• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle

quickdraw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
Well 1300 rounds down the factory barrel. The throat has grown to a point where I can't load in a mag and still be .020 off of the lands. The rifle still shoots sub-half moa though so I'm still staying with the factory 6.5CM barrel. How much life should I expect from this barrel....2,000, 2,500.... what say ye?

You'll typically find that at accuracy degrades at longer ranges before you see it at shorter ranges. For instance, in high power I'll start seeing lower x counts and even dropped points at 600 yards, but I can still shoot cleans at 200 and 300. So, while that barrel may be fine at 100-200 (not sure how far you are testing), at 1000 yd it may already be done. I'm not 100% sure why that happens, but it does.

I haven't shot out a 6.5 creedmoor barrel yet, but I'm guessing 2000-2500 in most cases is the limit before you lose match grade accuracy and the velocity starts falling off.

I have one in 6.5 and closer to 1,500 rounds down the pipe but only have about .008 throat erosion and still keeps about 1/2 minute accuracy out to 1,000 yards. I have a bobsled in mine and single feed, as required in our club shoots, the rounds so I can keep the COAL to whatever we need it to be. I am looking forward to a new barrel but at this point it's hard to justify when it's still shooting well.

I shoot out to 1000y during practice and 870y for matches and it is still solid. I already have a proof research CF barrel sitting in the closet when that time comes. I just need to plan for the barrel swap to make sure I have the time between matches and still have time to get it broken in a bit.