• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Mini 30 opinions or other 7.62x39?

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
I am looking for a good reliable rifle in 7.62x39. Has anybody had any expirience with the Mini 30? I had a Mini 14 and it wasn't very accurate but it seemed pretty reliable. From what I gather the newer models with tapered barrels are better than the old ones. Is there a much better option for the money?

Re: Ruger Mini 30 opinions or other 7.62x39?

If you aren't set on 7.62x39 but need similar ballistics, have you considered an AR chambered in 300 BLK? The ballistics are very similar, and all you need to do is take a standard AR and put a new barrel on it. Ammo isn't nearly as cheap, but you can find it for $12 per 20 rounds if you don't handload. If you handload, it's a no brainer.

Have one. Good rifle for a short to mid range carbine. Needs to be fed brass cased Yugo ammo, not steel case Wolf or Hotshot.

Same holds true for the AR15 uppers in this chambering.

Do you reload? Most if not all Ruger Mini 30's have a .308 bore while most 7.62x39mm is .311. I have one and reload for that reason.