• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Opinions

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well boys, are they any good ?

I looked at one about a year ago at a gun show, it seemed a little cheaply made, but that was just a quick look, dont mean to offend anyone.

Mine was really accurate but the bolt felt like dragging a rocking chair through a gravel pit and the stock pulled beard hair. Ended up selling it for what I got it for.

I'd just get a Ruger precision rifle in 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Buy as good a scope as you can afford.
You can always move the scope another rifle. No offense but that rifle with a high quality optic will be way better than you accuracy wise shooting PRS.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChipSawdust
I bought one of the earliest gen 2 6mm creedmoor RPRs (pre-ordered). Workmanship/build quality is just OK. But the specimen I received was a shooter. 0.8" initial 5-shot group with factory ammo. That was the only 5-shot group I shot with factory ammo because I pulled apart the rest of the ammo for brass. Loaded up some 105 gr berger hybrids with 41.5, 41.8 and 42.1 gr H4350 loaded to 2.79" COL (max length in a pmag is about 2.80"). During load testing (3-shot groups), every group I shot was under 0.5" with the best being 0.125" (I keep a picture on my phone!). Of course that's not typical, though if you look at the dedicated RPR thread here, you'll find sub-MOA is typical. Early RPR 6mm creedmoor rifles often had unusually short throats such that factory loads were jammed into the lands, but since mine shot so well I considered that a feature rather than a bug - I have plenty of room to chase the lands as the throat erodes.

Bottom line, given the pricing and intended use, it's a fine entry-level PRS rifle. Too heavy to carry around for hunting or varminting though. It's a fair value for what you pay (street price). I suggest you read through the RPR thread in the bolt action section of this forum.

I have a Ruger PR (gen 1) in 6.5 Creedmoor (added a Ti bolt shroud and muzzle brake) which my son shoots and he usually (but not always) outshoots me and I am using an AI AT in .308 (soon to be re-barrelled in 6.5 Creedmoor).

Lets see, my two examples shot under .5 moa, for a 3 lug they have a light bolt lift, the bolt is all but impossible to bind.
Some complain about the stock but you are holding the pistol grip, the cheek piece and the butt plate are fully adjustable so I believe its either people are unable to correctly adjust the stock or it is in their head.

I have shot mine out to 1K and it did not disappoint.
What can you buy for $1100 with a folding stock ?

Reactions: Speed
They are a good option for the money. It will get you out to 1000+ yds. Spend what you saved on the rifle on a good optic.

Reactions: Speed
I have a 223 Ruger precision rifle. One thing they could have done is put a longer barrel on it, it’s only 20” in the .223. So I’m only running 2600 FPS with a 80 grain Berger. You won’t have that problem with the Creedmoor cartridge Rugers.
I’ve only been shooting long range for 7 months , I hit 2 shots out of 3 at 909 yards on a 16” plate and 2 out of 3 at 1000 ,24” plate. Not great but damm good for me. Shooting over a valley the wind and experience with .223 is more of a factor than the rifle. I use a 6x24 Kahles smr3 reticule in ARC rings on the Ruger I paid $950 for the Ruger with 4 ten round mags.
Savage makes a .223 in a MDT Acc Chassis , it’s got a 26” barrel , 110 Elite precision .
2 guys had them at last match ( it was a .223/.308 match only. They seem like them well only complaint was heavy bolt lift. There in the $1600. Range . The Savage comes in 6 and 6.5 mm Creedmoor also.