• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ruger No.1 Sniper Rifle ?

Gee

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Does anyone here prefer to use a Ruger No. 1 being unable to forego the clean lines and simplicity of a falling block ?

I see picatinny rails can now be bought for a No. 1.

It is a shame the forend can not be full floated off the barrel, as the mounting spigot is not robust enough without some serious custom work. Tensioning it upon the barrel, does float the wood off, but always seems a bit of a compromise, though largely works.

I like mine in stainless.

Gee

Re: Ruger No.1 Sniper Rifle ?

Quick follow-up shots, when necessary, are a bitch.
wink.gif

Its hard to get the no.1s to shoot all that good with that big ass spring under the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its hard to get the no.1s to shoot all that good with that big ass spring under the barrel. </div></div>

ROFL, I have 2 proven rifles with before and after test with adding a Hicks Unit. One 243 and one 25-06, with the addition of a hicks both are under 1MOA rifles. Thas constant and not here and there. I did load work, found a good load for each and did 3-5 shot groups before and after install.

I kinda like the #1, they are nice rifles that have a purpose. The tactical game is not one of those purposes.

Do you need more than one shot, or just more practise ?

Shooters are made, not born, practise is everything.
smile.gif

Gee

dont know what you guys are talking about every no. 1 i ever owned had the barrel free-floated. the teneon is more than heavey and strong enough. you just need to make sure your stock is strong enough to hold the weight if you shoot from a bipod.
used to shoot my 6mm rem no. 1 in a timed varmint silhouet shoot.
that spring under the barrel is the ejector spring also and it can be adjusted down to where it just clears the chamber or like mine set to shoot the spent cartridge into my right shoulder where it fell to the ground. if you lay cartridges out you can fire just as fast as working the bolt on a bolt gun but because your working a lever you dont have to come out of battery if you dont want to, you only have 3 steps to load a no. 1.
check out my custom no. 1 smokeless muzzleloader- the barrel is totally free floated and this gun regularly shoots .75 moa with a .40 200 grain sst and a blue sabot. for got its in .45 caliber
PB041195.jpg

My Ruger No. 1A in 6.5x55 Swedish with no mods is a sub-1 MOA shooter that has produced "best" 3-shot groups of 0.5-0.6" at 100 yards...plenty good enough for being a nostalgic stalking rifle. I mounted a Leupy 2.5-8x36 scope, ideal for a compact hiking package. I had become so enamored of it, that when I came across two NIB Ruger 77RSIs (the full international stock) in .308 and .270, they followed me home. Same scopes for them as well.

They may not be my most accurate rifles but they have become my hunting favorites for any hunt where I plan to take shots 275 yards or less.

FH

I have always wanted one of these lovely rifles.

But while it's an accurate single shot, it's not a realistic military or police rifle.

Of note... someone brought one to a police SWAT school I attended a few years ago. It's what his department gave him. Because someone donated it. He ended up borrowing a a rifle and went home and his department got him a nice 700 setup.

Great rifles. And someday, I'll have one for hunting because I just love them. But please, I suggest you refrain from using the word "sniper" when talking about one. The discussion might not end well here ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

well you know if your a one shot one kill kinda guy it dont matter what the action was on the rifle now does it?????

seriously i think its training and familiarazation that would make the difference. its so easy to load another round in a no. 1 i dont think it is a problem if you train yourself on your weapon.

Hi Savage338Lapua,

Thank you for explaining how fast a No.1 can lay down fire.

Splendid 45 cal muzzle loader No.1 is new to me and great to see.

I had a No.1 in 577 N.E., got 9,500 Ft lbs Muzzle Energy from the 9 1/2 lb rifle,
recoil, well, it would torque out of vertical by 45 degrees, come out of the shoulder, and you needed to have a hand wrapped over the top of the barrel, or be catching it in mid air. The load over stressed the action, but no cratered primer or tight extration. Case heads were no longer at 90 degrees to the case wall....I was young and silly....thought it would shoot 585 Nyati loads........rifle was stolen by a fraudulent UK dealer and exported to the USA. Someone in America has my chrome plated SSK 577 Ruger No.1 with broken Counter Coil that could not take the recoil. It has Birmingham England UK proof marks. I could look up the serial number...

Gee

holly moly gee wow sorry for your misforntune. if i ever run across one that looks like that i will definitly let you know.
thanks about the muzzleloader- i live in ohio but grew up in west virginia using a 30,06 to hunt with so when i moved to ohio i judt couldnt use a shotgun ooooooohhhhh to hunt deer with. when savage came out with there smokeless muzzleloader i began my journey to this rifle which by the way i have had since 2004 and 18 deer later. wow has it been that long. well i am just comfortable with this rifle all the way to 300 yards. my deer load is 73 grains of aa 2015 or h322 it really does like both.
ths sends a hornady 200 grains .40 sst at 2900 fps.
but one load i tested oput early on when i first got the rifle done was sabotless .458 500 grain solid with 108 grains of h4831!! it yeilded 2500 fps and yes it will hurt you to shoot it alot with that load but at five shots it was a ittle over an inch group. i figure that load coud take down anything on this planet and maybe the next three they might find life on lol

I have to agree with the majority......the No. 1 is a rifleman's rifle, not a sniper/tactical rifle. And I will never part with my No. 1V in .22-250.

Hi Rete8,

Do you have any desire to rebarrel your 22-250 Ruger No. 1 to a faster twist, say 1-8, enabling use of heavier VLD heads ? The factory slow twist won't stabilise above 55gr and those light heads sure get blown off target down range. I had trouble with wind recently and after 7 or 8 shots had to give up trying for a 2 inch diameter explosive target at 275 yards. Its a standard stainless heavy barrel No.1 without the rib, just the two scope mounting blocks. Although surprisingly, there is a 3rd forward mounting postion for a scope base/block, unused with two screws blanking it off.

Gee

They're neat rifles for sure. Some of the older ones have some very nice wood on them.

That having been said, If I ever need a mil/leo shooter to save my ass, I would strongly prefer he didn't have to leave his scope to reload.