• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger PCC loose charging handle

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Wanted to solicit advice about the charging handle on a Ruger PCC 9mm. I have it torques down to 65 inch lbs as Ruger suggests, but the handle still walks loose after 50-60 rounds through the rig. The shooting pattern usually is 2 rounds in succession on a target, then 2 on the next one, etc until a 10 round mag is empty, usually takes about 10 seconds I would guess per mag, reload and repeat.

Not a crisis, it can be torqued down again and life goes on. But irritating, and it interferes with my OCD about rigs operating in good order as they are meant to do. Would prefer not to use Loctite on it, just as a convenience to make disassembly for cleaning easier. I use Militec-1 as a lubricant, but it doesn't come near the threads on the bolt.

Any thoughts as to: a) why this might be happening or b) what to do about it? The Ruger support people were willing and tried to be helpful, but at a loss why it wasn't behaving according to spec.

Mine does this even with Blue Locktite and 65 in/lbs. The only solution I've found is to carry a torque wrench with me when I run the rifle hard. I love mine and would never get rid of it, so I just deal with it. Good Luck

620 Loctite. Done.

IMG_1807 copy.JPG

This what Ruger should have done. Nylok strip that's installed in a machined groove in the fastener. Many torque cycles before it wears out. Unfortunately, the minimum order is quite a lot for an aftermarket venture.
strip-02.jpg