• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire with a Lilja barrel.

simpletoms

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
While I don't regularly post to this site, I'm a long time member on Rimfire Central and have lurked for some time on Sniper's Hide. I've primarily visited the sight for the .22, scope and equipment section, but with the growth of .22 long range shooting, I have really been reading the rimfire section more than anything.

I'm not a competitor, but I did shoot CMP matches back in the late 80's and early 90's. Long range shooting is where it's at, but long ranges are difficult to find…. coupled that fact with the fact I have a 200 yard range, and I've found myself shooting pistol caliber carbines and .22 target rifles. .22 target rifles led me down the rabbit hole. I've owned several types of .22 rifles. Winchester 52's, Remington 40x, Sako Quad, Ruger 10/22's, BSA International, Russian Basic Biathlon with an Anschutz barrel and an Anschutz 1827 and 2007-2013. When the Ruger Rimfire Precision came out, I found it interesting enough to try. I had a Ruger American Rimfire that I'd set into a Boyd's walnut target stock and found it to be reasonably accurate, so I figured the Rimfire Precision would be worth a shot. With the factory barrel I had decent accuracy, but it was not sub MOA at 100 yards. Out of several attempts on the range, I had maybe one or two groups that were sub MOA. So once Lilja started producing RPR barrels, I jumped in with both feet.

Installation was straight forward, a good barrel vise is a necessity for installation. Once everything was together, I put on a favorite flashider for cool points and started shooting….. big groups. Blind to the fact it might be due to the flash hider, I tried all types of ammo. From SK std to Eley match. Nothing seemed to work. So, in an effort to determine why a $500 barrel shot like a scattergun, off came the FH, back on with the thread protector, and back to the range. With some good weather (overcast, 36-38 degrees, NO wind) I tried again. Nine groups with Eley practice 100 resulted in an average group size of .91" finally sub MOA!

Verdict? The jury is still out. If the rifle continues to perform as it does now, it's a keeper. If I continue to dial it in a bit (a better trigger would shave off .1 to .2) It'll start giving my Anschutz 1827 a run for it's money. Anyhow, For those of you who are on the fence about the Lilja barrel for your RPR, I'll try and keep this post updated with the performance of my RPR. Thanks for an interesting forum, keep it up!

Attachments

• 048AC50C-6A2E-4059-A6C8-653BEE11E354.jpeg
    048AC50C-6A2E-4059-A6C8-653BEE11E354.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 327
  • F0C0767E-0FD0-43AC-8BD7-69D3FD32F851.jpeg
    F0C0767E-0FD0-43AC-8BD7-69D3FD32F851.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 355
  • 6864BE3A-BFD0-46BB-857E-58BFBE9A5AF4.jpeg
    6864BE3A-BFD0-46BB-857E-58BFBE9A5AF4.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Update. Was able to shoot a bit more today. The Barrel is showing consistency. Has a slight wind left to right. With Eley P100 ($6 a box Eley) 10 groups today averaged 1.09”. The rifle is proving to be consistent. What I’ve learned so far is that it is not a good bench gun. With more than a little time behind some Winchester 52’s and an assortment of other single shot rifles, the RPR is not inherently stable on the bench. It is good from a tripod or most improvised positions. So I do believe it to be a good value (even before the Lilja) for a PRS trainer. Anyhow, more shooting to follow..... maybe next weekend.

Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• EC851B76-84B1-47A8-9778-98B6379B5B4E.jpeg
    EC851B76-84B1-47A8-9778-98B6379B5B4E.jpeg
    807.7 KB · Views: 172
  • F64423BD-28D6-4EAB-AF20-FB20B33053B7.jpeg
    F64423BD-28D6-4EAB-AF20-FB20B33053B7.jpeg
    852.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Reactions: Stickshift
Good shooting and thanks for the report on the Lilja barrel.

My boys barrel is still 4 weeks out (not a Lilja) and hope it holds 1/2” 5 shot groups at 50 with good ammo.

If you haven’t you might post some of this in the large RPR stickies thread at the top of the page.

On a side note. Have you seen any grooving on the bullets from feeding them in from the magazine?

Thanks for the posting! Will keep an eye on this to see how it does with other ammo as you test things out.
Would be interested in a RPR if a good barrel can get it to shoot small, consistent groups.

Thanks for the update. I am thinking of re barreling my RPR and this makes me think it would be worth the effort and money. I have gotten very inconsistent groups out of mine. It will shoot three shots under an inch and then a flier or another tight group of 2 or 3 shots a couple inches from the first nice group. I did notice my muzzle crown is terrible. It looks as if it was just deburred with a chamfering tool and has some chatter marks all the way around. I am going to have a true target crown cut on it and see if that helps.

It amazes me that knowing how crappy these rifles are that someone would buy one and almost immediately buy a $400 + barrel for it. That puts your cost around $800 for a POS like these rifles. I know because I have had three factory barrels on mine then added a Green Mountain barrel in an attempt to salvage my purchase price. Also added tape to the action in an attempt to get better bedding and a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scope and now Im at over $1100 and still a POS.

In the process of trying to get this gun to shoot I bought a Vudoo V-22 and its shooting in the .2's at 50 yards. THe V-22 is absoutely one of the finest shooting 22's I have ever had and I have a number of high cost/quality 22's.

Travelor, I bought the Ruger Rimfire Precision with the intent to experiment. I wanted to see what it would do with the factory barrel, and if it was capable of consistent 1" groups at 100 yards. I was also prepared to experiment if the factory barrel was found wanting. Part of the enjoyment is the experimentation. I for one, am pleased that Ruger continues to put new rifles on the market that are innovative and original. Much like the 10/22, I see the RPR creating a strong secondary market for accessories that allow the user to customize to their shooting preference. Unlike you, I'm into my RPR for about $850 with the Lilja barrel. If it continues to shoot as it's demonstrated, I would consider it a great value against the V-22. At three times the cost of my RPR with the Lilja barrel, The V-22 is approaching the lines of diminishing returns. My RPR has a demonstrated .37" group at 100 yards. Have you stretched your V-22 out to 100 yard? Because .2 at 50 yards doesn't mean .4 at 100 yards. In no way am I trying to demean the V-22. Hell, I want one! But it's more for the fact that the V-22 is a full size rifle that just happens to shoot a rimfire round. Not many .22's have the feel of a centerfire rifle and that is what makes the V-22 unique. I do hope you work out the kinks on your RPR and get to enjoy it half as much as your V-22.

Respectfully, Tom

Had some calm weather today, 33-34 degrees, light variable quartering wind (5-7 o’clock). The Eley P100 continues to show promise. As I said before; I think getting the trigger down to 12-16oz would bring the groups in at least a .1-.2 at 100. Today’s average (after fouling shots) for five groups, 1.05” all at 100.

Attachments

• C33872FE-155B-4BAA-B710-A2D2FA1C36CB.jpeg
    C33872FE-155B-4BAA-B710-A2D2FA1C36CB.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 135
Adam, consistent .6-.8 at 100 yards is impressive. Is that an indoor or outdoor range? What match ammo are you using?

Eley P100 is not match grade ammo. But I’ve found it to be very consistent for the price point. And it’s what I’m using through this phase of evaluation. If I have a rifle that likes the P100, I find a lot of Eley match ammo with a similar velocity. One for plinking one for high stakes competition, like battleship. So once I’ve satisfied my curiosity with P100, I’ll find Eley match ammo to go with it.

Attachments

• D5093707-BC37-4D2B-BCF4-8BC37D5AE339.jpeg
    D5093707-BC37-4D2B-BCF4-8BC37D5AE339.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 130
Sk can be some excellent ammo and windless days are something to be savored.

@simpletoms I was wondering if any new updates on your lilja barrel. I have a Tikka T1X, with match ammo I'm averaging .7" groups. With Eley Target, I'm getting about 1". Aesthetically though the lilja would look nicer, and I can get it shorter (16-18" vs my 20"), but wondering if it would be an improvement at all in precision..

Littlepod, most of the Lillja barrels I have seen shoot better than that. I think simpletoms is fighting with several things here that is affecting his accuracy. For one, as he said the RPR isn’t a very good bench gun. It’s just not that stable on a bench which makes it harder to dial in those tiny groups. He isn’t using a premium ammo. He is using a nice mid grade practice ammo but more than likely if he tested a few other ammos to see what his barrel really liked those groups would tighten up. Another issue I had with my Ruger is it had a tendency to mar some of the bullets as I loaded them which seemed to cause flyers. This may have just been me and he may have addressed that issue. I opted to just sell the rifle and buy my son a Tikka instead of tinkering with it. I have a couple friends with lillja barrels on CZ 455’s and they seem to shoot about the same as a Vudoo. The fact is the Tikka is already pretty darn accurate with ammo it likes so any improvement you get will more than likely be small. The one difference you may see however is it will probably be more consistent across different types of ammo.

Reactions: littlepod
@simpletoms I was wondering if any new updates on your lilja barrel. I have a Tikka T1X, with match ammo I'm averaging .7" groups. With Eley Target, I'm getting about 1". Aesthetically though the lilja would look nicer, and I can get it shorter (16-18" vs my 20"), but wondering if it would be an improvement at all in precision..

There was a guy shooting an RPR w/ a Lilja barrel that stated it was head and shoulders better, right out of the box so to speak, with the new Lilja. He also beat me by 10. ?

Reactions: littlepod
There was a guy shooting an RPR w/ a Lilja barrel that stated it was head and shoulders better, right out of the box so to speak, with the new Lilja. He also beat me by 10. ?

The guy who finished first at my match had a broken wrist, so he couldn't use his vudoo and beat us by 120 pts with his kidd supergrade in a boyd's stock. There's lots of room for improvement before the gun is going to matter in NRL22 :) I still do enjoy trying to get super tiny groups in a 6x5 though, there's something zenful about plopping out my prone mat and throwing 100 rounds down the range. If I could do it in my backyard, I'd probably be doing that everyday like KoD does.

My lilja on my CZ 457 is 0 .40" at 50 yds with 3 different ammos so far.

The Liljas are really good.

But Im still gettin' a V- 22. :) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
That would be cool. With the Vudoos large bolt handle it feels like a 95° bolt throw.

Didn't know it is a long throw. Is it at least smooth? Figger if I train on a 22rf long throw, and do that well, then my short throw "serious work" guns will be easy peasy.

Littlepod, most of the Lillja barrels I have seen shoot better than that. I think simpletoms is fighting with several things here that is affecting his accuracy. For one, as he said the RPR isn’t a very good bench gun. It’s just not that stable on a bench which makes it harder to dial in those tiny groups. He isn’t using a premium ammo. He is using a nice mid grade practice ammo but more than likely if he tested a few other ammos to see what his barrel really liked those groups would tighten up. Another issue I had with my Ruger is it had a tendency to mar some of the bullets as I loaded them which seemed to cause flyers. This may have just been me and he may have addressed that issue. I opted to just sell the rifle and buy my son a Tikka instead of tinkering with it. I have a couple friends with lillja barrels on CZ 455’s and they seem to shoot about the same as a Vudoo. The fact is the Tikka is already pretty darn accurate with ammo it likes so any improvement you get will more than likely be small. The one difference you may see however is it will probably be more consistent across different types of ammo.

Sorry guys, haven't been here in a while. Eoddave is on point. The only caveat I have it with ammo. I've shot just about everything through the lilja. Center-x, Eley Match, Eley Biathlon Match and about all the Sk grades. Bottom line it's about a 1" rifle at 100. The stock and the trigger need improvement to shoot from a bench. I've shot 1/2" groups with it but the average groups tend to hover around the 1-1.25". I the the lilja barrel is excellent, but between the stock, trigger and potential to mar the bullets ( I've seen some fliers) I don't see it ever settling down to what I get out of other rifles I own. With that, I own a Sako, a T1x, the RPR with the Lilja, a 40x an assortment of Winchester 52's, a couple Anschutzs, and a Vudoo. Here's what I've experienced. Note that I tend to shoot 6 groups of 5 with a rifle off the bench and always at 100 yards. When I don't shoot off the bench it's PRS style from 25-250 yards.

Vudoo - The is the cream of the crop. Primarily because of the 700 footprint. The Ridgeback stock is stable and the Vudoo is very consistent with a wide range of ammo. Much like Winchester 52's but with a much better bolt handle. The throw is a little long but it is my favorite rifle to shoot. Typically a sub inch rifle with Geco Rifle, I've gone 7-10 on a 12 inch plate at 300m with the Vudoo and Geco. Was working a crosswind too. That says a lot about the rifle.

Winchester 52's - Stable and consistent. With SK Std+ I can pull a rifle out and it'll shoot .75-.90 average for 6 groups. Only complaint about 52's are the smallish bolt handle.

40x - Stable and consistent sub 1" averages with SK Std+
Anschutz - 1827 (biathlon) can be a bit tough to shoot off the bench, and was picky when it came to ammo, but once I figured out what it liked it's a .75-.85" rifle.

Anschutz - 2013/2007 again took a bit to figure out the ammo, but this is a .65-.75" rifle.
Sako Quad - Really consistent with Sk std. Will typically average 1" or better for 6 groups. Can be trusted for point of aim and minimal fliers.

T1x - is starting to get in the zone. I have it set in a boyds At-One stock. I like the set up. It shot about a 1.1" average with Sk Biathlon Sport, and is more consistent than the RPR. The bolt handle is short but the throw is quick and slick, great trigger. The magazines aren't impressive and I think are the weak link.

Bottom line, you do get what you pay for. I think the RPR and T1x are great rifles for the money. I believe the T1x will be more consistent from rifle to rifle. The RPR is fantastic for a PRS trainer, but with the Boyd's stock, so is the T1x (but for more money).

If I could only have one on the list. Vudoo it is… (with 52's, the 40x and the Anschutz a close second!)

Sorry guys, haven't been here in a while. Eoddave is on point. The only caveat I have it with ammo. I've shot just about everything through the lilja. Center-x, Eley Match, Eley Biathlon Match and about all the Sk grades. Bottom line it's about a 1" rifle at 100. The stock and the trigger need improvement to shoot from a bench. I've shot 1/2" groups with it but the average groups tend to hover around the 1-1.25". I the the lilja barrel is excellent, but between the stock, trigger and potential to mar the bullets ( I've seen some fliers) I don't see it ever settling down to what I get out of other rifles I own. With that, I own a Sako, a T1x, the RPR with the Lilja, a 40x an assortment of Winchester 52's, a couple Anschutzs, and a Vudoo. Here's what I've experienced. Note that I tend to shoot 6 groups of 5 with a rifle off the bench and always at 100 yards. When I don't shoot off the bench it's PRS style from 25-250 yards.

Vudoo - The is the cream of the crop. Primarily because of the 700 footprint. The Ridgeback stock is stable and the Vudoo is very consistent with a wide range of ammo. Much like Winchester 52's but with a much better bolt handle. The throw is a little long but it is my favorite rifle to shoot. Typically a sub inch rifle with Geco Rifle, I've gone 7-10 on a 12 inch plate at 300m with the Vudoo and Geco. Was working a crosswind too. That says a lot about the rifle.

Winchester 52's - Stable and consistent. With SK Std+ I can pull a rifle out and it'll shoot .75-.90 average for 6 groups. Only complaint about 52's are the smallish bolt handle.

40x - Stable and consistent sub 1" averages with SK Std+
Anschutz - 1827 (biathlon) can be a bit tough to shoot off the bench, and was picky when it came to ammo, but once I figured out what it liked it's a .75-.85" rifle.

Anschutz - 2013/2007 again took a bit to figure out the ammo, but this is a .65-.75" rifle.
Sako Quad - Really consistent with Sk std. Will typically average 1" or better for 6 groups. Can be trusted for point of aim and minimal fliers.

T1x - is starting to get in the zone. I have it set in a boyds At-One stock. I like the set up. It shot about a 1.1" average with Sk Biathlon Sport, and is more consistent than the RPR. The bolt handle is short but the throw is quick and slick, great trigger. The magazines aren't impressive and I think are the weak link.

Bottom line, you do get what you pay for. I think the RPR and T1x are great rifles for the money. I believe the T1x will be more consistent from rifle to rifle. The RPR is fantastic for a PRS trainer, but with the Boyd's stock, so is the T1x (but for more money).

If I could only have one on the list. Vudoo it is… (with 52's, the 40x and the Anschutz a close second!)

Good info...
What are your thoughts on the triggers of these rifles. I'm mainly interested in rifles other than the Vudoo ( since you can put all sorts of R700 triggers for that)

Good info...
What are your thoughts on the triggers of these rifles. I'm mainly interested in rifles other than the Vudoo ( since you can put all sorts of R700 triggers for that)

Kevin, sorry for the delay in responding. Took a long vacation… Anyhow, triggers.

Anschutz. In a word, Awesome. They are true target triggers in the ounces and safe.

T1x - out of the box a really good trigger that can be adjusted down to just under two pounds. Breaks clean and crisp. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's smooth. Like polished smooth. Needs a little grip.

Ruger Precision - Not my favorite. It's adjustable but has more creep and is heavier.

52's - Generally all are good. The 52B and prior had triggers that only went down to about 2 pounds, but they are smooth, clean and crisp. The 52c trigger is very good and if you're lucky you can find one with a Karl Kenyon trigger that begins to approach the Anschutz triggers.

That's about all I know on the triggers.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Kevin1
Thanks for the reply. What's the trigger pull on the 52C? Is it a single stage trigger?

52C, yes single stage. I have three. One breaks at 2lbs, the other at 1.5 and the Karl Kenyon at 1. They are adjustable but I think the best you'll get out of a 52c is about 1.5 lbs.