• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger ranch rifle pmag conversion

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Greetings

Wasn't sure which section was appropriate for this but gunsmithing it is!

Anyways I've got a Ruger ranch rifle in 300blk that is older and uses the flush magazines.

I'm looking for a factory bottom metal conversion so I can run pmags in it. Does anyone know where i can get this? I just can't figure out the words to search to find it!

Thanks in advance
Jeremy

Magpul American uses aics mags and they won’t feed a 300 blk more than 50% of the time with aics mags and 0% with accurate mags. The feedlips all stop too early and let the round bounce up and around before it starts feeding into the chamber.

Magpul says they are working on a mag to make the American in 223 sized cases work but last I read on it was in April I think so I bet it died before arrival.

That said, I believe the bolt is relieved somewhat in the factory pmag model unlike the bolt for the flush mag type such as yours and my own. I think mdt is trying to make a chassis to accommodate the pmag but not our normal flush mag blackouts.

MDT is offering a version of their LSS XL Gen 2 chassis for the Ruger American that takes AR15 magazines.

I believe it will solve your problem, but I'll bet @MDT_Josh can clarify that for certain.

Pic of the chassis from MDT's Instagram:

Afterthought: this thing is cool enough to have me wanting an American Predator in 6.5 Grendel, just so that I have an excuse to buy the chassis.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDT_Josh
You are correct @Tx_Aggie that our LSS-XL Gen2 for the Ruger American has the option to run AICS or AR15 magazines, depending on what you order. We have tested the chassis with .204, 223, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout (all from AR magazines) and they appear to feed/function just fine (mostly)! If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me anytime.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Magpul American uses aics mags and they won’t feed a 300 blk more than 50% of the time with aics mags and 0% with accurate mags. The feedlips all stop too early and let the round bounce up and around before it starts feeding into the chamber.

Magpul says they are working on a mag to make the American in 223 sized cases work but last I read on it was in April I think so I bet it died before arrival.

That said, I believe the bolt is relieved somewhat in the factory pmag model unlike the bolt for the flush mag type such as yours and my own. I think mdt is trying to make a chassis to accommodate the pmag but not our normal flush mag blackouts.
Good to know, thanks!

I HOPE I'm wrong here...BUT-

I have the NEWER Ruger American Ranch Rifle that takes AR mags BY DESIGN, and I know the new MDT chassis will fit this one (mine is the Ruger # 26968).

I was under the impression (and still am-but this is what I hope can be clarified for the OP) that the OLDER model (Ruger # 6968) takes a wider rotary magazine and doesn't have a reliable chassis built around it that will adapt to AR mags(?) A slight possibility is the Boyds traditional type stock and bottom metal.

There are some threads over on .300 BLK Talk (like THIS ) about this (I am "Sheepdogleader over there).

I HOPE this is not the case but I think it is and don't want the OP to waste time and money and getting hopes up (if NOT the case).

As David NC said the two different ranch rifles have different reciver specs and also the bolt.
The rotery mag 5.56 ranch is not opened wide enough for an ar mag to get close enough the bolt to pick up a round. I had the first 5.56 ranch and looked into the same thing you are. I got the second generation ranch and compared the two. The reciver has a much wider cut on the bottom and the bolt is also relieved so it can rotate and not hit the mag.

You are limited to a aics mag with the first gen
But ruger did make one with 223 inserts in it.

I can almost guarantee the mdt lss will require the rifle that used ar mags factory for proper clearance.

As David NC said the two different ranch rifles have different reciver specs and also the bolt.
The rotery mag 5.56 ranch is not opened wide enough for an ar mag to get close enough the bolt to pick up a round. I had the first 5.56 ranch and looked into the same thing you are. I got the second generation ranch and compared the two. The reciver has a much wider cut on the bottom and the bolt is also relieved so it can rotate and not hit the mag.

You are limited to a aics mag with the first gen
But ruger did make one with 223 inserts in it.

I can almost guarantee the mdt lss will require the rifle that used ar mags factory for proper clearance.
Could you take pics of the two side by side so we can exactly how much difference there is visually?

Nope. The 1st Gen is sold.
Take my word for it tho. It's a very big difference.

I can post pics of the 2nd Gen ranch with a scale in the picture if that helps.

Reactions: spife7980
Nope. The 1st Gen is sold.
Take my word for it tho. It's a very big difference.

I can post pics of the 2nd Gen ranch with a scale in the picture if that helps.
Its alright, no problem, Ive seen some pics of each interdependently so I know whats what but never with one right next to the other for easy comparison. Was just hoping to luck into such a thing to provide it for the future when this pops up again.