• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire Upgrade-Issue!

Vamike9

Patriot
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Virginia
    www.youtube.com
    I started my Ruger Precision rimfire upgrade, believe it or not, after I found a really accurate ammo for my factory bbl...

I decided that investing $400+ in a Lilja bbl was too much for this build.
    I went with the ER Shaw, and have some interesting findings to say the least.

The ER Shaw match 20in bbl looked great from the start!
    However, as many have stated, the bolt was extremely stiff.
    So I went to my local gunsmith to check headspace,and that's where I found out that the Go-gauge was a no go!
    The pre-fit bbl was not so much pre-fit.
    So he found out how much we were off, about .003, and he corrected it with a piece of shim stock in between the receiver and bbl.
    This made the bolt, extraction and overall function much safer and better.
    So if you go with a pre-fit bbl, PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK HEADSPACE!

This is not to say ER Shaw are to blame, this could be two different manufacturers with different tolerances?...

Hope that this will help someone in some way.
    Stay safe guys

Last edited:
    Reactions: spife7980
    Well that sucks. I wanted this barrel for my RPRr. Now maybe not so much. Seems whenever they’re mentioned people say they’re stiff to close the bolt.

Well that sucks. I wanted this barrel for my RPRr. Now maybe not so much. Seems whenever they’re mentioned people say they’re stiff to close the bolt.
    Yeah, it's probably not always a headspace issue, but something to look out for nonetheless.
    Really wasn't hard to fix, and it feels much better now when closing the bolt.

Have you shot any bulk ammo through it? Results compared to Factory barrel? Sometimes match ammo is hard to find in my area

Have you shot any bulk ammo through it? Results compared to Factory barrel? Sometimes match ammo is hard to find in my area
    I plan to test it once the weather improves in my area.
    I'll test several different brands, but most of the time cci std velocity is a good low cost ammo that groups well...
    Another is SK Plus, which is a little more expensive, but really good.

I had my Ruger with its 20” Shaw barrel out today. I just had a medical procedure last week, so had to shoot off a bench with bipod and rear bag. Using CCI standard I shot the following 10 shot groups at 50yds and 100yds. The two low hits at 100 were all me. This is just to provide additional data on the Shaw barrel, if you would like it removed just let me know.
    7C98C0E1-08D7-4E81-A58F-F356CE82594E.jpeg
    22239898-C0ED-4A9C-BA75-5D3B77FB0607.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Vamike9