• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ruger P89

lh3

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
East Texas
I have a ruger p89 9mm. It shoots well and has been reliable for me. I rarely hear about them and there are very few accesories specifically listed for them. They don't seem to be very popular. Why?

Re: Ruger P89

If you want accessories get a glock, 1911, beretta, etc.

If you just need a basic sidearm, the ruger will do the job.

Simplicity of the Glock is one reason it is do popular, anyone with basic skills can customize one.

same with 1911s

Popularity has never been popular with me, shoot what works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lh3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a ruger p89 9mm. It shoots well and has been reliable for me. I rarely hear about them and there are very few accesories specifically listed for them. <span style="font-weight: bold">They don't seem to be very popular. Why</span>? </div></div>

Terrible firearm design. Terrible execution of that design. The trigger is absolutely the worst trigger I have ever had the displeasure of trying. Not a pistol many are eager to wager their lives on. For plinking no worries. Have fun and shoot the heck out of it. Just my opinion.

My bedside gun is a P90, I've shot a bunch of rounds through it and it's been reliable. The biggest issue most complain of is the sheer bulk of the pistol, it's very thick. The trigger is not the greatest but not terrible. Also, the single stack mag in the .45 is annoying, it holds 7 rounds but the huge grip is easily big enough to hold a double stack magazine.

They're dependable, they're just not that ergonomic or pretty. And pretty matters.

I've owned a P89 (I think it was a P89) the 9mm verison from early 90's. The gun shot fine not the best trigger but I can't ever remember having a problem out of it. Always fired with no hiccups.

i bought the p85 new back in 89. $410! my first centerfire pistol. it ate anything i fed it. no reliability problems. yes this piece was bulky, and the trigger was long and creepy. and the over travel after the trigger broke was like 10 feet!. a real bottom feeder weapon by today's standards. gary indiana issued them, maybe still does. it is a favorite in the ghetto. there is no aftermarket because these were not terribly popular back in their day. buddies of mine from the p.d. where i live bought these for $2?? bucks law enforcement price. most were so dissapointed they sold these guns pretty quick.
i would only recomend these to someone of limited funds and knowledge. if you just need it to go "bang" this is your piece. now actually hitting something is a whole other story. if you pay anything more than $250, you got ripped!!

I have an 85 and a 95. I like them quite a bit. They don't have the takedown speed that the Glocks do, the reliability compared to a Glock isn't as good (but then again, I have yet to see anything that is)

I got the 85 for my dad to shoot because he used to have one, it was his only centerfire pistol and he sold it to help me with books when I was in college.

I got the 95 when I was in college because I didn't have 600 bucks for a Glock and I needed something to carry in my bag because I tended to walk back from the lab in the middle of the night to a BAD part of town.

The triggers on them are lousy, they're kinda bulky, and they aren't the most comfortable things to shoot, however, they eat ANYTHING I put through them and they were cheap to get ahold of. For a simplicity of use and teaching someone to shoot they work fine. My 9's are Rugers, my 10's are Glocks. My Glocks get shot about the same frequency and I carry a G29 now that I can afford to own one.

Some police departments issued them, some even liked them. Personally given the choice between a 1911 or a Ruger, I'd take the Ruger to fight back and the 1911 to punch paper.

Thanks for the replies. I thought the gun was a bit bulky, but haven't had anything to compare it to. May trade up now that i can afford it. I like the XDs so far...but Glock seems to be the standard. Decisions decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lh3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies. I thought the gun was a bit bulky, but haven't had anything to compare it to. May trade up now that i can afford it. I like the XDs so far...but Glock seems to be the standard. Decisions decisions. </div></div>

If you sell the piece on GB you're going to get the best return on it compared to walking in a gun shop and asking to trade out.

Used guns on GB are going for 70%+ of the retail right now, the 89 you can probably still get $350 for if you get it cleaned up nicely before taking pictures.

As a private citizen without an FFL you don't need to sell through an FFL in most states, but you can only ship to an FFL 01 holder, it will be transferred to the buyer then.

You can probably get away with only spending another 200 bucks all said and done if you look in the right places for a used Glock. Do you want to stick with the 9mm's? I think you can probably pick up a good G17 for mid 4's on GB, try looking at Southern Ohio Gun's website or JG Sales and they have used Glocks at very good prices.

They are bulky and should hold more ammo given their grip girth! But they are reliable. Mine are the DA/SA with the safety/decocker. They were also available as DA only with decocker or safety.

The Double action pull is annoyingly long but equally as bad as my DAO Sig229! The single action pull is not bad at about 5.5 lbs.

I find them both to be pretty accurate and the only problem I had was feeding from after market magazines. The Ruger Mags are fine.

I paid $279.00 ea. for them (one for Mrs. QQ) in 1996 and see used ones going for low $400s at recent gun shows. High threes is more reasonable for them in good condition.

I like the steroidal Hi-Power look they have. I believe them to be a very good value.

Given the choice between another Glock or another XD, I'd go for the XD.

I had a P94 that I did a trigger job on. It was the most accurate 40 I have ever
seen save one early STI 1911. Fully supported chamber so no worries on hot reloads.
Let a friend talk me out of it.

Keep it..........................
I have a Indoor Range by me, and they rent their weapons out constantly, by the hundreds, and most have been shot to hell and back.
#1 Semi w/ NO stopages, RUGER.
#1 With bad issues, SIG SAUER................

I own a Glock, for the same reason, it's not pretty, and I do not care to Gussie it up, I just want it to go BANG everytime.........everytime.