• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger RPR 300wm

HAZWASTE

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2020
Miami
Hello everyone,

I recently changed mounts on my ruger rpr 300wm, I went from a leupold mount to vortex rings Xtra high. My scope is a vortex razor gen 2, 4.5x27 MOA. I had it sighted at one point but its been over a year and quite honestly I'm not sure I recall all the specifics. (IT'S BEEN A ROUGH YEAR). I believe it was 17 moa elevation from the bottom.. What ammo should I use to sight her in, regular hunting ammo or match grade? What distance 100 yards? I don't believe the 300wm drops little if any at 100 yards but I am concerned with rise in the trajectory right after existing the barrel.

Thanks

Reactions: Deets
The standard line of thinking is always zero at 100 yards. The bullet will not be "rising" above the LOS.

IF sighting it in for hunting, use the hunting ammo.

If sighting in for groups, use the match ammo.

There will always be minor variations in impact when you change ammunition.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, I will sight her in with match grade ammo. Sadly I haven't found much on using the 300wm for long range, these ruger 300wm are often overlooked, wish there was more info out there regarding the ruger in 300wm.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, I will sight her in with match grade ammo. Sadly I haven't found much on using the 300wm for long range, these ruger 300wm are often overlooked, wish there was more info out there regarding the ruger in 300wm.
As for 300 win mag in general, there is currently a thread discussing it versus the 300 PRC and there is a caliber comparison thread also. For hunting, it'll do anything and everything you want it to do @ longer ranger. Just buy or load quality ammo and practice shooting it.

Hello everyone,

I recently changed mounts on my ruger rpr 300wm, I went from a leupold mount to vortex rings Xtra high. My scope is a vortex razor gen 2, 4.5x27 MOA. I had it sighted at one point but its been over a year and quite honestly I'm not sure I recall all the specifics. (IT'S BEEN A ROUGH YEAR). I believe it was 17 moa elevation from the bottom.. What ammo should I use to sight her in, regular hunting ammo or match grade? What distance 100 yards? I don't believe the 300wm drops little if any at 100 yards but I am concerned with rise in the trajectory right after existing the barrel.

Thanks
I just purchased an RPR in 300 win mag, razor, and mount all from the trading post.
As I’m just getting into precision shooting, I too will be doing some reading on this setup.