• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR 556? Bolt assembly?

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    Anybody had the chance to put one of rugers new AR's through its paces??? looks like a pretty good platform...

Also, what's the advantages of a chrome bolt assembly as opposed to a black matte assembly? I need to buy a new assembly for my RRA, where should I look first?

lastly, I had my fair share of 2 pt slings; I'm now looking for a single pt sling for my carbine. What do you prefer?

Thanks for any advice given

Kinnamon

Re: Ruger SR 556? Bolt assembly?

I was able to fondle one this weekend but didn't have the opportunity to shoot it. It was nicely assembled and didn't feel like a rattletrap. It came in a soft case that was significantly taller than it needed to be. I hope to get the chance to shoot it soon.

Darin

i havent handled one, or heard from anyone that has.its relatively new, but im not surprised they came out with it, everyone is trying to jump into the piston kool-aid. not that there is anything wrong with piston guns, but i dont think i see anything "revolutionary" about ruger's. its just a generic piston AR with their name stamped on it.

Chrome bolt's stay cleaner, perform smoother, are considered more reliable, stay cooler(or so they say), and look prettier. why do you need to buy a new assembly for your RRA? also i cant give ya any advice on a 1 point sling as i do not use them. its all personal preference.

Well my RRA (20" coyote model) has been giving me some problems. I've put about 500 rds down the tube since I bought it brand new. I noticed that the bolt face was collecting an excessive amount of corrision (most likely brass build up from sub par ammo) on the bolt face (yes I do clean my weapons throughly). Eventually it would not eject the spent round. Then each time I cleared the malfunction and went to rack a new round the bolt would not rotate and it would push the next round in the magazine straingth into the upper portion of the receiver. No matter what cleaning agent I used the brass corrosion would not come off. So I took it to work and sand blasted and glass beaded the corroded areas. It took the corrosion off and also the protective matte black material as well (as I new it would). So now that I found the problem (it works just fine now); I've been trying to find a new assembly to have a fully functional AR.

anybody got a new one forsale?

Thanks for any adavice given

by corrosion do you mean carbon? corrosion is usually oxidation and rust, not a thick slimy carbon build up, the rifle would have to be HARD pressed to corrode after only 500 rounds, unless you were firing nasty ammo

Nope... corrosion. I know the difference. After glass bead blasting it I noticed corrision located around the radius of the bolt head. The only ammo that I've fired in bulk has been UMC 55gr Remmy.

I'm just trying to find a new one at a fair price to get my toy back to a reliable state. I'll probably shell out the money for a chrome assembly and be done with it.

Thanks for your insight,

Kinnamon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope... corrosion. I know the difference. <span style="color: #FF0000">After glass bead blasting </span>it I noticed corrosion located around the radius of the bolt head. The only ammo that I've fired in bulk has been UMC 55gr Remmy.

I'm just trying to find a new one at a fair price to get my toy back to a reliable state. I'll probably shell out the money for a chrome assembly and be done with it.

Thanks for your insight,

Kinnamon </div></div>

If you knew proper cleaning techniques, you wouldn't need to bead blast anything and this is most likely why you have a problem. I actually went back and re-read your post, doesn't really seem like a smart thing to do, might wanna spend some time learning methods of cleaning. hell at that rate you might as well pack up your crayons and get the f*ck off the playground.

To sum it up,
    The problem with your rifle is the operator and his cleaning techniques.

Fix,
    Pack up your crayons and get the f*ck off the playground!

If you felt the need to "bead-blast" anything after only 500 rounds then throw it away! The ammo you shot is NOT corrosive and therefore what you saw was NOT corrosion. Sounds like you really don't have a clue and completely f'd up your BCG so like I said, throw it away and get another one. If the bolt is not rotating then there is some kind of catastrophic failure and the BCG is FUBAR!!!