• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire assembly instructions

kgc54

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2018
Troy, MI
Am I the only one to receive a single printed sheet that contradicts the manual's torque instructions for the action screws? The sheet was separate from the manual and looks to have been tossed into the box just before it was closed up. The sheet says 25 inch pounds of torque to the screws and warns not to go over 30 inch pounds. The manual on the other hand states 35 inch pounds. I believe that this lower torque settings may be causing some of my flyer issues.

Reactions: Rover31
flier problems too

Submitted an online form to CS just before the 4th asking which torque setting is correct as I saw your post on another forum. I also questioned a fix for an ill fitting magazine that causes damage to bullet upon chambering and where is the receiver supposed to bed down on when torquing the rear screw. Mine beds on the front tab of the trigger housing and matching notch of magazine housing assembly. Looking at the receiver and magazine latch assembly I would have thought the receiver should bed on the concave surface of the magazine latch assembly. Maybe I'll get a reply soon now we're past the Holiday. I hand loaded cartridges into the chamber directly and still have fliers but would still like the cartridges to load properly out of magazine without skinning lead.

Reactions: Rover31
flier problems too

Submitted an online form to CS just before the 4th asking which torque setting is correct as I saw your post on another forum. I also questioned a fix for an ill fitting magazine that causes damage to bullet upon chambering and where is the receiver supposed to bed down on when torquing the rear screw. Mine beds on the front tab of the trigger housing and matching notch of magazine housing assembly. Looking at the receiver and magazine latch assembly I would have thought the receiver should bed on the concave surface of the magazine latch assembly. Maybe I'll get a reply soon now we're past the Holiday. I hand loaded cartridges into the chamber directly and still have fliers but would still like the cartridges to load properly out of magazine without skinning lead.
Just put one in lay away yesterday before I started to read up on them. Fell in love from 30 ft away and that was it, curios to hear response from CS. Love my CZ but had to have this.

Just put one in lay away yesterday before I started to read up on them. Fell in love from 30 ft away and that was it, curios to hear response from CS. Love my CZ but had to have this.
The rifle does have moments that are inspired. Shooting Lapua Pistol OSP I was able to average .554 MOA over a 25 shot sequence. That discounts the two flyers that pushed the total out to 1.02 MOA at the 50 yard line. That's why I want answers from Ruger. I have a 10/22 with a Green Mountain 20" bull barrel that will shoot .375 to .760 groups at 50 yards all day long with Eley Target with nary a flyer in the group. I also have a RAR 22" in a MDT chassis that does just as we'll with the Ruger production barrel shooting Eley Edge. That's why this problem is so maddening.

i get mine tomorrow i will certainly check if i have the sheet about torque .

I sent mine in to Ruger for accuracy and fee problems.

Got it back with a new barrel and a comment that they experienced no jams.

Test target reflected a group size of 2" CTC with no explanation as to distance shot. A new BX-15 was included.

Sighting in at the range yesterday with SK Pistol Match and Eley Match ammo resulted in 3/4" vertical groups - still not good. I'll have it at the range again trying different ammo and giving the barrel time to "season" before final judgement

I sent mine in to Ruger for accuracy and fee problems.

Got it back with a new barrel and a comment that they experienced no jams.

Test target reflected a group size of 2" CTC with no explanation as to distance shot. A new BX-15 was included.

Sighting in at the range yesterday with SK Pistol Match and Eley Match ammo resulted in 3/4" vertical groups - still not good. I'll have it at the range again trying different ammo and giving the barrel time to "season" before final judgement
Didn't have a chance to contact Ruger today. My first day back to work after a week off... In your quick testing did you see the flyer issue you've experienced in the past; or has the new barrel fixed that issue?

Next time I get out I'm going to test to see if the flyer issue (after barrel is warmed up) is more of a feeding issue. . . or not. If not, then will have to see if it's barrel issue. . . ???

One thing for sure, is that it seems the first cold barrel shot(s) are significantly off for other's here just as it is for me.

Am I the only one to receive a single printed sheet that contradicts the manual's torque instructions for the action screws? The sheet was separate from the manual and looks to have been tossed into the box just before it was closed up. The sheet says 25 inch pounds of torque to the screws and warns not to go over 30 inch pounds. The manual on the other hand states 35 inch pounds. I believe that this lower torque settings may be causing some of my flyer issues.

Did it say what kind of ammo they used? Every barrel is different. Maybe they bedded yours differently to where 25 inch lbs is ideal. I never got a sheet like that in mine. I torqued mine to 34 in lbs. Mine seems to like cci sv and federal auto match.

Did it say what kind of ammo they used? Every barrel is different. Maybe they bedded yours differently to where 25 inch lbs is ideal. I never got a sheet like that in mine. I torqued mine to 34 in lbs. Mine seems to like cci sv and federal auto match.
No the sheet is a product warning, not tuning notes. Gave instructions on the order that the action screws should be tightened (back first, then the front) and maximum torque to use which was 10 inch pounds less than the manual's maximum.

flier problems too

I didn't get a response to my initial online form questions so called CS this morning. The nice lady told me that the 25 to 30 in/lbs was correct but couldn't answer my other questions so I asked if there was tech familiar with this gun I could talk to. All techs were busy so she said one of them would reply as soon as possible. Here is the tech's answer. Note: the 25 in/lbs is for early guns only....so the CS lady didn't have the correct answer.

Ross,

We received your inquiry. The 25 in/lbs. addendum was for an older revision Chassis where the greater torque would damage the bedding surface. If you did not have the addendum sheet in the box then you should have a new Chassis, where the 35 in/lbs. is correct. The front nose of the Trigger Housing is supposed to bottom out in the pocket of the Magazine Latch Assembly. If the issue persists we recommend you send the complete firearm in for evaluation. Please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued. Have your serial number handy when calling.

Thank you,

Ruger Customer Service

Last edited:
I didn't get a response to my initial online form questions so called CS this morning. The nice lady told me that the 25 to 30 in/lbs was correct but couldn't answer my other questions so I asked if there was tech familiar with this gun I could talk to. All techs were busy so she said one of them would reply as soon as possible. Here is the tech's answer. Note: the 25 in/lbs is for early guns only....so the CS lady didn't have the correct answer.

Ross,

We received your inquiry. The 25 in/lbs. addendum was for an older revision Chassis where the greater torque would damage the bedding surface. If you did not have the addendum sheet in the box then you should have a new Chassis, where the 35 in/lbs. is correct. The front nose of the Trigger Housing is supposed to bottom out in the pocket of the Magazine Latch Assembly. If the issue persists we recommend you send the complete firearm in for evaluation. Please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued. Have your serial number handy when calling.

Thank you,

Ruger Customer Service
Okay just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Service; the person I spoke to knew of the instruction manual addendum. He tells me that 25 inch pounds is correct and to continue to use that torque value. I asked about any newer chassis that would be using the stated 35 inch pound torque value and he is unaware of any newer chassis. Told him if that's the case I was very disappointed with the rifle's performance. Long story short a RMA has been issued. The rifle will be sent back to Ruger to be examined by their tech guys. So stay tuned; more insanity to follow I'm sure.

Second trip to the range to continue to shoot the RPRF with more time to devote. Groups tightened up somewhat but not as well as the old barrel would shoot (with the exception of the flyers). Put my silencer on and the bullets were impacting the silence!!!! :(

Called CS and rifle was picked up by UPS and is on its way back to Ruger for the second try to fix the gun.

SURE GLAD I HAVE PRE-ORDERED A GREEN MOUNTAIN BARREL AS I AM NOT AT ALL A HAPPY CAMPER WITH THIS RIFLE'S ACCURACY PROBLEMS.

As promised yesterday the saga continues... Just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Service. They finally did acknowledge the existence of a older revision of the Ruger Precision Rimfire chassis. It's hard to deny when Ruger sends me an email (Customer Service Issue #10088889) stating that if you got the addendum you have the older revision of the chassis. That older chassis cannot be torqued beyond 30 inch pounds without risking damage.
I suggested that rather than sending my rifle back to Ruger under the RMA that they just send me the updated chassis. Nope can't do that the Ruger techs must test the existing rifle then install the updated chassis and test that. Only then can they send the rifle back out. Seems a bit expensive to me but the nice Customer Service lady said that was their policy. She did say that she was noting on the RMA that I requested the chassis upgrade.

But as usual things didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped; they were not able to send me a shipping label via email because their system that does that sort of thing is experiencing problems. She did however promise that she would get me one as soon as possible.

As promised the story continues; I received my RPRim back yesterday. I was planning to go to the range today to test. But 11 MPH gusts and chances of rain have me postponing the range trip. I'm a bit disappointed in Ruger though; no documentation on what was done to the rife. I pretty sure that the chassis was changed out, none of my alignment marks are visable, and the chassis feels a bit different.

I also received a distorted copy of a target; may be a 5 shot group (or a 3 shot group with 2 keyholes) hitting in the second square down from the middle one square to the left of center. No mention of distance, or target's square size. Assuming that the distorted target's boxes are 1 inch squares the grouping edge to edge is about 3/4".

I'll report back after my range trip next week.

Reactions: Hardpan
And the saga continues; today's chapter "obtaining repair information".

Contacted Ruger; complemented them on the fast turnaround on the rifle. Followed up that statement with a question on what repair(s) had been done. Took them two days to send me an email copy of the repair notes. They replaced the barrel nut(?), chassis and handguard. Dumped 60 rounds in a function test; then shot a 3 round group at a 50 yard target. Now that I know what they did I know what to look out for. Next up the range test this weekend.

The story continues...

After several trips to the range and trying to find an ammunition that would group consistently I decided it was time to order the Green Mountain replacement barrel. I ordered it for three reasons; first I liked the longer profile (22" vs. 18") IMO it just looks better. Second the Green Mountain barrels are match chambered. Finally this is my third Green Mountain barrel and the previous two shoot great figured I couldn't go wrong.

Starting with the break-in period I could see a marked improvement in accuracy and shot consistently. I use CCI Standard Velocity ammunition for the break-in process and I was seeing groups between .6 and .8 at 50 yards and any flyers now are mostly ones that I cause because I'm hurrying my shots.

I sure as the barrel seasons the groups will tighten up even more.

Hey guys out of interest does anyone know what size the action screws are on the rpr? I just stripped my heads and before preforming surgery on my rifle id like to order some stronger ones. I am not in the US and sending it back is not an option :(