• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger RPR 5.56 Mags

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
So I picked one of these up the other day for $789 delivered. I thought this was a smoking deal and considering they have been discontinued, I figured if I wanted one I had better jump on it now before they are gone completely. I have read most of the 50+ pages of the RPR thread here but frankly, not much of it applies to the 5.56. Perhaps most doesnt need to because of cross compatibility. Understandably most are either 6.5, .308 or now 6mm. Doesnt seem many folks opted for the 5.56 and I guess thats why they discontinued them. Obviously the gun is Gen 2 since it was dropped before the gen 3 release. My question is about magazines. It did come with 2 factory Ruger mags. I am confused as to other compatibility. The owners manual that came with the gun is silent on the factory mags but suggests the use of PMAGS and AICS SA mags, even including pictures of them. How can a .308 case mag hold and feed 5.56 cases?? The RPR lower seems about the right size for a PMAG but.... Aside from factory Ruger, do any other mags work with the RPR 5.56??

Pic

Attachments

• D6CBF858-F970-4078-B315-90377AD0FC3B.jpeg
    D6CBF858-F970-4078-B315-90377AD0FC3B.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 33
The manual is incorrect, it looks like Ruger neglected to update it to include the 5.56 version. 308 mags, PMag or AICS, won't work for 223 cases.

Ruger's AICS style 5.56/223 mags are excellent and should remain in production for a while as they are also used in the 223 Gunsight Scout Rifle. They are one of the best priced 223 AICS style mags on the market right now (the other being the MDT) and like the others will allow you to load quite a bit longer than AR15 magazine length, allowing you to shoot really heavy for caliber 223 bullets like the 88gr ELD.

I don't know if other brands of 223 AI pattern mags (MDT, Accurate Mag, etc) will work in the 5.56 RPR (probably so), but if it were me I would just buy a few more Ruger mags and call it good.

Reactions: 03psd