70 Series" not having the "80 Series" adds to the suprise.

This is the link to where I saw the write up on it. $799 MSRP

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

JMC

Re: Ruger making a 1911

I saw that too, somewhere on this internet thing.

I guess my skeptism precedes me on this.
smirk.gif

Plenty of people love the 1911. I'm surprised they haven't tried to get a piece of the market long ago.

The reason I'm skeptical is this.

It's the 1911. You either pay homage to the original design, and make a stellar pistol, or you start say things like "creativity", and "new ideas", and then you wonder why the only people that don't want to tar and feather you are writers from gun magazines, who end up giving you a cheery, neutral, extremely non-biased review, mainly out of fear either pissing off a major gun maker, or their loss at being able to shoot more rounds and getting paid for it.

I'll wait until I see it. I won't hold my breath, and if it turns into an erector set before construction then I'll know that someone thought they were smarter than John Browning.

I think with handgun manufactures, the better question is who is NOT making a version of the 1911? I love the 1911 and I use one for work (SS Springfield) but everyone is making a copy of it, some good some not so good. I guess that's a pretty good complement to a design that is based of a 100 year old design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I'm skeptical is this.

It's the 1911. You either pay homage to the original design, and make a stellar pistol, or you start say things like "creativity", and "new ideas", and then you wonder why the only people that don't want to tar and feather you are writers from gun magazines, who end up giving you a cheery, neutral, extremely non-biased review, mainly out of fear either pissing off a major gun maker, or their loss at being able to shoot more rounds and getting paid for it.

I'll wait until I see it. I won't hold my breath, and if it turns into an erector set before construction then I'll know that someone thought they were smarter than John Browning. </div></div>
I agree 100% with this.

I do find it nice to see that Ruger is keeping with the more traditional configuration. It lacks the "80 Series" type safeties, it uses the GI type recoil spring guide, internal extractor... The frame is cast but so are all of the Ruger 77's and I i may be wrong but I think Caspian and Para frames are cast too not forged.

I can't say I'd buy one right now but I would like so see more information on it and how it holds up and stacks up to the rest of the 1911's out there.
JMC

Please, Ruger: checker the front strap. 20, 25, 30 LPI--I don't even care. Just do something that none of your competition does at your price point.

I'll even fit my own ambies. Just checker the frontstrap, please!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please, Ruger: checker the front strap. 20, 25, 30 LPI--I don't even care. Just do something that none of your competition does at your price point.

I'll even fit my own ambies. Just checker the frontstrap, please!!! </div></div>

It's not that difficult to have the front strap checkered or do it yourself. I admit it would be nice if it came with it, but they would probably try to cast it in or stop short of the curve. I would rather have a clean frame to work with personally instead of having to work around something.

Supposedly the new Ruger doesn't use a cast frame.

And I have never checkered a gun myself (mine is already checkered) but I've heard it's hard work, and I don't want to do it.

The for sale section will be the ultimate judge of how well they made this copy. Ruger is taking a HUGE risk with this. Big make or break for them.

The checkering would be a nice touch for a factory 1911, but it's still becomes a moot point in the long run.

Polishing a turd will still get crap on your hands.

Overall sales are what their looking for not my advice. Not like they are thinking instead of copying everyone else when it cokes to those little toys they make(that's my opinion). Someone above wrote that they wouldn't be doing stuff like this if Bill Ruger was alive today. I wholeheartedly agree.

Do I have love for Ruger? YES! I love the Super Redhawk, and the 10/22, but they're pushing this in the wrong direction.

Time and the For Sale section will tell.

The price point will be hard to beat... but they are competing with Springfields price range so it will have to be a quailty 1911. I might try one for the hell of it. It is a pretty sharp looking gun.. but I love 1911's so I am a bit biased......time will tell.

There is a full write up in this months Guns and Ammo. It looks like it should be nice for the price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the fact that they kept it simple. No ambi thumb safety. No fricking front cocking serrations. Finally! </div></div>

But they did include the, "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" warning.

Ruger...

When you absolutely have no idea as to "what is next" and you think this is a "if you only could have one gun" choice:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Then making a .45 100 years later and only after there are 38 current makers is how they get their A game on.

I get about as excited about any new Ruger as when the check out lady asks "paper or plastic" and give it about the same consideration.

As to whether or not the frame is cast...and you kidding me? Yes it is.