• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ruger MK77 rifle scope mount problem

wielywilly-g

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
west central
I am trying to put a 30mm tube scope on my Ruger MK77 MarkII bolt rifle. It came with factory ruger rings for 1" tube. My local gun shop sold me some NcStar rings that fit in that special Ruger mount, but when I set the scope on them, it was pointing way up. I got to looking and found the two halves of the mount on the cast reciever are not the same level. The front part of the base is about 0.130" higher than the back.
Does anyone know of a setup for this rifle that would allow me to run the 30mm scope tube? Even better, with a 20MOA cant..

Correction: M77, not MK77

Re: Ruger MK77 rifle scope mount problem

Get a Ken Farrell base (20 MOA) that fits in the Ruger receiver slots and a set of quality weaver/picatinny 30mm rings for it and don't mess with the proprietary Ruger Rings! They are a real PITA as you are learning the hard way.

http://kenfarrell.com/

A Ruger M77 receiver requires two different sized rings, a tall one and a short one. If you install the two rings backwards, the scope will point "way up".

Have you tried reversing the position of the two rings? In other words, put the front ring on the back mount, and vice versa.

If your gun shop sold you same size rings for a Ruger 77, they were wrong, they sold you Ruger #1 rings. glock24 is correct. The high one goes in the rear, short one goes up front.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wabird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your gun shop sold you same size rings for a Ruger 77, they were wrong, they sold you Ruger #1 rings. glock24 is correct. The high one goes in the rear, short one goes up front. </div></div>
I have the same rifle and when I needed new rings the guy behind the counter was a real piss ant when I told him he was wrong on the height. I finished the coversation with why do you think they sell them as one not in a pair and he went back and got what I told him to and didn't say another word. Some guys know and some don't. God help the people that are helped by the ones who don't or don't care to know.

I recently built a a 7mm Mag for a friend on a Ruger action...
he had the same problem trying to get a 58mm obj USO on it.

We machined an aluminum pic rail with 21 MOA in it and it looks great with low rings...

IMG_0320.jpg

He needs to zero it and shoot it, but it appears it will work well, and when all is said and done, he'll make a new rail from a stainless blank to replace the aluminum one.

If you're interested in the aluminum blank, or the specs to make it, I can let him know.

You would have to have your receiver drilled/tapped like most other conventional scope base mounts.....

We'll see what the Ken Ferrell base works like when it comes in. Who knows, I might need to take you up on it. Thanks for the offer. Very nice looking rig!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wielywilly-g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll see what the Ken Ferrell base works like when it comes in. Who knows, I might need to take you up on it. Thanks for the offer. Very nice looking rig! </div></div>

I didn't realize your's was a SA,
The Ferrel bases are nice, they just don't make one for a LA

I am not sure if it is long or short action. It is a 22-250 so I assumed short. I have not got the base in yet, but I was digging around and found out I need holes drilled and tapped for Ken's base also. Woops..

Is that something I might be able to do myself with a drill press and a dial caliper? There are no gunsmiths withing 100 miles of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wielywilly-g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is that something I might be able to do myself with a drill press and a dial caliper? There are no gunsmiths withing 100 miles of me. </div></div>

Yes and no, it depends on your experience level machining things.
The Ruger receivers are very hard, my friend promptly broke an 8-40 tap and he has machined a fair bit, he ended up having to get a special cut titanium tap and it worked fine. (after using a nice carbide mill bit to get the broken tap out)

Also, the front hole will have to be blind and the "rearward" front hole will have to be checked to ensure you aren't in the lug area of the receiver...

Success!

Thanks for the help. That cast is pretty hard. I recommend using a .127 drill hole instead of .120 for those 6-48 threads.

It is drilled, tapped, bedded, and shooting really good.
Also, the Gun shop that sold me the wrong rings took them back for credit so everything is a-ok.