• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR 556

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Got my G&A yesterday. Looks like a very nice piston operated AR-ish rifle. $1995? Ouch.

Greg

Re: Ruger SR 556

I just wanted to try this rifle out is why I purchased it, Its a nice package,

no real complaints about it except.
No front sling attachment point
Only thing in the upper that is standard is the bolt and charging handle
Right now if it breaks, it has to go back to ruger for repair.

It will be recalled like all other Ruger products.
I am not a fan of the numerous roll pins they use to hold it together.

Whats the point of having an adjustable gas system if you have to carry some sort of tool around to turn the gas knob up or down?

While it looks nice, not a fan of how they decided to put it together. Nothing is common as far as parts and like you said if it breaks, it has to go back to Ruger....

ruger can suck it. I don't agree with their political policy. Not to mention, just about everything they put out, requires a ton of work to get repeatable accuracy.

Lots of other reputable companies to give your money to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be recalled like all other Ruger products.

Whats the point of having an adjustable gas system if you have to carry some sort of tool around to turn the gas knob up or down?

While it looks nice, not a fan of how they decided to put it together. Nothing is common as far as parts and like you said if it breaks, it has to go back to Ruger....

</div></div>

You ever seen the ruger or even held one? Not sure why you think you need a tool to adjust the system

The Roll pins have a purpose, not a fan of them, but they are less likely to walk out while shooting than a straight pin,

And we will see on the Recall,
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be recalled like all other Ruger products.

</div></div>

You ever seen the ruger or even held one? Not sure why you think you need a tool to adjust the system

The Roll pins have a purpose, not a fan of them, but they are less likely to walk out while shooting than a straight pin,

grin.gif
</div></div>

Actually yes I have held one. Ive been looking at one everyday day I venture into our gun store. What happens when you punch a roll pin out to many times? It uncoils and your on the search for a new one. I work with heavy machinery everyday and when we see roll pins we all frown.

And yes you DO HAVE TO USE A TOOL to manipulate the gas knob... Its so stiff I had to get a long allen wrench to make it turn.

Have you actually held one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be recalled like all other Ruger products.

</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

Actually yes I have held one. Ive been looking at one everyday day I venture into our gun store. What happens when you punch a roll pin out to many times? It uncoils and your on the search for a new one. I work with heavy machinery everyday and when we see roll pins we all frown.

And yes you DO HAVE TO USE A TOOL to manipulate the gas knob... Its so stiff I had to get a long allen wrench to make it turn.

Have you actually held one? </div></div>

LOL click on either thread listed here. Not only have I held one I have 1500 on mine at current, shooting for 2k by the time I head back to the sandbox
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> First 1000, posted here on the hide

1500 review </div></div>

No tool needed to change the gas settings, maybe your keyboard fingers are strong but your man grip is weak?
grin.gif

Reactions: Njwoodworker

Fly your ass down here and show me what I'm doing wrong then internet smarty pants.
smile.gif

If its not to be used with a tool then why the large circle in the middle of the gas knob controls? This mofo is to tight to be manipulated by hand. We have all tried. I might have to give my "internet fingers" a break because I just finished up a range day with a suppressed 50BMG.

All in all its a Ruger. I know their reputation. I casted my thoughts.... deal with it!

My experience with Ruger has all been good, a pair of KM77VT MKII's chambered in .308 and .22-250, and a recent sight-in with a rather lackluster and perhaps too cutely engineered Mini-14 that eventually shot surprisingly better than I expected (but no better than an AK beyond 50 steps, same zero was right back on at 200 on the 16x20 steel plate gong). For a gotothefanwithabaggapoop-kinda day, I'd keep it around. The VT's were consistently tackdriving accurate and trustworthy, albeit a tad pricey.

According to a lot of the earlier post I read, the m4 gas system is the only way to go, and I agree, as long as the US-M4CCK-modification has been installed. The M-4 is untouchable after that.

Im not knocking the rifle in its entirety. Im just saying, with past hassle from Ruger products Im skeptic to buy one. It has its strong points and weak ones, in my opinion of course.

I am a fan of LWRC. Have owned 3 now down to two.

We will see where this SR556 ends up!

LWRC-very good rifle,however a little pricey for a lot of shooters.The M-4 modification, (M4CCK ) much cheaper.

Why buy Ruger after their participation in the 1994 crime bill (the ban that just let up a few years ago)? I will not support them unless they were the last man standing and I had no other options. Their particioation is well documented if you take some time to look it up.

It's a little ironic that they've started making rifles that they helped ban in the first place. I really hope you go with another company. There are too many options to support a company guilty of treason against our community.

Bill Ruger supported magazine restrictions for the AWB.

The man is dead and other people own the company now. They are selling 30rd mags for the mini-14 and selling an EBR. I think that's pretty strong evidence that they don't agree with the former owner's policies. I see no reason to punish them for a dead man's error.