• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger Precision replacement barrel

Smoketheclay

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
So I’ve used up a decent amount of my 6.5 Creedmoor, Ruger Precision stock barrel. I have had good results thus far with the stock barrel.

However I just began loading my base to ogive to 2.55 which makes my COAL too long for my magazines. So I’m assuming I’m probably around halfway through the barrel thus far.

So I need to start purchasing a barrel due to wait times. I want a bartlein barrel - do I buy one and drop in the barrel? I see so many options on buying a new barrel but don’t know if it needs to be Pre-Cut or what I do.

If anyone knows what the steps are that would help.

Thanks

Attachments

• 665E7904-BF06-4F59-BCD4-B165D75CCBA6.jpeg
    665E7904-BF06-4F59-BCD4-B165D75CCBA6.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 126
If you want something reasonable try whiteoakarmament. If you want a BART or Brux or Mullerworks try bugholes.com.

Reactions: Smoketheclay
Any of the brands that Bugholes sells will shoot great. I do not have enough knowledge to recommend one brand over another. Maybe someone else will chime in on that question.

Long Rifles Inc. or Patriot Valley Arms pre-fits are another option.

You can replace them yourself if you have a barrel vise, AR Armorer's wrench, and a set of go/no-go gauges in your chosen caliber.

Long Rifles Inc. or Patriot Valley Arms pre-fits are another option.

You can replace them yourself if you have a barrel vise, AR Armorer's wrench, and a set of go/no-go gauges in your chosen caliber.
LRI is the way to go on RPR barrels and other stuff

Thanks for the feedback. Thoughts on Krieger RPR barrels? They are cut and everything by Krieger for the RPR

Reactions: Changed
Chad Dixon @LRI will have it spun in 3 days of ordering and in you're hand just as fast...... that's a custom barrel for your bullet, he was the first to make aftermarket RPR parts. My 2cents

Krieger sells ready to go RPR barrels, I was going to order one from them but they only do SAMMI chambers and I wanted a shorter throat.
Not really sure if Krieger does the cambering or they send it out.

Krieger sells ready to go RPR barrels, I was going to order one from them but they only do SAMMI chambers and I wanted a shorter throat.
Not really sure if Krieger does the cambering or they send it out.

What are the benefits of not getting a SAAMI chamber, and does it just extend barrel life by allowing for more throat wear?

What are the benefits of not getting a SAAMI chamber, and does it just extend barrel life by allowing for more throat wear?
Kinda, I wouldn't say it extends barrel life really, but as you chase the lands with the wear you will be able to keep your rounds short enough to run in magazines for a longer time. A lot of barrels get changed before they are shot out because people can no longer load to mag length without huge bullet jumps.

So I’ve used up a decent amount of my 6.5 Creedmoor, Ruger Precision stock barrel. I have had good results thus far with the stock barrel.

However I just began loading my base to ogive to 2.55 which makes my COAL too long for my magazines. So I’m assuming I’m probably around halfway through the barrel thus far.

So I need to start purchasing a barrel due to wait times. I want a bartlein barrel - do I buy one and drop in the barrel? I see so many options on buying a new barrel but don’t know if it needs to be Pre-Cut or what I do.

If anyone knows what the steps are that would help.

Thanks

Criterion makes a pre fit for the RPR and sells through brownells. I have the go no go gauges also if you would like to borrow them. I just rebarreled mine with their barrels. Hand loads are .2-.3 MOA all day.

Chad Dixon @LRI will have it spun in 3 days of ordering and in you're hand just as fast...... that's a custom barrel for your bullet, he was the first to make aftermarket RPR parts. My 2cents
He's faster than us currently but he wasn't first, we were. Chad and I even talked about the information on the print several times. They make very good RPR drop ins. We published the drawing for the RPR shank when we did the first one, Frank hosted it in the Gunsmithing forum for several years. We sent him the drawing for it to start making them.

I purchased the barrel in 2017, immediately after receipt of the barrel I called you because of the eccentricity of the barrel (and other cosmetic issues). You indicated that this was common with the Spencer barrels. You offered a refund, but encouraged me to try the barrel out. I did and never had terrific luck with it. I attributed it to my shooting and the fact that it was the first firing of the Lapua brass. Later, when going through my brass, I noticed artifacts from the chamber in the brass. Effectively cutting around portions of the case web. I contacted you January of 2018 to discuss the issue. In February I returned the barrel to you. You confirmed that there was an issue with the chamber. I followed up a few times over the next few months. Finally, I got tired of waiting and bought a new barrel from Krieger. It arrived within three days.

As I said, I was a believer in PVA. I have friends that have had great success with your pre-fit TL3 barrels. As a consumer, I have had to discuss issues with many manufacturers. I rarely have I had to wait three months to receive a repaired/replaced item. Rarely have I had to chase down a manufacturer. I finally called Jeremy and told him that if you could not fix the barrel or replace it in a reasonable time, I expected a refund. I received the "repaired" barrel the next week. I reinstalled the barrel on the action, and it still did not shoot as well as the Krieger barrel.

I regret that I tried the barrel. My first instinct was that it was off. Of course I might be expecting too much out of PVA.

In the end, I'm out the cost of a barrel. I'm also out the cost of 250 Lapua cases. I'm content to let that be a relatively inexpensive lesson, as I was planning to have a full rifle built by PVA.

So how would you rate the Krieger drop in barrel?

I was being facetious, I know how it’s done. I spend a lot of hours in front of a Haas ST40 and a couple others. My parts come out round though. :LOL:

Reactions: Changed
I'm so glad that this could all be hashed out in public where the truth had to be dragged out under the guise of "the consumer deserves to know" when your emails stated otherwise. Hard to support/fix an issue that we don't know exists. Now that we do:

I replied to your PM, if you want to trade for a tripod we can do that. Or we can make you a different barrel for a different action. Let's just clear it up so you're pleased with the money spent and move on.

Reactions: JLP.Payette
So let me see if I have this right, @The_Count .
-you receive barrel from PVA
-the groups are shitty
-Through trial and error and under the direction from Josh, you discover your scope is shit and is the cause of the issue
-You also send him your barrel to have the chamber set back
-you receive your barrel with new chamber
-You contact him again showing .2-.3 size groups and awesome speeds from the barrel
- You cease contact with Josh
-Somehow the barrel is shit again
-You still cease contact with josh
-You come on to a thread and publicly bash PVA saying you lost confidence in PVA, post pics of groups that were shot before your scope issue was discovered, as though they were after the shot before the issue was discovered which paints a completely different picture, but now will except a refund or another barrel from PVA.

If you are as scorned as you sound from your posts about PVA, why would you even want another barrel from PVA? You seem to be the type that cant be pleased no matter what, because it sounds as though Josh rolled the red carpet out for you and to his knowledge, you were satisfied with your barrel.

If you dropped the "O" out of your screen name, it would be more fitting to how you have handled the situation.

Just my $.02

-the groups are shitty
-Through trial and error and under the direction from Josh, you discover your scope is shit and is the cause of the issue
-You contact him again showing .2-.3 size groups and awesome speeds from the barrel
-You come on to a thread and publicly bash PVA saying you lost confidence in PVA, post pics of groups that were shot before your scope issue was discovered, as though they were after the shot before the issue was discovered which paints a completely different picture, but now will except a refund or another barrel from PVA.

If you are as scorned as you sound from your posts about PVA, why would you even want another barrel from PVA? You seem to be the type that cant be pleased no matter what, because it sounds as though Josh rolled the red carpet out for you and to his knowledge, you were satisfied with your barrel.

If you dropped the "O" out of your screen name, it would be more fitting to how you have handled the situation.

Just my $.02

With all due respect, your statements are factually incorrect.

It is, however, lovely to chat with you; adult to adult that is.

Out or respect for Josh, and at his request, I have redacted my posts and images.

Last edited:
-the groups are shitty

Just my $.02

I went back and forth about posting this since it’s a PM. However, Because PVA, someone’s business, has been called out by The_Count for bad customer service/quality, I think it’s fair to PVA so those that read this thread understand more details.

On Tuesday, The_Count PM’ed me to sell me his barrel that supposedly doesn’t shoot well with the following PM:

Hello, I have a used barrel from PVA for sale. It has 300 rounds on it. I sent it back due to a burr in the chamber. They set it back slightly. It’s like a new barrel. Let me know if you are interested. Shot one hole groups before I took it off to sell the RPR with factory barrel. $450 shipped

Either The_Count was trying to rip me off OR the barrel works fine. Either way, I wouldn’t trust his opinion of PVA

I went back and forth about posting this since it’s a PM. However, Because PVA, someone’s business, has been called out by The_Count for bad customer service/quality, I think it’s fair to PVA so those that read this thread understand more details.

On Tuesday, The_Count PM’ed me to sell me his barrel that supposedly doesn’t shoot well with the following PM:

Either The_Count was trying to rip me off OR the barrel works fine. Either way, I wouldn’t trust his opinion of PVA

In point of fact, I had decided to sell the barrel. And indeed I did propose that offer. I also advised you that I could not in good sell it. I did not feel comfortable doing so. I was upfront with you. I have nothing to hide.

Also, anything I’ve ever sold have come with an offer to refund the full value if the purchaser was unhappy.

In point of fact, I had decided to sell the barrel. And indeed I did propose that offer. I also advised you that I could not in good sell it. I did not feel comfortable doing so. I was upfront with you. I have nothing to hide.

Also, anything I’ve ever sold have come with an offer to refund the full value if the purchaser was unhappy.

You only replied that with your “good conscious” you shouldn’t sell it today after I told you I wasn’t interested.

It took you from Tuesday until Friday, after you talking in this thread how bad the barrel you tried selling me truly was. That’s shady.

So on Friday (today), you PM’ed me:

I can’t sell this in good conscience any way. I feel that there is an issue with the barrel. I am taking it up with the manufacturer.

You tried selling me what you call a bad barrel

Wow. Well, I appreciate you saying something.
At this point I will stand by my public and private offer to refund or replace his barrel. As it pains me to "fire a customer" after reading this I feel that we will do no further business together.

Damn... the shit just gets deeper and smellier.

You only replied that with your “good conscious” you shouldn’t sell it today after I told you I wasn’t interested.

It took you from Tuesday until Friday, after you talking in this thread how bad the barrel you tried selling me truly was. That’s shady.

So on Friday (today), you PM’ed me:

You tried selling me what you call a bad barrel
I did indeed offer the barrel, but after reviewing my notes on it, felt guilty. You have my apologies, for whatever that is worth. I was wrong to attempt to sell it. I made my post in this thread to clarify.

So this thread went a bit off the rails. I appreciate the feedback I've received as I am still relatively new to precision shooting and am looking at my first barrel upgrade. I still have a few questions about buying a barrel:

If I buy a "prefit" barrel, can i just install it myself on the Ruger using the armorer's wrench and go/no go gauges? Do I need a barrel vise? I've built AR lowers but have never installed an upper.