• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision or Christensen Precision 338LM

Racerngr1

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Corona, CA
I have a RPR 6.5 that I really enjoy shooting out to about 1,000 and would like to add another rifle. I’ve always wanted a 338LM (honestly that cartridge is a little like the old guy wanting the corvette) and being that I’m having so much fun with working my way to longer ranges now is the time.

I am familiar with the RPR as I have onebut the Christensen caught my eye with some Black Friday deals. I like the RPR for the reason there seems to be a good amount of aftermarket behind it and it has a little weight (which for that cartridge I think I’d appreciate) and very few poor reviews if any.
The Christensen seems nice with Carbon Fiber and sub MOA guarantee but am concerned about lack of weight and aftermarket parts and with it being mite rare than the Ruger a little harder to fix.

The last rifle I’m kind of interested in is the Desert Tech SRS although it’s on the higher end of what I want to spend on the rifle, if I go this route, I’m going to wait until next year.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have the Christensen arms BA tactical in .338 lm. I was very nerous about buying as it only ways 7.5 pound without a scope and i was very worried the recoil would be nasty. I had a savage .338 with the hs stock. For comparisons recoil was more than 300 wm with no break.

So i did a ton research and ended up buying the Christensen arms. Let me tell you this is one of best shooting rifles i have ever had. Christensen's side port break has the recoil controled so well i can spot my shots on targets at 500 yds. The recoil is comparable to that of .308 ar maybe. I could shoot this all day with issue besides the cost of ammo.
I shot 70 rds the first day to break it in per their process. Very easy shooting.

I am shooting 270 gr eld-x bullets out of lapua brass with 89 grains of h1000. Consistantly will shoot sub 1/2 moa. Most 5 shot groups are almost in the same hole or nearlly touching.
2770 fps muzzle velocity with single didgit SD's measured using a lab radar.

I have a gen 1 razor mounted for glass and this rifle was so nice to pack around this year. I would not hesitate to buy a Christensen arms.

Sell the RPR and buy the Desert Tech, get a 6.5 Barrel and a .338 Lapua and then you are all set. The DT seems expensive at first until you have to buy glass for each new rifle chambered in whatever new cartridge that you want to try in the future.