• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ruger Scout Optic Options

BlackWhiskey

USMC
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Salt Lake County, Utah
I just picked up a Ruger Gunsight Scout for a truck gun/plinker(ish) rifle. I ordered an XS scope base for it and plan to run a low power (1.5-5ish or 3-9x) scope on it to hopefully reach out to around 800 yds on steel, and hunt out to 300 yds.

I have never built nor used a rifle such as this so your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Features that I would prefer:

Illumination
Mil reticle
Mil adjustments
Semi rugged
$600 ball park

Scopes I have looked at that have interested me are:

Falcon 1.5-5
Vortex 2.5-10 PST
Leupold 3-9 VX-R

Semper Fi,

Cory

Re: Ruger Scout Optic Options

I like the Weaver but it's a bit big for what I am looking to do. I would like to stay in the low 40s as far as objective sizes are concerned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on what you said your intentions were for the rifle, out of the list I would vote for the PST. </div></div>

What is the reason you would go with the PST over the Leupold? They are both very similar and both really appeal to me.

My roommate has the Leupold VXR 1.5-5 SPR on his GSR & it's the perfect combo for a truck/hog gun. The firedot is pretty cool, the scope is very lightweight, compact & you could field that thing all day.

We first tried his Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x and the scope overwhelmed the sub-7lb rifle, visually & weight balance.

If you haven't fired it yet, you may end up looking into a good brake cause it kicks like a mule.

For what it's worth, I have the XS rail on mine and run the following:
- ghost rings w/ standard ammo and no suppressor
- dot scope in scout position w/ subsonics and a can
- cheapo 3-9 for standard ammo w/o the can
- Vortex 5-15 (the Midway mil-mil special - great deal at $399) w/ the can - should be good w/ dial up out to about 900 yards - have shot it a bit out to about 550