• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR 762

Texgal_338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2005
north of Las Vegas
Just bought this rifle, took it to the range today.

Used some Federal XM80C to get it on paper. This ammo and rifle are NOT compatible; out of 20 rnds, there were 8 stovepipes and about 6 fail to feed.
Tried some FGMM 168 ammo, not even one problem.
With the XM80C the ejected rnd went only about a foot or so, with the FGMM the ejected rnd went about 6 ft.

Won't shoot this rifle again until i get a new trigger for it, the stock trigger is absolutely horrid. Can't measure the pull, my scale doesn't go that high.

Will report back after a new trigger is installed.

I have had ammo issues with a SR 556, specifically Wolf. The problem was the 4 position gas system was not tuned for that ammo. It would cycle other ammo fine but not the wolf. Dial a little more gas flow and the problem was gone. I am just saying that could be your problem with the 8 stovepipes and the 6 fail to feeds. It sounds like the action is not being blown back its full length.

Congrats on the new rifle. I know lots of folks are looking for more and more range reports on these rifles based on their price range and features available for that price.

As for the woes you have had thus far, as alman said, try adjusting the gas regulator to one of the other three (of four) settings to see if you can't get any better performance. Also, be sure to wet the rifle down with your preferred lubricant at all the usual points before running it. As with many factory fresh rifles, you may need a little "break in" (not the barrel) to get everything running smoothly.

As for the trigger...that was more or less my experience with the single sample I have had in hand. It wasn't gritty or sloppy, but it was DAMNED heavy (guessing it was ~8lbs+ based on the limited 4-5x dry firing it...haven't gotten to shoot one live yet). Nothing a good Geissele or other quality aftermarket FCG won't fix up in a hurry! ;)

Just bought this rifle, took it to the range today.

Used some Federal XM80C to get it on paper. This ammo and rifle are NOT compatible; out of 20 rnds, there were 8 stovepipes and about 6 fail to feed.
Tried some FGMM 168 ammo, not even one problem.
With the XM80C the ejected rnd went only about a foot or so, with the FGMM the ejected rnd went about 6 ft.

Won't shoot this rifle again until i get a new trigger for it, the stock trigger is absolutely horrid. Can't measure the pull, my scale doesn't go that high.

Will report back after a new trigger is installed.

The gas system has ~4 settings it's probably set for heavier loads so won't cycle with the lighter stuff.

Just picked up a Ruger SR762 myself. Couldnt pass it up for the price. I have to agree on the trigger. Its is horrid. I have a new Trigger, Muzzle brake, Magpul PRS stock and rifle buffer tube in the works. My first outing at the range was enjoyable. 60 rounds down the tube before the tear down for upgrades.

Gents, these are good rifles. I knew I would get one based on my SR556's performance. Trigger on mine was the same, 8lbs, but never an issue because as soon as it came out of the box it went straight to the vice for upgrades. I installed a surefire 762 muzzle break. A Rock River NM 2 stage trigger. And mounted a Aimpoint Pro on it. I did not buy it as a precision weapon but more as a hunting rifle ( I don't hunt anymore ). I load 150 Nosler BT's with IMR 3031 and Hornady 150 fmjbt's with Win 748 . Both good, accurate loads in the past. The SR762 produced consistent 3/4 " 5 rd groups at 100 yds. I used my NF 2.5-10X to test accuracy. I have yet to experience a failure to feed or eject after 420 rds. So my opinion is it's every bit as good as my SR556 turned out to be.

I am finding positive results with my 7.62. Have put two sets of 80 rounds through it. Talon remanufactured 147gr FMJ (bought at $5/box - oh the agony of inflation!!!!). In the first 80 I had the gas as set from factory at #2. Three short stroke malfs. In the second session I turned it up to #3. Not a single hiccup. Brass moved from 5 O'clock at #2 to 3 O'clock at #3 setting.

I was zeroing it with a 4X ACOG, so not really a precision optic for accuracy testing. It seems to want to shoot, edging to 1.5" at 100 yards. Inadequate optic for that testing, and only one load so far - will have to get some match ammo and try it out.

Weight with round in chamber, full mag, ACOG, and sling is 11.5 pounds. It does not feel that bad, I surmised due to the pistol grip allowing more positive control (my normal frame of reference is a Garand or M1A). The shorter barrel is very welcome for maneuverability.

Wonder which Ruger engineer had the bowl of stupid for breakfast and decided to not send it out the door with the ability to mount a sling on the thing!?!?!? So close to an awesome fielding and that just is about like a screen door on a submarine.

Yes, the trigger required you to get stronger by doing some grip exercises. However, it does break fairly well - just have to have a strong finger.

The irons seem adequate.

I had zero problems with Gen 3 PMAGs in contrast to some posts I have read about on other boards.

I count it as a keeper - when I sell off my para FAL and AUG, then I just may buy a second one of these!. (2 is one, one is none).

USMA84DAB

OUCH, hopefully it smoothens out for you, my friend was contemplating on that or saving the money and build a better quality AR-10.

well, finally got a geiselle DMR trigger for it. shoots much, much better now.
yes, went to setting #3 on the gas, the mil-surp works fine on that setting.
rifle is a keeper.

I got mine a few months ago . Runs great but my loads are kinda warm. Put a Vortex 1-4 PST on it. 2" groups at 200yards with. 170gr. Lapua's off the bench. Trigger pull is more than the weight oh the gun!

I dropped in a Geissele SSA-E trigger as soon as I could on my Ruger SR762. The stock trigger is trash. I have a Vortex 2.5-10x33 on top (can't afford the NF) and the LaRue/Magpul RISR/CTR combo stock and I'm experiencing the 3/4" groups with 168gr Vmax. My range goes out to 800 yards and I've had pretty consistent hits between 500-800yds as well. I'm very happy with it, as my first AR platform. Exp. being on a just out of college budget, I couldn't ask for more.