• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR-556E

Jager247

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
VA
I was scoping out the LGS the other day and saw a few things that caught my eye. One was a core 15 with full length hand guard, and the other was a Ruger SR-556E. I've had a crap ton of AR's in the past but all of them have been DI's. I really wasn't in the market for another AR, but for some reason I couldn't stop fondling the Ruger. And since its gas piston driven I figured I had to have it.

So I bought some other goodies to go along with it, magpul sights, ammo and 2 more magpul mags to go with it. Once I got home I was looking at the ruger site and they said the new 2013 Sr-556E now ship with rapid deploy sights. Mine had none so I figured it was a left over 2012. But since I had nothing to lose, I called Ruger's CS. Gave them the SN and the guy tells me that it should have shipped with the sights, but the vendor had not sent the sights to Ruger yet. He said he has them now and wiuld ship them to me on Monday.

Well I got the itch to shoot it the next day, but didn't want to open the magpul sights because I planned on taking them back once my sights got here so I was SOL. Well I dug through my box of parts looking for some spare sights and found an old NCstar reflex red dot. Lucky for me the battery's were still good so I slapped it on and headed to the range

I got to the range and gave it a good cleaning then started the process of breaking in the barrel. So have each shot I let the barrel cool down then cleaned and then repeated this for the next 10 rounds while adjusting the red dot to be on target. Next I fired a string of 3 shots waiting for the barrel to cool between shots. Cleaned the barrel again then fired a shot to foul the barrel. Then shot my last 3 shots into my target which was set up at 100 yards.

I hop to get more time behind it next weekend once I get the irons on it. Once those get sighted in I'll look for some better optics.

659103A1-6262-44C2-B60F-DB734287D4E0-13152-00000184C8895AF6_zps93c2207b.jpg

582B5585-849D-44C4-B2AA-E3C6A7379DBD-13152-00000184D038858F_zps7a61075e.jpg

7C343DAC-4667-4B26-8FB3-368084757ADA-13152-00000184D4120CA0_zpsc3a26225.jpg

CDF5938E-A910-4401-B750-AC1A2CEF81FF-13152-00000184DBAFA223_zps51d830de.jpg

They would have all been touching if you'd of just shot it and skipped breaking the barrel break-in ;)

Not a bad little shooter you got there.

Very nice! I like the look of that one right out of he box. I don't own an AR style 556 yet but will some time.

Very nice! I like the look of that one right out of he box. I don't own an AR style 556 yet but will some time.

Yes I agree. It's sexy looking with that hand guard on it. I think that was the thing mostly that drew me too it. It was between the Ruger and a core 15 with full length hand guards. They were the same price, do it was a no brainier for me.

Looks like a good one. All it took was one time cleaning a piston gun after a hard day at the range and I was sold. Congrats!

I like the newer handguards. I have a sr556 and dont like the fact i cant remove the handguard. Do they still use the roll pins in the newer models?

I had one of them with the chrome bolt and Troy rail which was a very good shooter. Ruger did a good job with these. I sold mine because I still prefer DI guns and the availability of parts.

Stop cleaning your barrel!!! You don't need to break it in like that. Shoot it! Run a dry bore-snake through it one time after a range trip and put it away. When accuracy drops then clean it.

Nice rifle though. It should serve you well for a long time.