• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger RPR 338L help

MARPAT

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2021
California
Need some advice.

Finally putting together my rpr .338L and been doing my research for extreme long range precision shooting.

I selected a trijicon tenmile 5-50x56 but undecided if I wanted to swap out the factory 30moa scope base to a 60moa.

I still haven't bought my rings but then I thought should I get high rings? I wanted the trijicon standard height rings that measure 1.259"

I know that there are 100moa vertical adjustment in the optic which means 50 up and 50 down.

If I want to shoot past a mile should I get the 60 moa scope base, or am i fine with the factory 30moa? I understand my zero would probably have to be set at 200 yards

How far are you planning on shooting? I stretch my 338-LM easily to 2,000 yards with a 20-MOA rail, a 20-MOA ring set, and a Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35 ... with room to spare on the turret. Define "ELR" ... more specifically than "past a mile".

Reactions: MARPAT
2000 yards+ would satisfy my appetite lol.

Can't find any info on how much moa those trijicon rings are but I'm guessing 1.259" with 34mm diameter sets me at 20moa

If you've got a 20-rail and 20-rings ... and a quality scope ... then switching either out to 40-MOA is "nice", but probably not necessary. Unless you're using a pretty light load or a high-drag bullet. Just my opinion though ... and "free" advice is worth what you paid for it. You should run the numbers on the drop using your estimated velocity, proposed bullet BC, and load data to validate you're good for the distance you're going to shoot. There are a bunch of online calculators to figure all that out. The JBM site has several.

Reactions: MARPAT
If you've got a 20-rail and 20-rings ... and a quality scope ... then switching either out to 40-MOA is "nice", but probably not necessary. Unless you're using a pretty light load or a high-drag bullet. Just my opinion though ... and "free" advice is worth what you paid for it. You should run the numbers on the drop using your estimated velocity, proposed bullet BC, and load data to validate you're good for the distance you're going to shoot. There are a bunch of online calculators to figure all that out. The JBM site has several.

I Appreciate the advice gunnery sergeant

Here's my RPR almost complete

Attachments

• 20220612_182911.jpg
    20220612_182911.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: Bandit320