• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger RPR--live with or upgrade

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
I have a Ruger RPR 22 (not sure what the official title is) that I've used for 22 shooting. Its been okay, wandering zeros (probably that cheap scope) but as I grow, am I going to hit a ceiling with upgrades? One of my complains as a BigBoi(TM) is that 22s seem to all have children's dimesnions and I like a high cheek riser and fairly long LOP (My center fire rifles all are maxed out LOP--even in winter with heavy clothersr).

What are my upgrade paths and what am I getting on investment? I'mnever gonna be a national champ, but I do like to push myself to get more and more accurate and gun comfort/setup/trigger is a big thing for me.

^^^^^ totally agree. Replace the scope if you believe it may have issues. You can always use that upgraded optic on a new rifle if you decide to make a change.

Reactions: Cowpokey
You can spend a lot of money upgrading a budget rifle. Some of it will help a lot, but in the end it will always be a budget rifle. Just like folks that put Vudoo money in to a CZ to get it "on par" with a Vudoo...but it's still a CZ. The worst part about spending a bunch of money upgrading, is when you've run out of things to upgrade, and it's still not performing to your satisfaction...then you look back at all the time/money wasted that could have been put in to a better rifle.

I like Ruger, have lots of them, but they are still Rugers...and they will never be "on par" with my Vudoo or Anschutz rifles.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Ok so is there like a tier list? I know Ruger tends to be towards the bottom, but it serves it purpose. I dunno if I wanna go Rimx/Voodoo yet. What I'd really like is something that "feels" like a full size rifle. Kinda like a trainer. Now I don't like my rifles super heavy (weighting a 22 when i feel 17lbs on a full size is beefy) --but I know I like a good LOP, the ability to use Rem style triggers (or similar to what we use on Centerfire rifles)--something as close to a full PRS style rifle

Diregard the post above you..... He's always posting about how nothing can compare to a Vudoo....... He's mistaken.

Do your research, find something that is interchangeable with options you like. Maybe matching your centerfire components etc., Like the stock or chassis. That way you'll be comfortable and get the right fit.

Get a great barrel, ammo, then a trigger. Spend what you feel comfortable spending. I researched for over a year. Read and ask questions. Then narrow down your selection.

Work on your fundamental skills those are equally important as your rifle, if not more so.

Ok so is there like a tier list? I know Ruger tends to be towards the bottom, but it serves it purpose. I dunno if I wanna go Rimx/Voodoo yet. What I'd really like is something that "feels" like a full size rifle. Kinda like a trainer. Now I don't like my rifles super heavy (weighting a 22 when i feel 17lbs on a full size is beefy) --but I know I like a good LOP, the ability to use Rem style triggers (or similar to what we use on Centerfire rifles)--something as close to a full PRS style rifle
Bergara B14R, is probably the best bang for the buck....but it may leave you wanting somthing better.
Diregard the post above you..... He's always posting about how nothing can compare to a Vudoo....... He's mistaken.
You got jokes. Or, your a poor wishing you had a Vudoo. Don't hold back so much, you're probably a CZ fan boi

Bergara B14R, is probably the best bang for the buck....but it may leave you wanting somthing better.

You got jokes. Or, your a poor wishing you had a Vudoo. Don't hold back so much, you're probably a CZ fan boi
You are a complete dick. I didn't mention CZ at all. Where did you answer the op's question other than brag about your Vudoo?

I've had several, went from them to CZ. Showed you a video of another shooter who did the same.

I'm a poor? You don't have a clue. Do you stroke yourself while polishing your Vudoo, or just try to insert yourself into every rimfire thread that you own one?. No one cares.

How many do you have? I still have one along with 3 higher end CZ's.

The Bergara is probably the best fit for the op, based on what he posted. Many non Vudoo shooters here, aren't wishing they had one either. They are notorious for feeding issues.

Post up all your rimfires and rifles and let's see who is the poor, deal?

Grow up.

J-D ignore is your friend.
This guy came to a CZ forum to brag about how much better Vudoos are when no one asked and he was told to get lost.

I have never used ignore because I'd like to think everyone brings some value to the forum in some way.....but you are right.

I'll set that up and leave it be. Thanks!

You are a complete dick.

Yep. I am...I make every attempt at steering people away from poor choices.
feeding issues.

If you don't know how to load a mag...I guess that can be a problem...lick another window.
Good grief, are you that desperate? I'll play for a bit ATF.
Anschutz.jpg

XXII-7.jpg

Old picture
Vudoo360.jpg

This guy came to a CZ forum to brag about how much better Vudoos are when no one asked and he was told to get lost.

I have never used ignore because I'd like to think everyone brings some value to the forum in some way.....but you are right.

I'll set that up and leave it be. Thanks!
Incorrect. I have never been a part of any CZ forum. I have commented in a few CZ threads on forums. Get your stuff straight.

Grow up.
Waiting for you to post up the one's you're proud of...it's been almost an hour (50 minutes), surely you have pictures by now?

I see you're still online @J_D, did I win already? I have a vault full of other rifles...But I don't like to brag. Hehe

You can change the throw of the bolt on the ruger to make it feel like a regular action.
What ammo are you using? My son has a rpr and can literally take the thumb tacks off the target at 100 yards with agila coppers. I teach shooting sports to kids, and a lefty 10 year old girl with a rpr outshot the unified police watch commander a year and a half ago that I had come talk with the kids. He was a good sport, and asked if I could have some of the kids come teach his next class on accuracy.
I'd say swap out, and/or properly mount your scope and retest with different ammo.
Sounds harsh, but I'd bet that little ruger has more yet to give. If not, how much ya want for it? I know some kids parents always looking for a deal.

The CZ Sub-forum from Rimfire Central, is a forum......I know how to load mags.....they are just unreliable as a system. That 's been very well documented, yes, you can use velcro or tape, and all kinds of others "fixes".

Do you really want to go there?
I go there. That's what I DO. Never used velcro to seat a mag in anything. Don't be a hater, just because you half assed it.

I go there. That's what I DO. Never used velcro to seat a mag in anything. Don't be a hater, just because you half assed it.
I'm not a hater, I just don't like ignorant people like you who contribute nothing to various forums.

I see you're still online @J_D, did I win already? I have a vault full of other rifles...But I don't like to brag. Hehe
You're actually on ignore, and I have to click ignored content to see your drivel. Those aren't my only rifles either, but you called me out to see them. I'm just a poor CZ owner who can't afford the Vudoo.......right, isn't that what you said?

• Haha
You're actually on ignore, and I have to click ignored content to see your drivel. Those aren't my only rifles either, but you called me out to see them. I'm just a poor CZ owner who can't afford the Vudoo.......right, isn't that what you said?
What exactly have you contributed? Be specific. You don't like what I post because it hits you in the feels, and you know I'm correct.

I have a Ruger RPR 22 (not sure what the official title is) that I've used for 22 shooting. Its been okay, wandering zeros (probably that cheap scope) but as I grow, am I going to hit a ceiling with upgrades? One of my complains as a BigBoi(TM) is that 22s seem to all have children's dimesnions and I like a high cheek riser and fairly long LOP (My center fire rifles all are maxed out LOP--even in winter with heavy clothersr).

What are my upgrade paths and what am I getting on investment? I'mnever gonna be a national champ, but I do like to push myself to get more and more accurate and gun comfort/setup/trigger is a big thing for me.
How much is it going to cost to upgrade your Ruger vs How much will a new gun cost? Would it be better to sell the Ruger and get another gun? Will I want to update the new gun? These are a few questions to ask yourself before going ahead. All of the 22 lr stuff can be a hugh rabbit hole of money. I don't know what it takes to upgrade your Ruger.

If you want go with a new gun, a CZ or Tikka T1X are good ones. you may want a Chassis for some models , to have a cheek riser and LOP.
The Bergara B14R come with both. The only thing I did to mine, was a Trigger Tech Diamond in both of my B14R's. Then you can go with full customs like Rimx/Vudoo. The Vudoo I like is $3550.00, I can't justify that must money, when my Bergara's will run with them in matches.

Good luck on the 22 LR bunny trail.

Reactions: usafa77
You can change the throw of the bolt on the ruger to make it feel like a regular action.
What ammo are you using? My son has a rpr and can literally take the thumb tacks off the target at 100 yards with agila coppers. I teach shooting sports to kids, and a lefty 10 year old girl with a rpr outshot the unified police watch commander a year and a half ago that I had come talk with the kids. He was a good sport, and asked if I could have some of the kids come teach his next class on accuracy.
I'd say swap out, and/or properly mount your scope and retest with different ammo.
Sounds harsh, but I'd bet that little ruger has more yet to give. If not, how much ya want for it? I know some kids parents always looking for a deal.
Preciate it. I've been pushing myself with shooting "quarters" at 50 yards (Draw some 1/2 circles and practice hitting each one) and been trying to narrow down ammo/scope/gun. So I know its capable.--more about finding a heavier feeling gun. Just seem to not be able to hold zero between sessions and randomly do a swing now and then (suggests scope issue). With the ammo shortage lifting, I go to be able to dump the Rem crap ammo and try some "good" stuff. I have a spare good scope to drop off the el-cheapo (not normally one to have scope issues-but never say never).

I will try the bolt throw change--I'd forgotton about that.

Its kinda like a savage--less refined, but capable. Maybe I'll give him a reprieve.

Never try to make a gun something it was never intended to be! .Enjoy the Ruger as is. Put your money in another Gun,

Reactions: RTH1800
I like Ruger, have lots of them, but they are still Rugers...and they will never be "on par" with my Vudoo or Anschutz rifles.
Once upon a time, owned a really nice 9” barreled single six. With The Best Trigger Job ever done on a single action revolver, and custom sights and custom grips, I was in my Lgs and we were discussing that particular revolver. A gentleman asked how it shot. I said, it shoots pretty good for a Ruger. (I have lots of them too, never met one that was bad). The gentleman who asked the question got all besides himself and was quite agitated, obviously being a lover of all things Ruger. The counter man gently explained to him that the comparison was being made to a line bored, $2000.00 Freedom Arms Model 83 Small Bore revolver which should be (along with its big bore brothers) the most accurate factory produced revolvers ever made.

Not sure if I want to purchase an RRPR, was going to get a Curtis Conversion, but Brenda Lea shot the Curtis actioned MPA so well in 6.5 CM and I have a 6GT on the way, am thinking of leaving it alone and trying to get her interested in long range. (She’s a handgun shooter and darned good)

Once upon a time, owned a really nice 9” barreled single six. With The Best Trigger Job ever done on a single action revolver, and custom sights and custom grips, I was in my Lgs and we were discussing that particular revolver. A gentleman asked how it shot. I said, it shoots pretty good for a Ruger. (I have lots of them too, never met one that was bad). The gentleman who asked the question got all besides himself and was quite agitated, obviously being a lover of all things Ruger. The counter man gently explained to him that the comparison was being made to a line bored, $2000.00 Freedom Arms Model 83 Small Bore revolver which should be (along with its big bore brothers) the most accurate factory produced revolvers ever made.

Not sure if I want to purchase an RRPR, was going to get a Curtis Conversion, but Brenda Lea shot the Curtis actioned MPA so well in 6.5 CM and I have a 6GT on the way, am thinking of leaving it alone and trying to get her interested in long range. (She’s a handgun shooter and darned good)
To be fair, my comment was more aimed at Ruger rimfire rifles. My Ruger 10/22T (20" stainless bull barrel) has better accuracy than my Ruger American Target (18" stainless BB). I have a couple New Vaqueros in .357/.38, they are excellent. (y)

What exactly have you contributed? Be specific. You don't like what I post because it hits you in the feels, and you know I'm correct.
You have never been correct. Nothing you do impacts me. I removed my earlier posts as to not further embarrass you...... And yet you still want to antagonize things?

You are a child mentally, and I'll leave it at that.

• Haha
OP,
Not sure exactly what you are looking for. The major modern choices are listed above. Depending on your use you could also consider Rem 40x Rem 37, Rem 541, Winchester 52, Winchester 75 and the various Anchutz models.
Some listed are old or very old but can still be found. Good luck!

You have never been correct. Nothing you do impacts me. I removed my earlier posts as to not further embarrass you...... And yet you still want to antagonize things?

You are a child mentally, and I'll leave it at that.
Embarrass me how? Nothing I posted in this thread is inaccurate.

Name calling, again? Which of us has a child mentality?

That's why I quoted what you posted, you can't delete that. Nice attempt at back pedaling though. :ROFLMAO:

I don’t own a Vudoo. I own a Kidd supergrade. Texas Precision matches started a 22 match a few years ago. When it started, it was ‘squirrel rifles,’ a couple of 10/22s, and a few CZ rifles. Then a few RPRRs showed up. With my Kidd and CenterX ammo, I shot high score in 3 straight matches against that competition. It wasn’t close. But, when the vudoos showed up n force, everyone else was left scrambling for “also ran.” If you really want to be competitive, but the Vudoo.

That’s as a non-Vudoo owner.

I have owned 3 Vudoo’s. All sent to Eley for accuracy testing and ammo selection. Wonderful rifles. My win 52 outshot them all and I sold them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
22’s are 22’s all over, for a long time, people in IHMSA shot Rutgers, S&W’s, Colt’s and had a blast, The little Ruger I owned shot a 39x40 in the hands of its former owner. Then, the Freedom Arms came along, with their line bored cylinders and quality control that exceeded anything in the industry at the time and bolt action accuracy capability….and everyone else with anything else was an also ran.

I’ve owned a Savage, several Anschutz and of course the custom Ruger Single Six Revolver. Shot occasional 40x40’s with all but the revolver. None were perfect, none were terrible.

Point. If an RRPR is what is available and what a fellow can afford (and they are quite inexpensive) get it. Shoot it and have fun. Don’t let the fact that there are better available at cost stop you from going out and giving it a try. Upgrades? Sometimes, the real fun is taking something rough and seeing how far you can take it to make it good. Will it be as good as something that cost three, four, five times the initial cost. Probably not. But, as much as I hate to say it,

Often traveling the road to get there is the real fun of the trip.

If you know that you will always be shooting rifle in some form or another upgrade the glass first, until it hurts. Glass is an investment that can be shifted to most any discipline in the future.
Maybe get an inexpensive bore scope and verify there's no carbon ring in the throat.
Try multiple types of higher-end ammo. After all this if the performance is still lacking upgrade the rifle (and I don't mean add better parts to the RPR).

It has never made sense to me to drop lots of money into a budget gun to make it better. In the long run you are better off just buy a better rifle to start with. I understand some people like to tinker and by all means enjoy that if you are into it.
for me, buying a 400 dollar rifle then sinking 500 bucks into it, with the associated frustrations and fussing around is not worth it. Buying the 900 dollar rifle out of the gate is the more sensible option.

a few years ago I bought a very low end budget rifle to try nrl22 as I wasn’t sure I would get into that style of shooting. Only took a couple years to realize I did like it and then sprang for a much more expensive rifle.
depending on your lifestyle/ budget, sometimes budget rifles can be fun, but for the most part there is just no making a silk purse out of a sows ear.

IMHO, if you have the $ to upgrade the RPRR, SELL IT and buy a CZ. It'll be a nicer platform that can grow with your needs. If you have more money/wants/needs, upgrade to the Bergara. It offers ALOT for the money.

Also, listen to @accurate obsession and get good glass. Try multiple types/lots of ammo. Ammo selections will potentially make a huge difference.

I'd skip the upgrades on the RPR, sell it and buy something that will upgrade better. CZ, Tikka, Bergara.
OR if you can justify a Vudoo or RimX do that.

Sell and get a Bergara

Reactions: J_D and Taylorbok