• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire scraping tip of bullet

Txsguy68

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2024
Beeville, Tx
Hi all,

Has anyone had this happen? Does anyone know how to fix this or does it need to be fixed? When feeding a round I noticed that the bullet tip is scraping the lower left edge of the chamber. Not by much as you can see by the pictures. The rifle seems to shoot pretty well at least out to 100 yards but I wonder how much better it would be without this happening.

Also, with the Arken SH4J and CCI Standard velocity I can’t get to a 50 yard zero. It’s more like 72 yards. Should I leave it that way or go to a 20 MOA rail?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG_6036.jpeg
IMG_6039.jpeg

Txsguy68

Why can’t you get a 50 yrs zero? Is the scope all the at the lowest the turrets will go? If so does that scope have zero stop? Adding a 20 moa mount will just make this worse.

Please make sure the zero stop is undone or reset to the lowest the scope will go, not sure what the steps are for that scope. Definitely do not put a 20 moa mount on that! Once you have reset the the zero stop, check your scope mounting to ensure it is set up correctly and try again, you should be able to zero at 50 yards.

Ok maybe I misunderstood you are you saying you put a 30 moa scope mount on the rifle, or is the 30 moa on the rail to which you mounted the scope?

The 30 moa rail came standard with the rifle. The scope rings are 0 moa.

I will read up on the scope and see how to release the zero stop and be sure I am at the max. I thought about it but didn’t try it!

Thank you!

On your bullet scraping, does it do this with all your magazines, or just this one? I doubt there is anything wrong on the rifles end, it is a magazine fitment issue. All Ruger mags are not created equal, you see this in 10rdr's, and the 15 & 25rdr's are not quite the same dimensions as the 10rd.
Try a couple 10rd mags, if possible, I've never been around the RPR version to know if possible.

Not a fair comparison, but with any 10/22 or variant, if you sort through mags, life at the range gets easier, in terms of feeding, accuracy, etc.... I used to sand on one side of mags to get them to feed correctly, works until that mag gets mixed in with another batch of mags, with the wife and kids, going to happen.
Today I just leave crappy mags on a bench at the range.

On your bullet scraping, does it do this with all your magazines, or just this one? I doubt there is anything wrong on the rifles end, it is a magazine fitment issue. All Ruger mags are not created equal, you see this in 10rdr's, and the 15 & 25rdr's are not quite the same dimensions as the 10rd.
Try a couple 10rd mags, if possible, I've never been around the RPR version to know if possible.

Not a fair comparison, but with any 10/22 or variant, if you sort through mags, life at the range gets easier, in terms of feeding, accuracy, etc.... I used to sand on one side of mags to get them to feed correctly, works until that mag gets mixed in with another batch of mags, with the wife and kids, going to happen.
Today I just leave crappy mags on a bench at the range.
That’s why you mark the good ones and segregate them😀

So I checked things out again last night. It is with all the mags. If I put a slight amount of forward pressure to the lower portion of the magazine it fixes the issue (changes the mag angle by a fraction). Going to try the Kidd magazine plunger with heavy spring to see if this will fix it. If not I will try shimming the mags and report back!

Thanks for the responses!

I received and installed the Kidd magazine plunger with heavier spring. It appears to have fixed the problem! I will still polish the magazine feed ramps and the bolt to clean things up. Thanks for the responses!

Reactions: Haney
Definitely a common issue with the ruger magazines in a number of different guns, including many of the 10/22 clones. From my experience the ruger precision has a lot of variability in quality control. I know one guy that has one that is a fully reliable hammer right out of the box. On the other hand several fellow shooters had issues, with trips back to the factory ( in one case more than once) without satisfactory resolution.