• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger RPR vs Hawkeye Long Range Target (6.5PRC)

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
I asked for opinions on budget 6.5 Creedmoor rifle choices yesterday and it was suggested that I take a look at the Ruger RPR in 6.5PRC. So after reading up on the 6.5PRC, I think I "might" be interested in going that direction. Here's the thing though; I'm not really a chassis guy. My Remington .300WM sits in a XLR Element and I've found I'm not really a fan. I prefer a more traditional stock with adjustable comb and LOP. After searching what is on the market in 6.5PRC, I found the Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target. The M77 receiver gets a lot of trash talk but, the guys that are shooting this thing are turning in some amazing groups for a factory rifle.

Just to be clear, I understand that the RPR is not technically a "chassis" gun but, a purpose built, modular style rifle. It's possible I could like it (after I threw the buttstock in the trash). I'm curious how you guys would compare the two in terms of suitability for non-competition, long range shooting.

Bob

I dumped my RPR and went LRT. Good move.......

But if I had it to do over, I'da got the longrange hunter to save weight and bulk. If a fella don't have to hump it hunting the LRT wins.

Anything built on the m77 action is trash.
If you aren't in a hurry, wait till the beginning of the year Ang get a Howa long range. If you can't wait, buy a bergara.
I have found the RPR to be well made and incredibly accurate. It is heavy, even the 20 inch .308 is a portly bitch, but dammit it shoots incredibly well and I'm not a ruger fan.

• Haha
Reactions: jbuck88
First let me say that I’m not a fan of Ruger centerfire rifles. Most of my centerfire guns are Remington 700 or 700 clones.
I have had several Ruger 77’s over the years and sold most of them because I didn’t like how they shot.
I bought a M77 .220 swift heavy barrel Varmint rifle in 1991 and it outshoots anything I own so I kept it.
A few years ago I bought a RPR 6.5CM and it actually shoots pretty well. Since then I’ve bought a couple custom 6.5cm Defiance actions / bartlein barrels that shoot super well of course.
Last month a buddy of mine bought a Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target 6.5 PRC and with factory ammo he and I both were shooting 1.5” groups or sligh less at 300 yards with that rifle !!
I simply couldn’t believe the accuracy of that Ruger!
So I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5 PRC myself, honestly expecting it to shoot much less accurate than my buddy’s because I thought his was a fluke.....
Well turns out my new one shoots every bit as well as his!
So far I’ve only shot 2 Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target 6.5 PRC’s, but both of them are better than 1/2 MOA rifles with factory ammo at 300 yards. Hard to believe, I know, but it’s true. And I found mine on sale for $814!!
So far I’m super happy with it!

Here is a 1” three shot group at 300 yards with a Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target 6.5 PRC.
We’ve shot several 1.5” , 5 shot groups with this gun using factory Hornady 140 ELD- Match

Attachments

• 73256761-CA5B-4374-91A4-A69330C639E9.jpeg
    73256761-CA5B-4374-91A4-A69330C639E9.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 164
  • A75A69AB-3980-4011-A13D-A77DA865684C.jpeg
    A75A69AB-3980-4011-A13D-A77DA865684C.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 167
  • AC476FD5-E6F0-4A5A-88B0-363637703660.jpeg
    AC476FD5-E6F0-4A5A-88B0-363637703660.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 239
I have absolutely no experience with Ruger rifles in any form. I don't know the history of the M77 but, I've read enough to know that historically, it was not on par with other rifles on the market. I have noticed that Ruger markets the Hawkeye line of rifles as M77 markII's. It could be just marketing hype except, they seem to be shooting much better than people give them credit for.

The two biggest complaints I see about the Ruger LRT are that the stock is wood and the bolt runs rough in the receiver until it has some miles on it. Beyond that, they seem to be very reliable and freakishly accurate. The biggest reservation I have is the lack of aftermarket support. It seems the wood stock does a pretty good job but, no one can deny that wood can be influenced by environmental factors. If I wanted to replace the stock at some point, my options would be very limited. Beyond that, for the money, it seems untouchable.

Still on the fence though!

Bob

Reactions: MarkBlue and 10xk9
I have absolutely no experience with Ruger rifles in any form. I don't know the history of the M77 but, I've read enough to know that historically, it was not on par with other rifles on the market. I have noticed that Ruger markets the Hawkeye line of rifles as M77 markII's. It could be just marketing hype except, they seem to be shooting much better than people give them credit for.

The two biggest complaints I see about the Ruger LRT are that the stock is wood and the bolt runs rough in the receiver until it has some miles on it. Beyond that, they seem to be very reliable and freakishly accurate. The biggest reservation I have is the lack of aftermarket support. It seems the wood stock does a pretty good job but, no one can deny that wood can be influenced by environmental factors. If I wanted to replace the stock at some point, my options would be very limited. Beyond that, for the money, it seems untouchable.

Still on the fence though!

Bob
You’re thoughts are exactly what mine are about the stock. It’s a laminated stock which is a little less susceptible to environmental effects, but obviously still not immune to them.
I’m hoping that as the popularity increases in the Long Range Target model due to its excellent accuracy, their will be a few stock manufacturers that build something for it.
Either way I’m very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle . It’s absolutely on par with most of my custom rifles that cost 5-6 times as much .

The Ruger Precision rifle is an amazing rifle for the money. I have had 308, 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC. All are extremely accurate out of the box. I have added LRI barrels and did not see a noticeable difference, so the Ruger barrel seems to be just fine for me. There are 2 issues I have with the rifle, the bolt doesn't glide like a custom action and the stock is terrible. I can live with the bolt's action since the street price of the entire rifle is less than a custom action. The stock on the other hand gets replaced as soon as the box is opened. The Magpul PRS stock makes the rifle feel more like a stock setup and adds stability along with adjustable LOP and cheek piece. I have not shot the LRT, but it has the same cheesy little cheek piece as the RPR and it would have to go before I could use it. As an additional side benefit, if you get a 6.5 PRC you will get 2 AI style mags that I think are a great improvement over the Magpus in the 6.5 CM.

Reactions: Ranger Bob
This is blatantly wrong. You can criticize the M77– or the Hawkeye, as the latest version has been called for many years—- for any number of things, but to make an assertion like that is ridiculous.
Whatever.
You have a less than 50/50 chance of getting one that shoots good, then you have barely over zero chance of finding someone to fix it.

Reactions: 6brshooter
I know this is difficult... please show us on the doll where the bad Ruger touched you.
If you want to buy their shitty lost wax investment cast receivers, knock yourself out.
They have a long, proud history of being pieces of shit.

From an article:
It was within recent memory, at least at the time, that Bill Ruger, Sr told America, “No honest man needs more than ten rounds in a magazine.” Indeed, some of the first proposals for magazine capacity limits came from Mr. Ruger himself, and in 1989 the company voluntarily stopped selling its most “military-like” versions of the Mini-14

If you want to buy their shitty lost wax investment cast receivers, knock yourself out.
They have a long, proud history of being pieces of shit.

From an article:
It was within recent memory, at least at the time, that Bill Ruger, Sr told America, “No honest man needs more than ten rounds in a magazine.” Indeed, some of the first proposals for magazine capacity limits came from Mr. Ruger himself, and in 1989 the company voluntarily stopped selling its most “military-like” versions of the Mini-14
Dude: that was 30 years ago, Bill Ruger is long dead, the present company has the EXACT OPPOSITE philosophy, and anyway it’s 100% irrelevant to the discussion.

You don’t like them, fine. Most people who own them, love them. Sure the old ones had issues. The current Hawkeye line is uniformly excellent for the price.
Accuracy is very good in the hunting rifles, and fantastic in the heavy barreled models. Prefer a smoother action feel? Buy a push feed rifle, or use it for awhile until it smooths out— they all smooth out with use.

I get that you don’t like it, but it’s unfair to the OP to paint the Hawkeye as a POS. That’s simply wrong, and he could miss out on a great rifle as a result of your mischaracterization.

Reactions: MarkBlue
To the OP, try to get your hands on both rifles before you buy. If the LRT’s action feel turns you off, and you don’t like the chassis feel of the RPR, look into the Howa Bravo or the Bergara HMR.

Dude: that was 30 years ago, Bill Ruger is long dead, the present company has the EXACT OPPOSITE philosophy, and anyway it’s 100% irrelevant to the discussion.

You don’t like them, fine. Most people who own them, love them. Sure the old ones had issues. The current Hawkeye line is uniformly excellent for the price.
Accuracy is very good in the hunting rifles, and fantastic in the heavy barreled models. Prefer a smoother action feel? Buy a push feed rifle, or use it for awhile until it smooths out— they all smooth out with use.

I get that you don’t like it, but it’s unfair to the OP to paint the Hawkeye as a POS. That’s simply wrong, and he could miss out on a great rifle as a result of your mischaracterization.
What is your "data point" for being "uniformly excellent"? the m77 has a very long history and it is shitty.
How many gunsmiths work on m77's?
I personally think you are doing a disservice by recommending a rifle with a very long history of problems.
Apparently, you are emotionally invested in your rugers.

What is your "data point" for being "uniformly excellent"? the m77 has a very long history and it is shitty.
How many gunsmiths work on m77's?
I personally think you are doing a disservice by recommending a rifle with a very long history of problems.
Apparently, you are emotionally invested in your rugers.
In my post here I admitted I don’t really like Rugers. I’ve had several over the past 30 years and sold most of them because they didn’t shoot well. I kept a heavy barrel M77 .220 swift because it really hammers. A few years ago I bought a RPR 6.5 creedmoor that shoots pretty well. I recently bought a Ruger Hawkeye long Range Target and in totally stock form it shoots as well or better than my GA Precision rifles!
I’m still not a Ruger fan but it’s hard not to love a $814 factory gun that’ll shoot with a $5000-$6000 custom Remington 700 Clone, and do it with factory ammo.

In my post here I admitted I don’t really like Rugers. I’ve had several over the past 30 years and sold most of them because they didn’t shoot well. I kept a heavy barrel M77 .220 swift because it really hammers. A few years ago I bought a RPR 6.5 creedmoor that shoots pretty well. I recently bought a Ruger Hawkeye long Range Target and in totally stock form it shoots as well or better than my GA Precision rifles!
I’m still not a Ruger fan but it’s hard not to love a $814 factory gun that’ll shoot with a $5000-$6000 custom Remington 700 Clone, and do it with factory ammo.
I'm am far from a ruger fan, however, I believe they did a fantastic job with the RPR.
I really believe it is one of the best value, entry level precision rifles available.
I also like the GP100 and security six.
The number 1 is probably one of the most beautiful mass produced rifles available, but I won't buy one because it suffers the same affliction that the 77 does.

Call it anecdotal, and I’m only speaking about Hawkeyes, NOT the M77s that you keep mentioning and the OP didn’t ask about; but I have never seen a Hawkeye that didn’t shoot. Subpar trigger, sometimes, less-smooth action, sure.

I’ve never encountered one that had feeding problems of any sort, and I’ve never encountered one that wasn’t more than accurate enough for its intended application; be that big game hunting, varmint shooting, or long range. Predator, Guide Gun, Varmint/Target, LRT, FTW, African, Scout, the list goes on. This is is a sample size of dozens over 10 years.

I don’t know where you live, but I am in Alaska. If a gunsmith here doesn’t work on Rugers he probably won’t stay in business. I’m sure things are different in other parts of the country. Lots of guides and dedicated hardcore hunters here trust the M77/Hawkeye. Talking about guys who could buy whatever they want and choose this one.

I never said this is the perfect rifle or anything like it... obviously it’s not the ideal action for PRS or other long range comp shooting. I have no interest in being “right“ on this, I’m just trying to help the OP by pointing out that it’s NOT a piece of shit. It’s not a piece of shit, OK? The basic design has been around and highly successful for over 50 years and it’s not going anywhere. It’s like saying the model 70 or K98 or Glock or 1911 is a piece of shit— you can say it all you want but that doesn’t make it true.

Ruger has amazing customer service. Not that anyone has said otherwise on here...but I’m just stating, if there is a problem, Ruger will fix it.

As far as the “less than 50/50 chance of getting a good shooting Ruger” comment. I’m definitely calling outright bullshit on that.

I don’t know what Ruger has been doing with their rifle barrels, but they shoot WAY above their price point. $400 Ruger Americans commonly shooting 1/2 MOA or less. Do the factory stocks suck? Yes....Are the actions the smoothest? No....but damn they shoot good

Call it anecdotal, and I’m only speaking about Hawkeyes, NOT the M77s that you keep mentioning and the OP didn’t ask about; but I have never seen a Hawkeye that didn’t shoot. Subpar trigger, sometimes, less-smooth action, sure.

I’ve never encountered one that had feeding problems of any sort, and I’ve never encountered one that wasn’t more than accurate enough for its intended application; be that big game hunting, varmint shooting, or long range. Predator, Guide Gun, Varmint/Target, LRT, FTW, African, Scout, the list goes on. This is is a sample size of dozens over 10 years.

I don’t know where you live, but I am in Alaska. If a gunsmith here doesn’t work on Rugers he probably won’t stay in business. I’m sure things are different in other parts of the country. Lots of guides and dedicated hardcore hunters here trust the M77/Hawkeye. Talking about guys who could buy whatever they want and choose this one.

I never said this is the perfect rifle or anything like it... obviously it’s not the ideal action for PRS or other long range comp shooting. I have no interest in being “right“ on this, I’m just trying to help the OP by pointing out that it’s NOT a piece of shit. It’s not a piece of shit, OK? The basic design has been around and highly successful for over 50 years and it’s not going anywhere. It’s like saying the model 70 or K98 or Glock or 1911 is a piece of shit— you can say it all you want but that doesn’t make it true.
I'm reasonably certain one of the big factors for their popularity where you live is the controlled round feed.
Not a bad consideration for your locale and the fact that a lot of critters there would be happy to eat you.
One of the best things to happen to ruger was the fact that bill finally kicked the bucket.
If I want CRF, I'll be happy to buy a CZ.

I'm glad you have had good luck with your rugers.
How many custom M77 based rifles do you see at PRS matches or in the hands of LE marksman?
The point being, with. Round like the 6.5 PRC, he's looking at a barrel life around 1000 rounds.
Who's gonna rebarrel an M77 (which the Hawkeye is)?

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I figure I should check back in here and possibly help slow the debate. I have ruled out the Hawkeye. Honestly, the big sticking point for me is the stock and lack of aftermarket support. I've also decided not to go with the PRC chambering. I have done a fair bit of handloading in the past but, I don't have time right now and PRC ammo is not easily obtained from what I can see.

Bob

Reactions: Tac Beard
There is life outside the 'hide.

Guess it's not really a concern now. However the m77 i owned in 30-06 was everything I needed it to be. If I missed anything it wasn't because the rifle failed me.

There are other actions I prefer, but I can't bad mouth the ruger I had. I sold it to my brother after I shot out the barrel, but I'm sure I could call around and most smiths would be happy to take my money to work on it.

I'm reasonably certain one of the big factors for their popularity where you live is the controlled round feed.
Not a bad consideration for your locale and the fact that a lot of critters there would be happy to eat you.
One of the best things to happen to ruger was the fact that bill finally kicked the bucket.
If I want CRF, I'll be happy to buy a CZ.

I'm glad you have had good luck with your rugers.
How many custom M77 based rifles do you see at PRS matches or in the hands of LE marksman?
The point being, with. Round like the 6.5 PRC, he's looking at a barrel life around 1000 rounds.
Who's gonna rebarrel an M77 (which the Hawkeye is)?

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

“My Rugers” lol. The only Hawkeye in my house is owned by my 16 year old son. It’s a great gun, like every other one I’ve been around.

Rebarreling one isn’t much different from doing the same to a Kimber or M70 or CZ. Any good smith that can handle one of those can handle a Ruger. Is it a Rem 700? No. Can you use a prefit barrel? No.

I already said it’s not a PRS gun, maybe you missed that.

Yes, CRF is obviously a factor for guys choosing the Ruger— but if it wasn’t well executed, the rifle would be a punchline— but it’s not a punchline, it’s highly sought-after. I personally prefer a Model 70/Kimber/MRC for a CRF. Haven’t had the pleasure of trying out a Mausingfield etc., no doubt they’re on another level.

The third generation is called the Hawkeye— they dropped the M77 name. Yes it shares lineage with the M77 and M77 MkII, but to me the Hawkeye is head and shoulders above. It’s better executed in every way, which is why I consider it to stand on its own apart from its predecessors.

“My Rugers” lol. The only Hawkeye in my house is owned by my 16 year old son. It’s a great gun, like every other one I’ve been around.

Rebarreling one isn’t much different from doing the same to a Kimber or M70 or CZ. Any good smith that can handle one of those can handle a Ruger. Is it a Rem 700? No. Can you use a prefit barrel? No.

I already said it’s not a PRS gun, maybe you missed that.

Yes, CRF is obviously a factor for guys choosing the Ruger— but if it wasn’t well executed, the rifle would be a punchline— but it’s not a punchline, it’s highly sought-after. I personally prefer a Model 70/Kimber/MRC for a CRF. Haven’t had the pleasure of trying out a Mausingfield etc., no doubt they’re on another level.

The third generation is called the Hawkeye— they dropped the M77 name. Yes it shares lineage with the M77 and M77 MkII, but to me the Hawkeye is head and shoulders above. It’s better executed in every way, which is why I consider it to stand on its own apart from its predecessors.
So you assertion that all Hawkeye rifles are good to go and stellar performers in every respect is based on a sample size of one?
They dropped the M77 name, but the action is identical.
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

So you assertion that all Hawkeye rifles are good to go and stellar performers in every respect is based on a sample size of one?
They dropped the M77 name, but the action is identical.
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit, is it?

Good job missing and/or misunderstanding every. single. point.

A rifle smith that can’t rebarrel a Ruger m77/MKII/Hawkeye is really not a person I want working on any rifle, gnomesayin? A gunsmith that won’t, well, that’s his choice.

Apparently you can't comprehend the meaning of the words you wrote, on the basis of owning exactly one.
*SIGH*

It’s the only one IN MY HOUSE, RIGHT NOW. I felt compelled to mention that, since you kept accusing me of being emotionally attached to “my Rugers”.

I have extensive experience with these rifles, and I’ve pointed that out many times. Jesus Christ, try to have a reasonable debate and this is what I get.

I have the Hawkeye LRT in 6.5 prc and for the most part am very happy with it. I only have 80 rounds on it- and the action has already smoothed out a bunch... on the first box it was a little rough and wasn't always working as controlled feed- but now it does. The stock really fits me and I see no reason to change it. I also really like the 2 stage trigger- much better than the RPR. Mine is shooting excellent groups at 200 yards- nothing to brag about at 1000 yards but I blame that on the factory ammo that I bought just for brass. I picked up the only 4 boxes i could find- and they came from 2 different lots. The one lot shot 3 inches higher at 200 than the other- and when I went to 1000 yards I had to dial 2.25 MOA difference between them. Even on the same lot the ES are some of the highest I have seen in factory ammo.

My only real complaint is that the 6.5 prc shouldn't have been a short action. I can't load out to the length I want, and sometimes when I try to eject a non fired cartridge it hangs up on the action because the port is not big enough. But for the money I am very happy with it- especially considering I spent more for a ARC nucleus action than I did for the complete gun. I did ask a couple gunsmiths about barrel changes and although they didn't seem like it was their favorite to work on- they both said they could do a barrel change.

Not a PRS gun... but still a fun target rifle.

I shot this 5 round , 200 yard group yesterday in 10+ mph wind with my bone stock Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target 6.5 PRC using factory hornady 143 ELD-X hunting ammo, not match ammo. For a $814 rifle I’m happy with the way it shoots factory hunting ammo.

Attachments

• CAAF4DEF-1817-4D3C-9CA7-DA3CA4DEE2A2.jpeg
    CAAF4DEF-1817-4D3C-9CA7-DA3CA4DEE2A2.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 68
Chiming in here on being pro Ruger. I have several Ruger firearms and all of them perform flawlessly. For reasons I can't quite pinpoint, I have always been attracted to them. But recently I learned just how awesome they are. I have a P90 .45 that is one of my favorite carry weapons. It's heavy (I like heavy guns), has never jammed and has always shot accurately. I realized that after probably 20 years of shooting this gun that the barrel looked almost smooth. I've put 1000's of rounds through it. I called Ruger to find out how I could go about purchasing a new replacement barrel for it. The rep told me just to send in the gun and they would fit a new barrel to it....

Wait for it....

At no charge.

I was blown away. I explained that the gun is 20 years or more old and I was happy to pay for a new barrel. He just told me to call back when I was ready to send it in, they would provide an RA# and they will take care of the rest. Oh, and thanks for being a loyal Ruger customer.

So go ahead and shoot the hell out of whatever Ruger you own or buy. They take care of their customers.
I finger fucked one way back in the early 90's. I think they were the P89 back then. I was impressed with how smooth the trigger pull was. I ultimately went with an EAA Witness.

I know this thread is a few months old, but it is one that I was following because I was interested in the ruger hawkeye long range.

I orginally was interested in the 6.5 prc but at the last moment (with both guns on the gun store counter) I decided to get the ruger hawkeye long range in .300 win mag. I also picked up brass (Winchester), bullets (225 eld) and a few powders (no h1000 available).

I did no load development because I was to inpatient and reloaded 20 rounds to hit the range with to test out the rifle. I used RL 26, 73 grains, 225 eld, cci 200 primers. I am averaging 2780 fps with that load. First 3 shots out of the rifle grouped about .8 inch 3 shot group (I feel some of that was me not being used to a 300 win mag, usually shoot 6mm ). For my fourth shot I decided to go for my 1200 yard target and had a perfect hit. I shot 4 more rounds and all of them hit the 1200 yard target.

I have had this rifle out 3 more times and have only about 70 rounds through it. I did no more load development and have shot .5 inch groups with this rifle and that load.

I am extremely pleased with this rifle. I also have a ruger precision, howa hcr and tikka trs-1 . I believe this rifle is as good as any of those rifles. In my opinion the Hawkeye long range is a better rifle than the precision, I prefer the action and the stock fits me better. I had concerns about the stock but I think it's a really good stock. Its strong, feels nice, comfortable to shoot, recoil is not bad (like shooting a ruger scout it 308 ). This has been my experience with the ruger hawkeye long range.

Entertaining reading back through this thread! I ended up buying a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5CM. Have about 300 rounds through it and couldn't be happier. Shoots 1/2moa all day with Hornady 140gr ELD-M factory ammo. Just starting load development on it since the custom knife market died with the economy and I have some extra time. I like the Tikka action so much, I bought a new donor T3x Lite to build a 6mm Creedmoor rifle as well.

Bob

Why does everyone say it's "not a PRS gun"? Sorry I'm new to precision shooting and would like to try a competition someday. The Hawkeye LRT seems like a decent (affordable for me) starter rifle. It's specifically designed for competition according to Ruger but maybe they are just saying that? Out of curiosity, what are minimum requirements for a "PRS gun"?

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
Why does everyone say it's "not a PRS gun"? Sorry I'm new to precision shooting and would like to try a competition someday. The Hawkeye LRT seems like a decent (affordable for me) starter rifle. It's specifically designed for competition according to Ruger but maybe they are just saying that? Out of curiosity, what are minimum requirements for a "PRS gun"?
I jus finished eating popcorn and reading this whole thread, I, like MarkBlue, wanna know everyones thoughts...is it the crf?

-Reagan

I never shot a competition so I can not answer if it is a good gun for that purpose. But it shots very well and I am pleased with it. It compares favorably to my other rifles, I prefer it over my ruger precision.

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
I think the Hawkeye action in general, and older models specifically, just isn’t a popular choice for competition. That certainly doesn’t mean it can’t be used for it.

Ruger seems to have the accuracy thing figured out now. The LRT would be a perfectly fine choice to try out in a PRS comp. The biggest shortcoming for longer-term competition use is that the action can’t use prefit barrels.